The good old days

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: The good old days

Post by phuketrichard »

question Shnoukiebro
where /when was the last place u went that you thought was interesting, that millions of other tourists haven't been too?

I can a name a half dozen in the past year
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:11 pm question Shnoukiebro
where /when was the last place u went that you thought was interesting, that millions of other tourists haven't been too?

I can a name a half dozen in the past year
Kinda pointless question PR, especially since i don't travel especially to AVOID Tourists, like you do, (although i have in the past). Actually i travel to mostly enjoy the experience of being in a different Culture.

Recent trip was to Vietnam/Laos/ Thailand /Cambodia, mostly to see how they had changed since last visit, but also went to new places i never went to before. Incidentally they were nice and chilled, with just 'trickles' of tourists, but nice tourists anyhow.

I also travelled in the low season. Thing is, i tend to avoid so called party places that are too busy with tourists, with the exception of places like Snookie, or Pattaya, which have interesting vibes. Otherwise i'm a traveller who prefers a bit of middle of the road travels, so to speak.

You have to also realise that just because the place you went to didn't have tourists, doesn't necessarily mean that was the case previously. Maybe you just went in the low season. :D

:beer3:
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

. Still some interesting reading in those old magazines.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Tootsfriend wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:41 pm . Still some interesting reading in those old magazines.

when i lived in PP in 2008/09, the first thing i did on entering a restaurant/ bar was look for the latest issue :beer3:

Globe is still online but its not the same
https://southeastasiaglobe.com/

FYI
if you travelled overland in the 60-90's or even if u didn't cause......but wanted to...
This is a great group on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1702950456599867
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:21 am I had this on another thread but figured the title ( "best performance at woodstock") might not get all the people so
here ya go

Please voice ur opinions

personally i think those of us that grew up during the 60's, early 70's, had the best of times and saw the most changes
Plus our music was kick ass ( still is) :beer3:
and travelling before;
the yellow bible
the internet

Smart phones :plus1:

Yellow Bible >>>> surely u jest>>> :popcorn: Lonely planet books
Interesting that the original was brought out last year with updates, Its a GREAT read to see the prices from Europe to Kathmandu (my first trip overland was 1974)
hotels for less than $2, meals for less than a $1, bus's for under a $1. :beer3: :beer3: :thumb:

http://www.nomadicnotes.com/lonely-plan ... heap-1973/

You can get it for free on amazon;

Highlights;
Across Asia on the Cheap was written after a trip across Asia that Lonely Planet founders (Terry and Maureen) made in 1972. The trip was the classic overland hippie trail that went from London to Sydney. The guide covers the the bulk of the trail from Istanbul to Indonesia and Portuguese Timor (now East Timor), the jumping off point to Australia.
Costs

The guidebook is for the long Asian section of the hippie trial but it mentions that you can get a “freak bus” service from London to Istanbul for about $30. Yes, it sets the scene early that this book is by hippies, for hippies.

It also alludes early on that the going is cheap, with “Singapore and Bangkok…the only places between Australia and Europe where a couple would have to spend more than a dollar a night for a reasonable hotel room.”

The Wheelers said they travelled for about 5 and a half months with $1200USD between them. That works out to about $109 each per month.
Dope

On of the biggest standouts of the guide is the section on dope. Can you imagine a mainstream guide book doing that today?! Of course Lonely Planet wasn’t a mainstream guidebook at the time; it was a home made guide stapled together on the Wheelers kitchen table.

The guide to dope isn’t written like “you shouldn’t do dope but if you want it here it is”. No, the first Lonely Planet guidebook is celebrating the fact that you can get stoned for most of the way from London to Sydney. We live in different times.

Bangkok is described as “one of the more expensive cities you will pass through”, and as an example one cheap hotel is listed at 30 Baht ($1USD) for a double. Hahaha. There is also a listing or the Starlight Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 22, which is an air-conditioned room with private bathroom for 40 Baht. Sounds good to me.
5 days on Acid.....
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Ganzberg on the rocks & a little old school TP after work on a Friday evening in PP ... not bad ... not bad ...

Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

The good old days of Sharky Bar are over

If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Captain Bonez wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:39 pm The good old days of Sharky Bar are over

September 2006
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Captain Bonez wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:39 pm The good old days of Sharky Bar are over

They were over twenty years ago.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

I found this issue of LIFE in an antique shop when I was living near Kamakura Japan. This photo screams “good ole days” … in my mind.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic