STEVEN GRIFFITHS (British Backpacker) Drowns in Kampot River in Cambodia; Family Says He Can't Swim

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: STEVEN GRIFFITHS (British Backpacker) Drowns in Kampot River in Cambodia; Family Says He Can't Swim

Post by Duncan »

jaynewcastle wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:24 pm You just assume everybody can swim, just like everybody can ride a bike

Its something kids learn naturally as they grow up

Your right,,, and that's the problem . Some people never grow up, so they remain as kids the rest of their life.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: STEVEN GRIFFITHS (British Backpacker) Drowns in Kampot River in Cambodia; Family Says He Can't Swim

Post by phuketrichard »

not all kids are lucky enough to have parents that take them to the sea when they are young.
Please consider the disadvantaged.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

^Ah fuck off.

There's no excuse for this lad not being able to swim. and at the age he died at it would be as much his fault as any parents.

R.I.P
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

now there is a gofund me to get his body back to his parents,
https://www.gofundme.com/support-our-be ... ves-family

£2,920 of £5,000 goal
Raised by 127 people in 1 day

i just dont get this, gofund me is being used for anything nowadays...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Who let him travel without travel insurance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

phuketrichard wrote:anyone that cant swim, has no reason to go into the open water. with or without a life-vest/water wings etc without adult supervision.

see how long u cant float on ur back, bet its not more than 10 minutes in open water
to get my dive master u need stay afloat 30 minutes in open water, ( staying in one place without swmining), it was NOT easy
Beg to differ, Richard.

Float, tread water, float, tread water.Rinse and repeat.

If you've trained for it, it's easy...unless the water is choppy/weather is windy, in which case, adios.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I tried to swim in the upper Mekong in Cambodia, the current was so strong, swimming against it, I could not progress forward, a none swimmer or child would have been swept away.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:34 am ^Ah fuck off.

There's no excuse for this lad not being able to swim. and at the age he died at it would be as much his fault as any parents.

R.I.P
Sorry, I agree with Richard here. You probably grew up in an era where the govt actually spent more on public facilities than funding/abetting Saudi-led genocides.

Pretty sure people nowadays have much more limited access to heated pools than Brits did in the 60s/70s.

Bit off to bring up topic of blame and lay it on his parents in a death thread, btw.

Sure you're on the right forum?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

phuketrichard wrote:now there is a gofund me to get his body back to his parents,
https://www.gofundme.com/support-our-be ... ves-family

£2,920 of £5,000 goal
Raised by 127 people in 1 day

i just dont get this, gofund me is being used for anything nowadays...
They just broke £3,000.

GoFundMe really is the new expat insurance.

"Our beloved Steve who lived and worked on Koh Rong unfortunately lost his life unexpected 13th July 2017. He was a pleasure to work with and an amazing young man. Fellow travels will understand how much of a shock this is and why we all need to put together to help his family as much as we can. 

Any donation is very much appreciated, and we owe it to his family to help them out in such a tragic time. He would of done anything for anyone of us. 

Fly High Steve!
"
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I don't understand why the don't just let them burn him here and Fedex the pot back. A couple of hundred quid and one jar of Maxwell House. The tropics is not the place where you want to be keeping a corpse lying around.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic