White Woman Tries Durian For The First Time in Cambodia (pictures)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: White Woman Tries Durian For The First Time in Cambodia (pictures)

Post by Kuroneko »

To quote a friend of mine commenting on the antics of a FL in Martinis years ago, after she had taken a bite of a Chinese dumpling he was eating. "Don't worry, I'm sure she has had things in her mouth before that were a lot worse than that" :D
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

White? She doesn't look like an albino...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The oddest thing happened...

On a recent trip back to Malaya, KL, my girlfriend introduced some old friends of mine to Durian. I'd never been a fan*, but we sampled several varieties. One in particular- Musang King- was actually remarkably nice. So good in fact, that I now happily partake of the other varieties available here. (I've not seen Musang variety identified locally around Phnom Penh). It literally changed my palette.

*mild phrasing for turning my face inside out while gagging
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:39 pm The oddest thing happened...

On a recent trip back to Malaya, KL, my girlfriend introduced some old friends of mine to Durian. I'd never been a fan*, but we sampled several varieties. One in particular- Musang King- was actually remarkably nice. So good in fact, that I now happily partake of the other varieties available here. (I've not seen Musang variety identified locally around Phnom Penh). It literally changed my palette.

mao shan wang = 猫山王 loosely translated, cat mountain king, creamy texture, not too hard, not too soft, sweet taste with mild bitterness

Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:39 pm The oddest thing happened...

I believe it. We stopped at some Durian vendors on Preah Shit, forgot other part of the name. Big road.. lol

They had Durian fruit ranging from $10 each, that were good, to the 2500 riel that tasted like rotten fruit. I gagged terrible from it!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The Musang variety was notably much more expensive, but then SWMBO pointed out that the stone was also much smaller, so more flesh, less stone, better taste. Still pricey for something that smells like it grew in a teenagers bedroom and died, but hey...
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

As some others have been suggesting, some can taste terrible and others can taste nice. If you have only eaten the bad ones, you will be in for a shock when you eat a nice one.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:36 am I find durian quite tasty, it's just the smell that puts me off
That's the reason they say: Durians smells like hell, but taste like heaven.
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Stinking rich? Rare durian fruit go on sale for $1,000 each
Variety called ‘J-Queen’ goes on sale in Indonesia and comes from trees its creator claims fruit once every three years
Tue 29 Jan 2019 05.30 GMT
A rare durian fruit is causing a stir in Indonesia, where the pungent delicacy is selling for the equivalent of $1,000 each, or more than three times the average monthly wage.

The so-called “J-Queen” variety has gone sale at a shopping centre in Tasikmalaya, West Java – where several are on display in clear boxes atop red satin and adorned in fake flowers – with an accompanying price tag of 14m rupiah, or about £750.

The average monthly wage in Indonesia is about 3.94m rupiah, according to data from the manpower ministry.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... -1000-each
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
aisaexplore
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aisaexplore »

What is that fruit? Looks like mango, does it really taste that bad? She looks like she is going to extremely puking.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic