Milk in Cambodia

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Milk in Cambodia

Post by Anchor Moy »

The is not possible with Khmer cows as far as I know. Rural locals have informed me that they lactate only when they have calves. Stranger yet there is a former killing field near where I live that is referred to as the former Japanese Dairy.

Perhaps I am wrong but I don't believe milk products form an essential part of Japanese diet and Khmer don't use it, so who bought the dairy products and what breed(s) of cows did they use? My CEO funeral shirt is offered as a prize for the most likely answer.
Q1 Orphanages.
Q2 Goats.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

You fixed it for me Ray, but my questions still stand.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

AM, what orphanages and I'm certain it didn't involve goats. I know of no one locally, even the Cham who raise them, who drinks the milk or partakes of the by products.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i think i have this right as i have met the proponents

moomoo milk uses a thai dairy cross based on holstein-friesian that is a proven performer in the tropics.
they are further working in consultation with a khmer guy- mr miranda who heads usaid and ausaid programs in the region ( including laos and myanmar )
these are some long running and successful programs for cattle using AI, which is available at a very low rate for those wanting to improve their stock, the improved pasture programs have produced fantastic results inaround 9 different trial locations over the past 8 years.

mr miranda is a PhD vet sci ruminants from the uni of new england in armidale NSW Australia
they grow improved pasture and practise ensilage and keep the feed in cryovac in controlled climate
that is how they produce milk year round, they address the "hungry gap : in advance.

i should addd- moomoo milk is purely private enterprise and not a charity or ngo.
the product is world class
anyone who ever had milk cows will know the difference.
before KR- cambodia exported milk under nestle brand to the neighbours
dairy is enormously in demand in asia
the founders are a couple of former mormon elders who had their mission in cambodia- saw the potential for dairy and acted on it.
good on them, i say.
nothing but good to say about this enterprise.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Anyone know how much roughly for 1 bottle (1 litre I presume)

Never seen it before in lucky, although I have never specifically looked. Fed up of drinking the Cowshead UHT shit.

Also read somewhere that it is raw, unpasteurised, milk. What would the shelf life of that be?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

OK, a new strain would explain a lot at a commercial level, but for my local neighbors they are valuable as meat only. One question tho, I would like to know who in Asia has an enormous demand for milk. Milk powder I can conceded, but outside of barang who in Asia has this craving?
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

taabarang wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:11 pm OK, a new strain would explain a lot at a commercial level, but for my local neighbors they are valuable as meat only. One question tho, I would like to know who in Asia has an enormous demand for milk. Milk powder I can conceded, but outside of barang who in Asia has this craving?
Lots of Khmers around SHV buy fresh milk...my neighbours seem to buy a couple jugs a week, the older Khmer lady in front if me in Samudera had a large jug tonite; I don’t keep tabs but it’s not that rare IMO. Obviously at nearly 4$$ for a 2L jug it may not fly off the shelves in the countryside (if it’s even stocked). My ex gf use to love the flavoured yogurty milk also, should have bought her a cow and some flavoured syrups now that i think about it.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

taabarang wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:44 pm You fixed it for me Ray, but my questions still stand.
I believe it was UT, I don’t have such powers and responsibilities :wink:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

powder because they can get it. i like milk though it has been over a month since i had any.
which one would you prefer and which has the shortest supply chain?
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

To maintain lactation, a dairy cow must be bred and produce calves.
that's a news flash for some.... :?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dairy_cattle

on a slight tangent Asia is fuelling massive growth in the NZ milk industry but surprisingly not bovine based

http://www2.nzherald.co.nz/the-country/ ... d=11891815

this proves it's not just churches that milk sheep......... :ROFL:
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic