What's a decent monthly wage for Bangkok?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Re: What's a decent monthly wage for Bangkok?

Post by saigonjackpot »

hatchelt wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:59 am Why you wanna work in Thailand for?

I live in Cornwall, England right now, soooo, the inside of a cardboard box would be more entertaining.

They don't like farang working in there country.

Really? I'm super dashing though, would that help?
Thais perhaps the most xenophobic race on planet earth dont care how dashing you are mate, if your not Thai your simply not Thai.
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by soup »

If you're dead set on it, give Bkk a go. Many have left for a variety of reasons. The ones still here are all in with wife and kids, scammers, teachers in a long term job or just scrapping by.

The best deal on rents are townhouses, which can be as little as 5000bt. I just moved from a 3 story, 4 bedroom spot for 7200bt. The prick lost his job and started to look at me as an ATM. He thought he could jack the rent to 15k. Now he's suckin wind.

As Saigon said, "they don't like farang!"
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

soup wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:11 am If you're dead set on it, give Bkk a go. Many have left for a variety of reasons. The ones still here are all in with wife and kids, scammers, teachers in a long term job or just scrapping by.

The best deal on rents are townhouses, which can be as little as 5000bt. I just moved from a 3 story, 4 bedroom spot for 7200bt. The prick lost his job and started to look at me as an ATM. He thought he could jack the rent to 15k. Now he's suckin wind.

As Saigon said, "they don't like farang!"
True that.

Thailand is crap I just did 3 weeks and I'm glad to get out, there country is a mess and there visa system is horrible better go Vietnam mate they are friendlier and appreciate foreigners.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

hatchelt wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:59 am Why you wanna work in Thailand for?

I live in Cornwall, England right now, soooo, the inside of a cardboard box would be more entertaining.

They don't like farang working in there country.

Really? I'm super dashing though, would that help?
Cornwall is a nice place. So is Thailand, I like Bangkok, its busy and does not suit everyone. Super dashing? Not sure what the meaning is there, would it help you find work? Or Super Super dashing for the ladies! The latter would care more about how much baht you will pay.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

said DOWNTOWN in a decent place, yes of course u can find places for around 15,000 if u want travel 30-60 minutes each way to ur office downtown.
it all depends on where u want to live, I lived on ploenchit back in 2000 and paid 22,000 for a studio. for 1 month
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

soup wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:11 am Many have left for a variety of reasons. The ones still here are all in with wife and kids, scammers, teachers in a long term job or just scrapping by.
H
Good bit of surmising there, but are we are still talking Thailand here? Actually, some of the scammers are leaving here now. Something about income tax afa the boratey go, and police raids if you're Chinese​. But there are still plenty about. They even have their own board.You should check it out, especially if you're a bit whuh, a bit whey.
See crook!!!
hatchelt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by hatchelt »

saigonjackpot wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:19 amThais perhaps the most xenophobic race on planet earth dont care how dashing you are mate, if your not Thai your simply not Thai.
You know, you could replace "Thais" with "Cornish" and a lot of us emmets would agree with the statement. In some parts of Cornwall you'll still find "English out" graffiti (Cornwall is part of England btw, like, fully, not some Scotland or Wales deal).

Sounds like a few people have had a rough ride in BK. But, isn't that life? Regardless of where you settle down, there's always people trying to pull a fast one...hell, my landlord wrote to me only last week saying my rent is going up for no good reason after only 13 months of living there.

Not saying I don't appreciate the warnings, it's good to hear all sides...but if we all played it safe there'd be no "expats" and there's certainly enough on this forum alone to make me think it's possible and worth a shot.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

hatchelt wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:27 pm
saigonjackpot wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:19 amThais perhaps the most xenophobic race on planet earth dont care how dashing you are mate, if your not Thai your simply not Thai.
You know, you could replace "Thais" with "Cornish" and a lot of us emmets would agree with the statement. In some parts of Cornwall you'll still find "English out" graffiti (Cornwall is part of England btw, like, fully, not some Scotland or Wales deal).

Sounds like a few people have had a rough ride in BK. But, isn't that life? Regardless of where you settle down, there's always people trying to pull a fast one...hell, my landlord wrote to me only last week saying my rent is going up for no good reason after only 13 months of living there.

Not saying I don't appreciate the warnings, it's good to hear all sides...but if we all played it safe there'd be no "expats" and there's certainly enough on this forum alone to make me think it's possible and worth a shot.
different strokes for different folks mucker
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

Bangkok is not what it once was, before the visa crack downs and martial law sure it was great .

The fun days are over and bkk has become boring and expensive , a beer in Nanak plaze will set you back 4 Aussie dollars thats 35 cents of more than in kings cross Sydney.

You might have some luck but I know for a faact that a shit load of expats moved on from Thailand and there must be good reason for it, even can Cambodia it rapidly getting more expensive and boring with every man and his dog going for the expat experience..,..............
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

saigonjackpot wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:47 pm

Bangkok is not what it once was, before the visa crack downs and martial law sure it was great .

The fun days are over and bkk has become boring and expensive , a beer in Nanak plaze will set you back 4 Aussie dollars thats 35 cents of more than in kings cross Sydney.

You might have some luck but I know for a faact that a shit load of expats moved on from Thailand and there must be good reason for it, even can Cambodia it rapidly getting more expensive and boring with every man and his dog going for the expat experience..,..............
thats cheap, when i went down Soi Cowboy a couple of years ago it was 175 baht (nearly 7 AUD) for a bottle of Chang in a Normal bar (not even a girly bar)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic