STEVEN GRIFFITHS (British Backpacker) Drowns in Kampot River in Cambodia; Family Says He Can't Swim

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Steve Griffiths, 21 yo British man drowns at Kampot Guesthouse

Post by timmydownawell »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:01 pm
Tragic for sure, but damn, if you can't swim, stay on dry land.

RIP
I can't swim either, but I would feel pretty safe with a tyre tube to help me in deeper water. I mean they use rings to rescue people! So it may have got away on him in the current... or he may have been otherwise impaired.

Either way a tragic loss. RIP.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:48 pm I would feel pretty safe with a tyre tube to help me in deeper water. I mean they use rings to rescue people!
You wouldn't be safe, those inner tubes are slippery. I wouldn't go anywhere near deep water if I couldn't swim. I find it very strange that there are people who can't swim, they are missing out on a lot.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: STEVEN GRIFFITHS (British Backpacker) Drowns in Kampot River in Cambodia; Family Says He Can't Swim

Post by General Mackevili »

Cruisemonkey wrote:
I suppose, in grief, it is natural to seek to blame (without thought).

Condolences.
That. Every time we report on a death/arrest, family and friends seem to somehow blame us, so yeah, it's just grieving.

But like Hayes said, the man was 21 years old. He himself is the only one responsible for deciding if he should enter the river or not, whether he can swim or not.

Reminds me of being at the pool in a Siem Reap hotel last month. I was on my phone (shocking, I know) and some fat fucking Australian does a cannon ball into the pool, sending a tsunami wave onto me and my beloved phone. I was livid! But only for a split second, until I realised I was the stupid fucker who brought my phone to the pool. What did I think would happen? So in times of mourning/emergency it's easy to start pointing fingers, but not usually logical.

P.S. My phone survived, although a bit traumatized by the whole incident.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:54 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:48 pm I would feel pretty safe with a tyre tube to help me in deeper water. I mean they use rings to rescue people!
You wouldn't be safe, those inner tubes are slippery. I wouldn't go anywhere near deep water if I couldn't swim. I find it very strange that there are people who can't swim, they are missing out on a lot.
I can dog paddle, breaststroke a little, and float on my back if it comes to it. If it's a pool with a deep section, no problem. If it's a river with a current and I can't touch the bottom then I'd be more wary. The current would be the issue, with the risk of losing the tube much higher.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:59 pm
John Bingham wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:54 pm
I can dog paddle, breaststroke a little, and float on my back if it comes to it.

If it's a pool with a deep section, no problem. If it's a river with a current and I can't touch the bottom then I'd be more wary. The current would be the issue, with the risk of losing the tube much higher.

How would you get on if you were in water down a well ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Duncan wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:36 pm How would you get on if you were in water down a well ?
hopefully I'd have my walkie talkie with me!

*Simpsons reference
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: STEVEN GRIFFITHS (British Backpacker) Drowns in Kampot River in Cambodia; Family Says He Can't Swim

Post by phuketrichard »

anyone that cant swim, has no reason to go into the open water. with or without a life-vest/water wings etc without adult supervision.

see how long u cant float on ur back, bet its not more than 10 minutes in open water
to get my dive master u need stay afloat 30 minutes in open water, ( staying in one place without swmining), it was NOT easy
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

phuketrichard wrote:anyone that cant swim, has no reason to go into the open water. with or without a life-vest/water wings etc without adult supervision.

see how long u cant float on ur back, bet its not more than 10 minutes in open water
to get my dive master u need stay afloat 30 minutes in open water, ( staying in one place without swmining), it was NOT easy
Pardon my ignorance, but what happens after about 10 mins? I assume if you're floating, you'll stay floating, no?

I got my Open Water cert. I learned a bunch of nothing, and can't wait to get the next one, as I hear it's a lot more serious.

One of my scariest near death moments happened in a river.

We were "diving" through underwater tunnels where you just had to hold your breath, go under, and let the current push you through. Some were easy, and some required you had to at least navigate a little.

After going through a bunch that were super easy, I decided I'd try the one in the deeper faster currents. Made it through a bunch of times, and I thought I saw another tunnel down there and decided I'd give it a try.

Went down, swam hard to the left where I had seen what I thought was a "tunnel of light", but when I got up to where it was, it was a hole way too small for my melon head. So there I was, trapped between 2 flat rocks with my head jammed and current pushing the rest of me in the WRONG direction. I panicked. I realised I couldn't go forward, so the only hope I had was to grind along sideways/backwards to the regular exit. Luckily adrenaline kicked in though. I know you're wondering if I lived or died...Well, I lived! Made it back to the main tunnel and got pushed out. That breath of air was orgasmic. I waited a long while and finally went through the normal way again just to make sure I hadn't scared myself away from the water.

Water, especially one with a current, is nothing to take lightly, even if you're a good swimmer, but to get in a river without being able to swim is just asking for big trouble.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Wondering if you lived or died lol - although it sounds like it was touch and go for a minute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I find the claims that he couldn't swim hard to believe, prior to Kampot he was living and working on an island also.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic