The good old days

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The good old days

Post by shnoukieBRO »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:32 pm
A lot of those local villagers in Goa are now multi millionaires, because they took what they were making from the budget travellers and invested it in Bombay real estate at a time when prices were cheap. Pretty much the same model applied in most places with budget travellers in the past.

~~~~Goa had a pig sewage system. Cleanest and best system I have seen anywhere.

I think you speak for a select few who just 'got lucky' with the economy. The main point i was getting at is that the reason for the demise of Shacks and creation of 'better quality' accomodations in places like Thailand, was because they wanted to attract a more spending type AKA 'Flashpacker', than the penny pinching backpacker hippy type who really spent 'as little as they could'. Surely you can see clearly that it is obvious that anyone who 'got rich', only did so by sheer luck, when the potential to earn money from those 'almost parasitic' travelling types, was miniscule, even painful.

Oh, and Goa's sewerage. Apparently the pigs fed on human feces, were cooked into Vindaloo curry. A surefire dish that will almost definately be infested with Tapeworm eggs.

Lovely. :2girlsit8: :snorting: :bad: .... :director: :voilent1:
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I have a treasure trove of stuff here including AEROGRAMMES-correct spelling all upper case Frank. They also say PAR AVION AIR MAIL and CORREO AEROEO in the top left hand corner.
I just opened a yellowed paper clipping from a 1978 Bangkok Post saying that Thai troops would be shooting armed Kampucheans who were ransacking villages on the border and murdering people. Believed to be Khmer Serai. Meanwhile fighting around Phnom Malai opposite Aranyapratet continues, Khmer Rouge claim to have destroyed two Vietnamese tricks on Highway 5 and killed several Vietnamese Army soldiers.
I was reading today about an Australian couple who took American Express travellers cheque to the States and couldn't cash them-idiots. Everyone used to use travellers cheques and lose them, we all lost them. It was such an easy scam, how did American Express survive. The other income stream was selling blood in Europe or North Africa, I forget.
I was worth about ten dollars a litre or something, a lot of money then. Probably wouldn't trust the needles nowadays.
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:07 pm
Digg3r wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:50 am Housing, energy and alcohol is expensive in Australia.

Food is quality and cheap.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk
Yeah, housng is normally the distinguishing factor, but get this, i was renting a fully furnished​ one bedroomed Victorian flat in the heart of the expensive west end of Glasgow 7 years ago for £370 p c m. That's $479. Lots of expats here renting for around that price.

Alcohol yes, but there are always promotions on cans in packs. Eg 6 big tins of red stripe with 20% extra for £5 seven years ago.

Energy? Cambodia is one of the most expensive​ places in the world for electricity i thought. What is the KLWH rate in Australia atm.
my rent was 70 usd in Cambodia for a huge room with A/C.

added furniture is annoying, I thing I prefer a bamboo mat over a bed after all these years living in and out of SEA, the simpler the better.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i lost mine a few times, got a refund and lost them again, go figure :plus1: :plus1:
finally they refused to issue them again.
sold 1 pint Blood in Kuwait 1975 $50
I have got all my old AEROGRAMMES i sent my mother.

Biggest thing for me about travelling in the 70's early 80's
it was an adventure and u really felt u were doing something that few others were
now u got all the gap year kids doing it and having money sent or they use gofund to keep going..

Been places, that u cant go now and seen things that are gone, roped off or locked away
my first trek in Nepal around Annapurna and up to Mustang, the gh's had out houses and under them is where the pigs were kept. You oculd hear them fighting over ur sh@t
First time in Tibet there couldn't have been 50 tourists in Lhasa
Went up the Nile an didn't see another white tourist for over 6 weeks
Lived in Zaire an ddidn't see a white person for over 9 months
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hatchelt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by hatchelt »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:52 pm Been places, that u cant go now and seen things that are gone, roped off or locked away
Won't that be the same for some of the kids travelling now though? Some countries will open, some will close. While Thailand might have kids roaming around not really paying attention, I bet a visit to Iran would still feel new and adventurous.
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

hatchelt wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:01 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:52 pm Been places, that u cant go now and seen things that are gone, roped off or locked away
Won't that be the same for some of the kids travelling now though? Some countries will open, some will close. While Thailand might have kids roaming around not really paying attention, I bet a visit to Iran would still feel new and adventurous.
traveling got weird didn't it........
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

my first trek in Nepal around Annapurna and up to Mustang, the gh's had out houses and under them is where the pigs were kept. You oculd hear them fighting over ur sh@t
First time in Tibet there couldn't have been 50 tourists in Lhasa
Went up the Nile an didn't see another white tourist for over 6 weeks
Lived in Zaire an ddidn't see a white person for over 9 months
PR,

I don't understand your craving to avoid as much as possible other Tourists. Can you explain why this is.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i dont like people in general :beer3:
BUT more so those on Vacation
1. I dont travel to be around a bunch of westerners
2. Places that get lots of tourists are ruined cause of the almighty $$

PS; Iran was one of the most friendly countries i have ever been to when the Shah ( america) was in power
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

as a caucasian we will always be a tourist/alien, no matter how bad you want it you will always be an outsider here in thai/cambodia
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:22 pm
1. I dont travel to be around a bunch of westerners
2. Places that get lots of tourists are ruined cause of the almighty $$
?

1. I'm the same regarding 'bunches of Westerners', but i do like to meet other interesting travellers who make the effort to understand other Cultures. That is the difference. Everyone is worthy of a chance, surely?

2. Places that gets lots of Tourists are ruined because of Tourists. Not the Dollar. It is the kind of irresponsible careless 'throw money about' kind of Tourist who ruins it for the rest. The kind who has no sense of understandings of his Culture, verses another very poor one, and the negative effect of his ill thought out actions.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic