Same Sex Marriage.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Same Sex Marriage.

Post by Duncan »

Where do you stand on this subject.

I stand in the middle, but only because everyone wants to call it marriage. To me , marriage is described as a union between a man and a woman in the dictionary, so if one was to change the meaning of the word marriage, the next call would be to change the meaning of many other words.
Should we get to changing the word door to ,, lets say window ,,or point to the sky saying that is the ground.

I have no problems about m/m or fm/fm , or even their relationships with dogs or horses, but if they want it to be recognized by others as an official relationship why not use the word Civil Union or something like that.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Same Sex Marriage.

Post by cptrelentless »

Dictionary word definitions change with use, check out 'literally' as an example, or 'awesome' if you're American. Are you literally shaking with awe? Saying people can marry pets is stupid, how can your dog sign the register? My mate went to Italy and they decided they'd like to get married in this lovely church they saw. Turns out they only realised after they booked it all you have to be Catholic and do a load of god stuff first. It's only something other than paperwork if you're religious. I don't see what having more than one cock involved has to do with anything, you just get 50% of the other person's stuff.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Duncan, nobody cares what you think.

"Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove.
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;.."

Words worth living by.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

What possible difference could it make to my life? Or yours? NONE! Do what you want. Marry your dog if you want. As long as no coercion involved. She/he can sign with a paw print. Just as many bipedal beings can only sign a doc with a thumbprint.
Why are people so hung on this? One word, RELIGION. What ever flavor you choose or choose not to choose.
Do what you want to do, be who you want to be. Ain't up to you or me. So there!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

it is a civil contract between consenting adults primarily concerned with property - is it not?
so who gives a fuck?
probably not the descendants, but should have the same legal protection for pension and tax purposes, life insurance etc.
i agree that controversy centers on religious and misguided moral judgement by people who have noses that are a little long for poking into other's private arrangements.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

However I will give a dissenting vote that it is primarily about property. I think some just want to make a statement to the world that they have a differing viewpoint. A way of challenging the status quo.
As in :fuckyou: :licker: :sm smiley: :banana: :dontcare: to the worlds status quo.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Marriage is a legal contract. It has nothing to do with love and soulmates. It's about legality and property and inheritance. It is the recognition of your couple by the state, and therefore by society. Same sex marriage gives homosexual couples the same rights and obligations before the law as heterosexual couples.
Same sex marriage doesn't take anything away from traditional marriage, and there is no reason that it should weaken society. If anything, the idea that same sex couples aspire to this marriage thing makes it a more inclusive institution because it binds outlier individuals into social norms.

Personally, I'm against marriage as a concept because I don't feel the need to have my relation validated by the state. But being realistic, in most countries there are a number of reasons why getting married makes your life easier as a couple. So yes, I understand same sex couples' desire for marriage, to have society's recognition and acceptance, and to enjoy the same legal rights as heterosexual couples.
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

only a man and woman?
This is according to Websters>

Definition of marriage
1a see usage paragraph below : the state of being united as spouses in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law
b : the mutual relation of married persons : WEDLOCK
c : the institution whereby individuals are joined in a marriage
2 : an act of marrying or the rite by which the married status is effected
especially : the wedding ceremony and attendant festivities or formalities
3 : an intimate or close union

Also languages are fluid and change all the time.
Duncan wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:49 pm Where do you stand on this subject.

I stand in the middle, but only because everyone wants to call it marriage. To me , marriage is described as a union between a man and a woman in the dictionary, so if one was to change the meaning of the word marriage, the next call would be to change the meaning of many other words.
Should we get to changing the word door to ,, lets say window ,,or point to the sky saying that is the ground.

I have no problems about m/m or fm/fm , or even their relationships with dogs or horses, but if they want it to be recognized by others as an official relationship why not use the word Civil Union or something like that.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

marriage is sometimes a legal minefield. For my sins i recently acuired residenc ein the Eu of a khmer. the country concenred required the Khmer to be married. Civil poarntership was only permissible between people of the same sex. So a gay couple could obtain residence for the khmer partner with a civil partnership, but a male and female couple rquired marriage.
Some countries have other rules such that, for exampe, if you are married and one dies the other can continue receiving the pension of the deceased, but in a civil paretnesrhip this does not apply. If you are married and one dies without a will the other gets everything, if you are in a civil partnership the distribution of your estate is handled differently. it really depends on whatstatus the state you are living in gives to a civil partnership and whether it is 1005 equivalent to a marriage or not. Until recently in the UK a man and woman could marry, but only same sex couples could have a civil partnership. i think that changed last year, or is in the process of being changed
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

When they change marriage laws, I am sure some people would like it to be legal to have more than one wife, or so we are not discriminating, more than one partner. For the people making the laws, this is not an option.

In many societies, they do have more than one partner, but they have to break up with the first one before marrying the next one. In some societies, they can marry another without breaking up with the first one.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic