Why do Cambodians eat so badly?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Since I've been living here I've noticed that the majority of Cambodians eat very badly indeed. Why do you think this is?
I mean, the way they eat can't be too healthy. Not talking smacking lips etc
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Re: Why do Cambodians eat so badly?

Post by saigonjackpot »

juansweetpotato wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:32 am Why do Cambodians eat so badly?
Since I've been living here I've noticed that the majority of Cambodians eat very badly indeed. Why do you think this is?
They eat horrid food over there in Cambodia,I once went into a 1 dollar soup restaurant and they served up some discussing squid head soup it was something from a b grade Horror movie .

The are just uneducated and have no idea is my only true

Answer oh and most are fucked poor.
Last edited by saigonjackpot on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

saigonjackpot wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:46 am
juansweetpotato wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:32 am Why do Cambodians eat so badly?
They eat horrid food over there in Cambodia,I once went into a 1dollat soup restaurant and they served up some discussing squid head soup it was something from a b grade Horror movie .

The are just uneducated and have no idea is my only true

Answer oh and most are fucked poor.
All good answers for some, but not really what I'm getting at.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

juansweetpotato wrote:Why do Cambodians eat so badly?
What about the a way thwy eat can't be too healthy?

Not my experience at all. Wide variety of vegetables, fruits, and traditional medicine plants are eaten every day in my wife's family, and besides a bit of ajinomoto, canned sardines and their own fish pastes, prahok, and pickles, they eat virtually nothing processed.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

$$$
goes back to the KR era when they ate whatever they could find..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:33 am $$$
goes back to the KR era when they ate whatever they could find..
Misleading facts.

Pre Khmer rouge regime Cambodia was economically OK.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

epidemiks wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:23 am

Not my experience at all. Wide variety of vegetables, fruits, and traditional medicine plants are eaten every day in my wife's family, and besides a bit of ajinomoto, canned sardines and their own fish pastes, prahok, and pickles, they eat virtually nothing processed.
Exactly, my experience is that they eat quite a healthy well balanced diet, and there are always a variety of fruit and vegetables included. I have a few friends that are garment workers and in that respect not really "well off" but even so the meals although more basic are well balanced and varied

juansweetpotato
Expatriate

epidemiks wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:23 am

This is sort of a test question, and surprisingly​ for me, you failed. But all good points though.
BTW, uncooked prahok is a real health risk for a lot of Cambodians. It's the parasites.
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

I'll give you a hint. Try translating the question into Khmer.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Didn't the Cambodian diet get rated one of the healthiest? Some time back, maybe PP Post? But I remember giggling at the time as this idea surely doesn't include the amount of food available to some..... healthy food is fine to starve on!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic