Anyone been to Bali recently?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Anyone been to Bali recently?

Post by phuketrichard »

Phuket- singpaore-Bali ONLY $150 R/T :beer3: :beer3:
Thinking of heading down there and take a break from travelling to Burma
Haven't been since early 2000
head up to Ubud, rent a bike and go explore again....
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Anyone been to Bali recently?

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Just spent a month there and go to Indonesia often. My long term place is in Tuban here http://www.bahanaguesthouse.com/ at $270 a month. Close enough to Kuta etc for a trashy night out but away from it enough that you're among locals. Reliable wifi, You can hire a scooter pribvately from one of the staff .Air Asia cabin crew have three permanent rooms on the second floor and I've found the girls to be friendly and chatty.

I like Ubud for the live music and good vibes maaan. Penenstanan is my preferred area to stay with villas in the area from $350 a month - just walk around and find one that suits. Scooters $35 a month.

Amed on the north east coast is a nice getaway with great snorkeling and a laid back vibe. I ride a scooter up there sometimes which makes for a nice casual 3-4 hour ride.

There's just been a crack down on Bali "Happy Endings" so spas and massage parlors won't be offering "plus plus" for a couple of weeks, if you're into that.

Happy to answer any questions.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I have been a few times lately on stopovers and I think the coastal strip is shit. Touts, rip offs, bogans and a dirty black sand strip of beaches with sewerage flowing into the water.
I call it an expensive Sihanoukville.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

the strip (assume u mean kuta area) was always shit with Bali cowboys
was involved in a resort in Legian back in the mid 80's, now i prefer Ubud, lovina and candisasa.

Whats the weather like in mid-end oct ? and when are the Australian school holidays over, ( would hate to be there than)
can u recommend a gh ( around $20 ) near monkey forest road or on edge of town?\
Is it true that, i as an american, dont need a visa??
cheers :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

You might also want to avoid "Schoolies"
http://www.schoolies.com/2017
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Whats the weather like in mid-end oct ? and when are the Australian school holidays over, ( would hate to be there than)
can u recommend a gh ( around $20 ) near monkey forest road or on edge of town?\
Is it true that, i as an american, dont need a visa??
cheers :beer3:
Weather in October is start of the wet season but doesn't normally interfere with only an hour of afternoon rain - yearly variations possible of course. Starts getting a little more humid, but nothing compared to Cambodia or India humid - just my opinion.

School holidays are somewhere around Saturday 23 September, 2017 - Sunday 8 October, 2017

I choose to stay out of the centre so can't offer a recommendation as such. However, there are so many places to stay in and around Monkey Forrest road, an hour wandering will see you find something. Check out Jalan Bisma (laneway) which connects to Monkey Forrest at the very bottom near the forest, turn right. A five minute walk will bring you to guesthouses that are much quieter and from all accounts better value/cheaper than on the main strip.

30 day VOA (non-extendable) offered to USA passport holders, I believe.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I first stayed at Legian in 1977, it was a bit different then.
I was prowling around with the catapult/shanghai/ging and ball bearings today looking for mynah birds. I am a terrible shot nowadays, never hit one after months.
But on Patong Beach in 1978? I borrowed a ging and with one shot killed a sparrow. We had walked over the hills from the headland near Ngai Harn through the bush, we actually saw a small deer. After eating some mushrooms we played around on Patong Beach. The only building there was a tall concrete building, a prospective hotel or ex hotel I forget.
There were no tourists and I nailed the sparrow whilst tripping on mushrooms.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Patong to Nai Harn beach is like 20 kms>>> hell of a walk
i didn't first come here till 82
must have been a trip in the late 70's
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Queensland holidays 15 September to 3rd of October, States vary a little I think.There used to be a beautiful forest on that headland with many mouse deer. I bet they are long gone. Is the little bungalow resort still there on the end of the peninsula beyond the Yacht Club or whatever that hotel on the side of the hill is called? There were a lot of fish off those bungalows and occasionally a reef shark.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

resort on the hillside ( stayed there once) has been gone since the late 80's
Nai Harn is all built up and they still have the lake and the Wat on the left ( as u approach the beach) that had the only sauna on the island back than
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic