Moldavan woman denies sex-trafficking - GaDo Pizza Wine Shop saga continues...

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Moldavan woman denies sex-trafficking - GaDo Pizza Wine Shop saga continues...

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Woman denies trafficking, forcing teen to have sex
7 July 2017
A 28-year-old Moldovan woman yesterday denied during her trial at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court that she trafficked a 19-year-old girl from her home country to Phnom Penh to work for free in her restaurant while also having sex with customers.

Liudmila Bejenari, the former manager of the Ga Do Italian Pizza & Wine Shop in Daun Penh district, was arrested in 2015 after the 19-year-old victim, Sudelela Christina, managed to get her hands on a cell phone and call authorities for help.
Ms Bejenari is charged with unlawful removal with purpose under the anti-human trafficking law and will face seven to 15 years in prison if convicted.

Deputy prosecutor Sin Vireak said Ms Bejenari travelled to her home country of Moldova in 2014 and convinced Ms Christina to come to work for her in Phnom Penh, promising to pay for all her travel arrangements.
Upon arriving to work in Phnom Penh, Ms Bejenari allegedly confiscated Ms Christina’s passport and failed to pay her over the course of nine months, during which time she forced her to have sex with customers and the owner of the restaurant.

“She forced the victim to work with no pay and forced her to have sex,” said Mr Vireak. “When the victim got money from having sex, Ms Bejenari also confiscated that and did not share the profits.”

Ms Christina said during yesterday’s trial that she was once forced to have sex with two men at a hotel for $300 and also slept with the owner of the restaurant, Nigerian Akudo Jeffery, 45, at least 10 times...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/40083/ ... -have-sex/

There are a couple of threads on the GaDo Pizza place. This is a link to when the Moldavan woman first got busted:
post81453.html?hilit=Jeffrey%20Akudo#p81453

newsworthy/anti-trafficking-police-raid ... %20Jeffrey

This was a sub-plot.
Looking for My Sister Shardeen Parkes (Who Works at Gado Wine Shop)
post127610.html?hilit=Jeffrey%20Akudo#p127610
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Re: Moldavan woman denies sex-trafficking - GaDo Pizza Wine Shop saga continues...

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:12 pm Woman denies trafficking, forcing teen to have sex
7 July 2017
A 28-year-old Moldovan woman yesterday denied during her trial at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court that she trafficked a 19-year-old girl from her home country to Phnom Penh to work for free in her restaurant while also having sex with customers.

Liudmila Bejenari, the former manager of the Ga Do Italian Pizza & Wine Shop in Daun Penh district, was arrested in 2015 after the 19-year-old victim, Sudelela Christina, managed to get her hands on a cell phone and call authorities for help.
Ms Bejenari is charged with unlawful removal with purpose under the anti-human trafficking law and will face seven to 15 years in prison if convicted.

Deputy prosecutor Sin Vireak said Ms Bejenari travelled to her home country of Moldova in 2014 and convinced Ms Christina to come to work for her in Phnom Penh, promising to pay for all her travel arrangements.
Upon arriving to work in Phnom Penh, Ms Bejenari allegedly confiscated Ms Christina’s passport and failed to pay her over the course of nine months, during which time she forced her to have sex with customers and the owner of the restaurant.

“She forced the victim to work with no pay and forced her to have sex,” said Mr Vireak. “When the victim got money from having sex, Ms Bejenari also confiscated that and did not share the profits.”

Ms Christina said during yesterday’s trial that she was once forced to have sex with two men at a hotel for $300 and also slept with the owner of the restaurant, Nigerian Akudo Jeffery, 45, at least 10 times...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/40083/ ... -have-sex/

There are a couple of threads on the GaDo Pizza place. This is a link to when the Moldavan woman first got busted:
post81453.html?hilit=Jeffrey%20Akudo#p81453

newsworthy/anti-trafficking-police-raid ... %20Jeffrey

This was a sub-plot.
Looking for My Sister Shardeen Parkes (Who Works at Gado Wine Shop)
post127610.html?hilit=Jeffrey%20Akudo#p127610
K
Let's hope thry lock both the black guy and the Russisn mamasan up and throw away the key.
More sterling Cambodian expats.
See crook!!!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Moldavan woman denies sex-trafficking - GaDo Pizza Wine Shop saga continues...

Post by vladimir »

But is their pizza any good?

Not the only pizza shop with dodgy owners...is there some kind of subliminal phallic connection to a leaning tower?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Pizzeria Manager Denies Trafficking Victim for Work, Sex
July 7, 2017
The former manager of Ga Do Italian Pizza & Wine in Phnom Penh denied during her trial on Thursday that she had forced a then-19-year-old employee to work without pay and have sex with customers and a boss.

Testifying at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court, the victim claimed that Liudmila Bejenari, a Moldovan national who was 26 at the time, had persuaded her to travel from the eastern European country to Cambodia in 2014 under the guise of employment.

But when she arrived in the capital her passport was seized, communication with her family was blocked and she was forced to have sex with clientele and the store’s owner, Jeffrey Akudo, the victim said.

She claimed that Mr. Akudo, whom a witness identified as an Italian native but whose whereabouts were not mentioned in court, had raped her on 10 separate occasions.

Under questioning, Ms. Bejenari—who was charged with “unlawful removal with purpose” in 2015 after anti-trafficking police raided the storefront—denied all accusations, maintaining that the employee had willingly signed a contract with her agreeing to work for one year without pay.

The first three months were as a trainee and the remaining nine months were to repay her expenses, which included airfare and the cost of preparing her passport, Ms. Bejenari said.

The charge, which pertains to removing someone from his or her place of residence for the purpose of profit-making, sexual aggression or a range of other acts, carries a sentence of seven to 15 years in prison.

When Presiding Judge Svay Tonh asked whether the victim’s parents were aware of the arrangement, Ms. Bejenari replied: “I did not know. She is mature…. In my country, a 19-year-old girl has the right to make her own decision.”

A witness, Huzeila Coluraico, 46, who worked as the restaurant’s chef for two years, corroborated Ms. Bejenari’s testimony, saying staff members were not forced to have sex and their personal freedoms had not been restricted.

Ms. Bejenari has remained in detention at Prey Sar prison since her arrest in June 2015. The verdict is expected on August 2.
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/pizz ... ex-132233/

The arrest in June 2015:
ImageImageImage

The accused in this case, Liudmila Bejenari, has been in pretrial detention for two years, but somehow in all of this, Jeffrey Akudo, the owner of the restaurant, has been forgotten. He is, however, her boss and he is accused of repeatedly raping the trafficked victim.Where is Mr. Akudo ?
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Liudmila Bejenari, 28, was tried in Phnom Penh court yesterday for human trafficking.
According to the complaint, filed by Christina and read in court, Linda [Liudmila Bejenari] met Christina in Moldova and “lured” her to Cambodia with the promise of work. Linda then allegedly confiscated Christina’s passport, did not pay her a salary and forced her to have sex with customers for money.

Linda, who stands charged of “unlawful removal” under Article 10 of the Anti-Trafficking Law, yesterday denied that account.

“I did not invite her to work in Cambodia, she asked me to come and work here,” she said. “Because she did not have money, we made an agreement and I loaned money to her to get a passport, visa and flight ticket. She signed the contract willingly.”
The agreement stipulated that Christina must repay the money within one year. “But she hasn’t done so and she filed a complaint against me,” Linda said.

Phnom Penh police made the arrest after a request from Moldovan police, who were alerted to the situation by Christina’s parents. Christina is now seeking $20,000 in compensation.

However, four witnesses – two staff members and two owners of the restaurant building – appeared to corroborate Linda’s account, according to written statements read before the Phnom Penh court.They said Christina was very close to Linda and that Christina was able to “walk freely” to deliver pizza and wine to customers. Their statements made no mention of forced sex.

The trial faced repeated delays over the last two years, due to lack or absence of lawyers and translators.
Source: Khmercircleblog

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
kptic
Expatriate
Greece

Post by kptic »

I had forgotten all about this. Now I'm intrigued all over again.

As I understand it, a Nigerian moved to Italy as a teenager and became a cocaine kingpin. Winds up in trouble and... resurfaces in Phnom Penh... as a wine seller with a Moldovan woman claiming to be his Italian wife.

Working at the wine shop were another young Moldovan woman and a Jamaican girl claiming to be said Nigerian's cousin. Then the entire operation gets raided for human trafficking based on a single phone call with one of the Moldovan woman accusing the other of pimping her.

The Nigerian and the Jamaican girl disappear without a trace and hardly a mention, while the Moldovan woman spends two years in prison before appearing in court. According to one of the articles, the accuser read a statement aloud in court, which means that she is in the KOW. Did she return just for court? Did she never leave?

Last, there was someone claiming the Jamaican girl was his sister, who may have actually been Akudo, the Nigerian, asking around on ceo and tof about her about a year ago. There are a lot of gaps in the story. Can anyone fill any of them in?

Edit* they claimed she was their sister not cousin*
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I'm trying to think of just one case that has been before the Cambodian justice system, where proper evidence and not just hearsay, imagination and lies are used in convicting a person.
Stretch your memory back to past cases like shootings, road accidents, rapes, murders, land grabbing, logging , or any other crime and ask yourself would that evidence and
the sentence stand up in a court of law in your own country.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

The thing i remembered​ most when i read the recent reports, was that some of the K440 crew knew the shop and the people involved. And were supporting them as being good people and good for wine and pizza. I didn't realise that they were euphemisms for Russian teen sex at the time.

Pretty standard​ story in Moldova according the book McMafia. Normally it's the pimp who gets a girl to phone one of her friends back home in Moldova and tell them she's doing well and there's a job for her if she wants to come over. Sometimes the girl's have a gun held to their heads while they entice their friend.
I actually heard a very similar story from a Russian prostitute here. She eventually made it back home though.

It looks like the black guy either did a deal or a runner. It also looks like the hot Russian mamasan was actually colluding with him of her own free will this time though as she appears to be changng her story. But who the f knows as this is Cambodia, a country run by gun toting gangsters in both the government and the judiciary that are up to all sorts of dodgey shit.

Excerpt from McMafia

"In early summer 2002 as Sheriff Tiraspol celebrated its fourth Moldovan soccer championship in a row, across the city Ludmila Balbinova was packing her suitcase. She was excited about her first trip abroad. Ludmila knew Israel was sunny and by the sea but not much else. She was going to meet an old friend who was working as a waitress in Israel. “You’ll love it here,” Victoria told Ludmila. “I’ve got you a job—the work’s easy, the pay’s good, and it is real fun.” What Ludmila didn’t know was that at the other end of the phone, Victoria had a gun pointed at her head.

Ludmila was not unhappy in Tiraspol, but like many young people she yearned for some adventure and fun. She thought herself fortunate that an acquaintance of her close friend had been so helpful in arranging both her documentation and her travel. It is complicated for residents of Tiraspol, because their own country, the self-styled Republic of Moldovan Transnistria, is not recognized internationally and so they must apply for passports thirty-five miles away in the capital of their supposed archenemy, the Republic of Moldova.
In fact, this accommodating acquaintance was a “recruiter.” A majority of women trafficked out of Moldova and Transnistria are groomed and recruited by other women. The recruiters are motivated above all by money, but there are often other forces at work. Some are former prostitutes who have succeeded in buying themselves out of the trade by agreeing to work as recruiters back home. “Sometimes the mothers of trafficked women act as recruiters,” explained Alina Budeci of La Strada, an NGO in Chisinau that assists trafficked women. “We had a case where a mother was contacted by traffickers who said that if she ever wanted to see her daughter again, she would have to recruit three new women to replace her.”
See crook!!!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:27 am The thing i remembered​ most when i read the recent reports, was that some of the K440 crew knew the shop and the people involved. And were supporting them as being good people and good for wine and pizza. I didn't realise that they were euphemisms for Russian teen sex at the time.

Pretty standard​ story in Moldova according the book McMafia. Normally it's the pimp who gets a girl to phone one of her friends back home in Moldova and tell them she's doing well and there's a job for her if she wants to come over. Sometimes the girl's have a gun held to their heads while they entice their friend.
I actually heard a very similar story from a Russian prostitute here. She eventually made it back home though.

It looks like the black guy either did a deal or a runner. It also looks like the hot Russian mamasan was actually colluding with him of her own free will this time though as she appears to be changng her story. But who the f knows as this is Cambodia, a country run by gun toting gangsters in both the government and the judiciary that are up to all sorts of dodgey shit.

Excerpt from McMafia

"In early summer 2002 as Sheriff Tiraspol celebrated its fourth Moldovan soccer championship in a row, across the city Ludmila Balbinova was packing her suitcase. She was excited about her first trip abroad. Ludmila knew Israel was sunny and by the sea but not much else. She was going to meet an old friend who was working as a waitress in Israel. “You’ll love it here,” Victoria told Ludmila. “I’ve got you a job—the work’s easy, the pay’s good, and it is real fun.” What Ludmila didn’t know was that at the other end of the phone, Victoria had a gun pointed at her head.

Ludmila was not unhappy in Tiraspol, but like many young people she yearned for some adventure and fun. She thought herself fortunate that an acquaintance of her close friend had been so helpful in arranging both her documentation and her travel. It is complicated for residents of Tiraspol, because their own country, the self-styled Republic of Moldovan Transnistria, is not recognized internationally and so they must apply for passports thirty-five miles away in the capital of their supposed archenemy, the Republic of Moldova.
In fact, this accommodating acquaintance was a “recruiter.” A majority of women trafficked out of Moldova and Transnistria are groomed and recruited by other women. The recruiters are motivated above all by money, but there are often other forces at work. Some are former prostitutes who have succeeded in buying themselves out of the trade by agreeing to work as recruiters back home.

Sometimes the mothers of trafficked women act as recruiters,” explained Alina Budeci of La Strada, an NGO in Chisinau that assists trafficked women. “We had a case where a mother was contacted by traffickers who said that if she ever wanted to see her daughter again, she would have to recruit three new women to replace her.”

As soon as the word NGO and '' trafficked women '' are mentioned in one sentence , the red light comes on.

http://naughtynomad.com/2010/04/28/chisinau-city-guide/
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

As soon as the word NGO and '' trafficked women '' are mentioned in one sentence , the red light comes on.

http://naughtynomad.com/2010/04/28/chisinau-city-guide/
Yeah lol. I'm sure they're are all sorts of stories around the practice. But shocking non the less some of the things they get up to.
Eg the girls are trafficked through Egypt and then through the Sinai to Israel by beduins. In that book is an example of girls that complakin too much and causr a nuisance on the way. They get shot in the legs and left in the desert to die.

The author Glen Misha, was a BBC correspondent working in the Baltic's and Russia.
See crook!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic