Labour Ministry’s National Employment Agency rep: "Most of them don’t want skills, they just want jobs,”

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Labour Ministry’s National Employment Agency rep: "Most of them don’t want skills, they just want jobs,”

Post by phuketrichard »

The old passports, when I first got here, were valid for three years. The new 10 year passport is biometric and the 5 year one is for kids according to the below article.
How many kids with a 5 year passport are working overseas??
i personally think the reporter did a shitty job. :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Re: Labour Ministry’s National Employment Agency rep: "Most of them don’t want skills, they just want jobs,”

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:20 am
The old passports, when I first got here, were valid for three years. The new 10 year passport is biometric and the 5 year one is for kids according to the below article.
i personally think the reporter did a shitty job. :stir:
You seem to be somewhat myopic.Must be all that Thai rich living you keep telling us about. So, after agreeing with her, you now don't agree with her, or any of the other reporters it seems. I wish you'd make your bloody mind up.
:D
I'll try and dig up a Fox news repirt for you lot. Something​ you can really believe in lol.
Last edited by AlonzoPartriz on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
See crook!!!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:57 am
i personally think

the reporter did a shitty job. :stir:
You seem to be somewhat myopic.Must be all that Thai rich living you keep telling us about. So, after agreeing with her, you now don't agree with her, or any of the other reporters it seems. I wish you'd make your bloody mind up.
1. i dont think anyone with a 5 year passport (child) is paying $5-800,00 to extend their passports overseas or is working overseas.
2. anyone with a 10 year passport needs to return to Cambodia to get a new one ( so far NONE would have had to, as they just started issuing them in 2014)

OK?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:08 am
AlonzoPartriz wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:57 am
i personally think

the reporter did a shitty job. :stir:
1. i dont think anyone with a 5 year passport (child) is paying $5-800,00 to extend their passports overseas or is working overseas.
2. anyone with a 10 year passport needs to return to Cambodia to get a new one ( so far NONE would have had to, as they just started issuing them in 2014)

OK?
Not OK. You are missing the whole point of the story. That Cambodians ard paying ridiculously high prices for passports through corruption, which leaves them in debt or undocumented illegals. :facepalm:

As to your points above. You forgot all about 2 year extentions on 3 year passports. That would make the passport a five year one. I guess that's where the confusion lies. Interestingly enough, there are Cambodian kids under five being worked on the streets in Thailand, but i very much doubt they're documented.lol

Next question, Are Cambodians really paying up to $800 or 900 to extend their passports for 2 years? Especially after the PM absolutely promised last time that they would only need to pay $24. $4 for the photo? I know, what's all that about?lol
But multiple workers previously confirmed having extended their passports with Mashita Jaya, and two Cambodian workers in Malaysia confirmed this in interviews yesterday.

“We extended through my company, Mashita Jaya. This is the company that currently controls us,” said Serin Ith, a current migrant worker.

And while Ith welcomed the ministry’s move, he said it was too late for him. “We already paid a high price – too high,” Ith said, maintaining he had spent about $700.

Another migrant worker, Po Lo, said and that he extended his passport with the agency in 2016.
See crook!!!
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

See crook!!!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

u can ONLY get a 10 year Adult passport $100 1 month More if u want it quicker, (no more 3 year passports with 2 2 year extensions)
I do not think there is any market for unofficial Cambodia passports as they have bio metrics now, so u need apply in person and to have ur photo taken, EVEN if u use an agent!!

The UNOFFICIAL rates would apply to the old 3 year passport ONLY

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 11:44:00 AM
PHNOM PENH (The Cambodia Herald) -- Cambodia on Tuesday announced that it would introduce new E-Passport with ten-year validity to make it more convenient for the Cambodian people.

We started to issue new E-Passport from July 15 , said Ke Sovath, deputy director of Department of Identification's department of passport.

He said the E-Passport is of 10-year validity and costs USD 100. Children under five years are also required to make their passports, which cost USD 80 and have five-year validity.

Sovath said that it would take one month to issue a passport after the application.
but still even at $100/10 years it is the most expensive in se asia and camboidans are just about the poorest :beer1:
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

July 27, 2017
Domestic job market is healthy: Minister
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5075194/dom ... -minister/

"Minister of Labour Ith Samheng yesterday hit back at critics claiming the high number of workers migrating to other countries for work is a sign of a weak Cambodian job market.

Speaking at the Intercontinental Hotel after presenting the ministry’s National Employment Policy for 2015 to 2025, Mr Samheng claimed at least 90 percent of able workers in Cambodia were employed.
See crook!!!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:58 am July 27, 2017

"Minister of Labour Ith Samheng yesterday hit back at critics claiming the high number of workers migrating to other countries for work is a sign of a weak Cambodian job market.

Speaking at the Intercontinental Hotel after presenting the ministry’s National Employment Policy for 2015 to 2025, Mr Samheng claimed at least 90 percent of able workers in Cambodia were employed.

That's another post that should be under '' Cambodia You make Me Laugh ''
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Duncan wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:09 am
AlonzoPartriz wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:58 am July 27, 2017

That's another post that should be under '' Cambodia You make Me Laugh ''
Seeing as that thread is also about things that make you want to cry as well, one must ask oneself if there really is a need for any other thread when it comes to Cambodia?
Maybe i should start a forum with that title.
See crook!!!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

seems to contradict this;
In a shop in Thailand’s southeastern Chanthaburi province, 23-year-old Cambodian worker Chheng Chhor Laihieng said he had good reason to seek employment outside his home country.

Despite having limited education and possessing no trade skills, Mr. Laihieng said he earns $12 a day selling cakes—a far cry from earning $4 a day as a farmer in his native Tbong Khmum province.
“I would have been able to find a job as a garment worker or construction worker, but the money is very little if we compare to what I earn here in Chanthaburi,” he said.

Yan Muon, 30, said he left Cambodia three years ago after working as a fruit vendor and construction worker could not pay the bills. Now, he earns $400 per month at an electronic manufacturing factory in Malaysia.
Nearly 2 million Cambodians—many of them unskilled—are estimated to be working in countries across the region, primarily in construction and manufacturing.
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/for- ... ng-132931/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic