Labour Ministry’s National Employment Agency rep: "Most of them don’t want skills, they just want jobs,”

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Labour Ministry’s National Employment Agency rep: "Most of them don’t want skills, they just want jobs,”

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Labour Ministry’s National Employment Agency has set up a stand at the transit centre to connect workers with local jobs. Touch Sophat, a representative of NEA, said they approached migrants to provide them with opportunities in 77 companies in the country that were looking for low-skilled labourers.

“Our officers will then contact them. Most of them don’t want skills, they just want jobs,” he said
:facepalm: Oh my giddy god. Did i just read it right? Did the Labour Ministry’s National Employment Agency really just say that poor illiterate Cambodians' don't want training so they can earn better money?

“I heard that we have to spend 20,000 baht [$588] for each passport, not including transport,”
Please someone tell me this isn't so. It seems worse for the Cambodians than it is for the foreigners when it comes to immigration. So they earn around $1000 per year, which they often get at the end of the year. And have to borrow money to live on from the employers. No doubt at a nice interest rate.
And the Cambodian government wants them to fork over $588 for documents?
This is well beyond see crook imo.

http://m.phnompenhpost.com/post-weekend ... isis-focus

Voices from the border

Fearing punishment, and possible arrest, more than 8,000 migrants have left Thailand for Cambodia since late June. While the flow of returnees has abated, it is unclear what will happen when harsh new Thai laws go into effect at the start of next year. Recent returnees face a choice: to get documented and go back or to stay home.

BY LEONIE KIJEWSKI AND YON SINEAT IN BANTEAY MEANCHEY PROVINCEFRIDAY, 14 JULY 2017
Workers step out of a Thai truck packed with Cambodian migrants in Poipet.

Workers step out of a Thai truck packed with Cambodian migrants in Poipet. Sahiba Chawdhary

In a sweaty hall near the Thai border, rows of people sit, exhausted. “Kampong Cham! Prey Veng! Takeo!” a woman shouts into a microphone. For the almost 60 people in the hall returning from Thailand at the migrant Poipet Transit Centre, this is the last stop before going home.

“Banteay Meanchey!” the woman shouts through the microphone. There is a sudden commotion as a group of 14 people rush to the exit, their exhaustion replaced by excitement.

They collect their belongings from the pile of luggage at the front of the hall and then head to the buses that will bring them home.

Throughout the day, eight trucks carrying migrants from Thailand have arrived at the centre, part of an exodus sparked by a sudden change in immigration laws by the junta-led Thai government.

Over the past few weeks, thousands of undocumented Cambodians have returned – both voluntarily and involuntarily – out of fear of punishment by the Thai government. Under a new law, passed at the end of June, undocumented workers could be fined up to $3,000 and subject to five years of imprisonment. Their employers, meanwhile, could be fined $23,571 per undocumented worker.

One of the deportees is Bou Sami, 29, who arrived in Poipet barefoot and, unlike other migrants piling up their belongings, is without any possessions to his name.

Sami was arrested by Thai police while he was on a walk to buy a snack.

“They handcuffed me and put my hands behind my back,” he said. “Then they kicked me with their boots and my head hit on the concrete, injuring my forehead . . . I didn’t get any treatment,” he says.

Last edited by AlonzoPartriz on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
See crook!!!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Labour Ministry’s National Employment Agency rep: "Most of them don’t want skills, they just want jobs,”

Post by Duncan »

[quote=AlonzoPartriz post_id=182139 time=1500005136 user_id=8447]
Labour Ministry’s National Employment Agency has set up a stand at the transit centre to connect workers with local jobs. Touch Sophat, a representative of NEA, said they approached migrants to provide them with opportunities in 77 companies in the country that were looking for low-skilled labourers.

“Our officers will then contact them. Most of them don’t want skills, they just want jobs,” he said

:facepalm: Oh my giddy god. Did i just read it right? Did the Labour Ministry’s National Employment Agency really just say that poor illiterate Cambodians' don't want training so they can earn better money?

The fact is Cambodians,, just like most asians dont plan for the future. It's all about eat, spend , and work for money now.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Labour Ministry’s National Employment Agency rep: "Most of them don’t want skills, they just want jobs,”

Post by vladimir »

Duncan wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:49 am The fact is Cambodians,, just like most asians dont plan for the future. It's all about eat, spend , and work for money now.
In some respects perhaps, but the number of Khmers studying English and the fact that their parents fork out significant amounts for education contradicts you.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Duncan wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:49 am
AlonzoPartriz wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:05 am Labour Ministry’s National Employment Agency has set up a stand at the transit centre to connect workers with local jobs. Touch Sophat, a representative of NEA, said they approached migrants to provide them with opportunities in 77 companies in the country that were looking for low-skilled labourers.

The fact is Cambodians,, just like most asians dont plan for the future. It's all about eat, spend , and work for money now.
Although it may seem to be like that at times, i expect a different tone from someone who represents a governmental division on employment and employability. Especially after the recent criticism by ASEAN etc.

I think that almost everyone would want to be trained in a skilled job, and within Cambodia. If it was explained to them that the economics would bennifit their families. And most wouldn't need explaining to.

Sami, the man arrested by police, said he went to Thailand three or four times, paying brokers 3,000 baht (about $90) each time. “I used to look for jobs in my hometown, but no one accepts me; they said as I don’t have skills they are better off hiring their relatives and not me,” he said
See crook!!!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

vladimir wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:06 pm
Duncan wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:49 am The fact is Cambodians,, just like most asians dont plan for the future. It's all about eat, spend , and work for money now.
In some respects perhaps, but the number of Khmers studying English and the fact that their parents fork out significant amounts for education contradicts you.
What the parents want [ learn English ], how much money they fork out , and what the kids or students actually do or want has nothing to do with planning for the future. It's all about NOW. I think I know your students better than you do ????
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Duncan wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:20 pm
vladimir wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:06 pm
What the parents want [ learn English ], how much money they fork out , and what the kids or students actually do or want has nothing to do with planning for the future. It's all about NOW. I think I know your students better than you do ????
Uh...where did you buy that stuff you're using?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:05 am

Please someone tell me this isn't so. It seems worse for the Cambodians than it is for the foreigners when it comes to immigration. So they earn around $1000 per year, which they often get at the end of the year. And have to borrow money to live on from the employers. No doubt at a nice interest rate.
Where did you get that figure from? It works out at $83 per month, half of what a garment worker makes.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

20,000 baht
includes a new 10 year passport, 2 year Thai L-A visa, Health checkup, WP and all agent fees and such
Since there than good for 2 full years, its not that expensive when they are guaranteed a job (u cant do the process without a job in hand) making min 300 baht/day ( $8.75) work 6 days/week +overtime, accommodations and 30 baht health care

so $581/24= $24/month
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

One such worker is Nov Pheakdey, 16, who climbs off a truck and is directed to a drop-in centre for children, run by the children’s rights NGO Damnok Tek. The teenager has been working in Bangkok as a construction worker for about a year.

He receives his salary in one lump sum each year, which means that he has to borrow money from his employer to buy anything.

“I came back last year after I got my one-year salary of 30,000 baht [about $880] paid,
so I visited my mother and she asked me for all of my salary for her to build a new house,” he says
However, others get paid a bit more.
In reality, however, migrants often pay much more ( than 20,000 bht). Mean Sopheap, 19, said her employer at Golf Club King Malay had told her he already transferred $824 to an agency in Cambodia for her to get a passport. “He will deduct my salary [of $147 a month] for six months,” she says.

Another worker at the same golf course, Heap Sokhim, 32, says he paid about $677 to an agency in the capital.

Golf Club King Malay could not be reached for confirmation

$147 pm = $1764 per year. She also pays more than 20,000 bht to be legal via a Cambodian fixer, as does her co- worker.

She pays her employer back for his outlay over six months. It doesn't say if he adds interest to the loan.

$147 x 6 months = $882 - $824 = $58.

You're all right after you've worked for free for 6 months out of the two years visa cover I've heard.lol

The workers all need to borrow money from somewhere; MFI, loan shark, employer etc in order to be able to pay the costs of being legal upfront. Which it is required for them to do.

Interesting extra info about the visa being for 2 years instead of 1 Richard, and also the passport length.
Do you really think $ 24 per month for being legal is about right for someone earning even $1,764 per year ( $147 pm) and having to pay back high interest loans of anywhere around a real interest percentage of 70 - 150%?

And remember the first example has to pay the same, but only earns $824 per year - $68.60 per month.

And all that if you've got a clean sheet as far as loans and id card, family book etc goes. If you've just lost your land and already have 5 loans, or haven't got an id card or family book etc, your pretty much fucked as far as working legally goes.
Border police officer Sin Namyong, who calls out the names of provinces into the microphone, says most of the workers wouldn’t be able to apply for the travel book available in Thailand because it requires a family book, identity card and birth certificate

No wonder a lot of my clients have had enough of this country/ government.
Last edited by AlonzoPartriz on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See crook!!!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

the L-A visa is a 2 year non immigrant visa only issued to Cambodians, Burmese or Laotions.
My gf has one
my info is FIRST hand
“I came back last year after I got my one-year salary of 30,000 baht [about $880] paid,
sorry dont believe that. I know many many Burmese working here and they all earn good $$$
BUT do know of some that get fucked by working on fishing boats
travel book available in Thailand
Have never heard of a travel book, Burmese used to get Pink cards and passports ONLY valid for travel to Thailand but that is being phased out now
A friend of mine ( she helped us get my gf her visa) has been dealing with migrants for over 10 years and is the largest in Phuket

All u need to work in Thailand is a valid Passport. The agent Cambodian will handle finding u a job, arranging for ur L-A visa, Heath checkup,WP and medial id card
THIS is where the locals are fucked, not by the thai's, but by shady Cambodian Agents...and these are the ones that are screwing their own people
I have a 3 page list of Legit agents in Cambodia and its available to anyone
Last edited by phuketrichard on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic