Warning: telephone fraud scheme - do not reply to missed calls

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Warning: telephone fraud scheme - do not reply to missed calls

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

TRC directs operators to warn customers of scam
The Telecommunication Regulator of Cambodia yesterday asked all mobile operators in the country to warn its customers of a fraud scheme caught by multiple government agencies.

In a letter issued by TRC chairman Moa Chakrya, the regulator said customers have been receiving missed phone calls from countries like Afghanistan, Tanzania, Serbia, Lativa and others, in a scheme which collects money if the customer returns the call.
According to anti-human trafficking police, customers returning the phone calls were losing between $15 and $30.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/40084/ ... s-of-scam/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Warning: telephone fraud scheme - do not reply to missed calls

Post by epidemiks »

I use to get regular missed calls from various pacific islands. No ring, just a blip and into the missed call log. Assumed it was a premium number scam. I barely return my family's calls, why would I call a unknown overseas number?
Nick&Bun
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Nick&Bun »

That explains the missed call from Tonga I got 3 days ago, thanks for the headsup. :thumb:
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I received a missed call from PNG late last week. Rang two or three times and then that was it.

Lucky I missed the call as I am job hunting now and would have answered it.
Popeye
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Popeye »

On July the 6 th and today as well, I have received a call from a " Private Number " that's what it says on the screen . Did not answer this, just ignored it. So what would that be ?
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

I've never answered calls from outside countries. Always smells fishy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic