The good old days

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: The good old days

Post by Duncan »

monomial wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:52 am
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:46 am for some of those items above ( the ones i know)
all about the same or more expensive than here in Phuket
With one exception:

Where in Phuket can you go to get 2 liters of milk for 52 baht ($2 AUD)??? A 2 liter jug of milk is 90 baht. 80 if you can find it on sale.

Australia/New Zealand have the lowest prices in the world on milk and cheese. Nobody can beat them.

I have to admit that the milk shown was on special,,, it's normally about A$4 for 2 L
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Duncan wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:23 am
monomial wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:52 am
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:46 am for some of those items above ( the ones i know)
With one exception:

Where in Phuket can you go to get 2 liters of milk for 52 baht ($2 AUD)??? A 2 liter jug of milk is 90 baht. 80 if you can find it on sale.

Australia/New Zealand have the lowest prices in the world on milk and cheese. Nobody can beat them.

I have to admit that the milk shown was on special,,, it's normally about A$4 for 2 L
so 104 baht, I pay 84 baht for 2 L. :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:58 pm One thing is true. As Asia becomes more modern changes are occurring, and not always for the best for travellers. Whilst i remember the better times of Snookie, i must also think that maybe things are getting better moreso for a locals point of view. Cambodia isn't there for tourists, but for the local people.

Think of Thailand, when it was cheap. Back then shoestring travellers spent nothing, and the locals didn't benefit. It was a one sided story, back then.

The good old days may have been great for travellers, but not necessarily for locals.
I would strongly disagree with that statement. Not only did budget travellers add to the local economy enough to allow the 'real' locals to save and invest, but the tourists did a pretty good job of keeping the place tidy.

By real locals I mean the villagers that actually came from the villages, and not wealthy connected businessmen who came running from the cities to build large hotels etc that stole the locals land and​ destroyed their fishing with untreated sewage etc. Offerring them short time employment low wage contracts at the same time as destroying their livelihoods and leaving them to starve for the off season.

Nothng worse than mass two week tourism.

A lot of those local villagers in Goa are now multi millionaires, because they took what they were making from the budget travellers and invested it in Bombay real estate at a time when prices were cheap. Pretty much the same model applied in most places with budget travellers in the past.

Nowadays, there is a lot more wealth for a small number of local people, but even more Cambodians suffering from inflation caused by 7% growth, and tourists who arrive without an understanding of economies outside their own narrow experience. My critiscism of them is not so much the not understanding, but the complete lack of even wanting to know. Unlike the majority of budget travelers in the past. But then they were in the main coming for different reasons. SEA has been an exception to that because of the prostitution element.

All they are concerned about is directly comparing specific prices with economies as disparant as having a GDP of $54,000 with ones that have GDPs of less than a $1000. It's​ only really usefull as an exercise in showing how expensive undeveloped countries have​ become in comparrison with developed top tier ecconomies, as opposed to trying to prove how cheap they are.
Last edited by AlonzoPartriz on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
See crook!!!
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:52 pm
Username Taken wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:55 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:29 pm
Username Taken wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:53 pm TFN = Tax File Number.

If self-employed you don't pay at the end of the year. You pay in advance.
i didnt, i got paid all my cash and the tax was up to me to sort out, never paid any tax in advance, never actually paid any tax whilst i was in Oz
same as in england, if your self employed and getting paid, you dont have to pay your tax until you get your tax return papers to fill in, if you pay in advance, you get a tax rebate, if you dont, you pay with your tax return
Then I guess things must have changed since I left.
maybe, the whole time ive been in work, if i do any cash in hand work, i need to "claim" it when i do my tax return in order to pay the tax i owe,
if i work solely "cash in hand" work, then i will have to claim it all when i do my tax return, then they will calculate how much i owe,
i dont have to gradually pay it in set amounts, some businesses will pay your tax for you, some dont,
thats the past 14 years anyway, not sure what it was like in OZ but it was the same set up when i was there in 2015
There used to be a thing called an SE60. If you worked for an agency, for example, you would pay 25% or something then get your tax back after you filed your returns. It was a great saving scheme, especially if you only worked up to the threshold.
They call it something else now i beleive?
See crook!!!
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

saigonjackpot wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:03 am
shnoukieBRO wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:20 am
peppermintpaddy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:47 am

So what are your daily eating/drinking/sleeping expenses now?

:stir:
no my friend,I can assure you,i'm not trapper....Ive only heard his name on here,he's a notorious troll i believe......$20+ US dollars per hour is good for labouring on a building site....no common or garden labourer gets that on a UK site......probably half that

OK, apologies for the confusion, buttt...So what are your daily eating/drinking/sleeping expenses now?
Food in 50 per week and rent 100 transport 30 beer 50.
[/quote]

Good stuff mate. $50 per week on food? That's exactly what i pay here for eating at home. Of course the Aus dollar is worth less, so i actually pay more. What sort of food are you eating?

EDIT I actually pay $ 75 :facepalm: No beer.
Last edited by AlonzoPartriz on Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
See crook!!!
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

1 Australian Dollar equals
0.77 US Dollar
See crook!!!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:10 am
0.77 US Dollar
1 AUD$= 26.11 baht

1 AUD =0.767664USD
http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/con ... AUD&To=USD

I spend an average of US$ 60/week for 2 of us here, eat at home 5 nights a week
love my cheese and american ceral. we eat lots of chicken, pork, seafood, occasional steak and of course Veggies
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:18 am
AlonzoPartriz wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:10 am
0.77 US Dollar
1 AUD$= 26.11 baht

1 AUD =0.767664USD
http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/con ... AUD&To=USD

I spend an average of US$ 60/week for 2 of us here, eat at home 5 nights a week
love my cheese and american ceral. we eat lots of chicken, pork, seafood, occasional steak and of course Veggies
Roughly the same diet as me, but without the cereals. I might occasionalky buy a packet if it's on half price offer of around $3 - 4. Lol
See crook!!!
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Housing, energy and alcohol is expensive in Australia.

Food is quality and cheap.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Digg3r wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:50 am Housing, energy and alcohol is expensive in Australia.

Food is quality and cheap.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk
Yeah, housng is normally the distinguishing factor, but get this, i was renting a fully furnished​ one bedroomed Victorian flat in the heart of the expensive west end of Glasgow 7 years ago for £370 p c m. That's $479. Lots of expats here renting for around that price.

Alcohol yes, but there are always promotions on cans in packs. Eg 6 big tins of red stripe with 20% extra for £5 seven years ago.

Energy? Cambodia is one of the most expensive​ places in the world for electricity i thought. What is the KLWH rate in Australia atm.
See crook!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic