Yikes,it's the gripes !

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Yikes,it's the gripes !

Post by bobsboots »

I'm moving to PP in 2 months. I have lived in SE Asia for 25 years so I am well aware of the merits and downsides that cities or coastal towns offer. I was just wondering. For you, the long term expats in PP or Snooky, what is the one thing that annoys you most about where you live?
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Yikes,it's the gripes !

Post by juansweetpotato »

bobsboots wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:18 am I'm moving to PP in 2 months. I have lived in SE Asia for 25 years so I am well aware of the merits and downsides that cities or coastal towns offer. I was just wondering. For you, the long term expats in PP or Snooky, what is the one thing that annoys you most about where you live?
I could give you a loooong list, but to distill it down to just one thing? I'm still thinking....
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bobsboots »

It's a tough question, I know. In Jakarta it would probably be the gridlocked traffic.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

bobsboots wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:57 am It's a tough question, I know. In Jakarta it would probably be the gridlocked traffic.
I've heard a lot of bad stories about that over the years. Never been there myself. Is it only at rush hour? Or throughout the day?
I hated it when there were Moto jams in Vietnam, and everyone kept their engines running even when not moving at all for 30 mins. You could really taste the monoxide poisoning your lungs. PP is a breeze compared to that, especially when you work out the best routes.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bobsboots »

No, it happens all the time all over the city and Jakarta is at least 20 kms west to east. Worse during rush hour. Even worse when it rains. Took 3 hours the other night in a taxi to travel 10kms
Last edited by bobsboots on Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bobsboots »

juansweetpotato wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:03 am
bobsboots wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:57 am It's a tough question, I know. In Jakarta it would probably be the gridlocked traffic.
I've heard a lot of bad stories about that over the years. Never been there myself. Is it only at rush hour? Or throughout the day?
I hated it when there were Moto jams in Vietnam, and everyone kept their engines running even when not moving at all for 30 mins. You could really taste the monoxide poisoning your lungs. PP is a breeze compared to that, especially when you work out the best routes.
Add to that the estimated 6 million motorcycles here as well.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

gripes...
PP... Rush hour Traffic, no beaches, no places to 'escape', not rural enough (im not a big city guy)
SHV... Not enough to do, you end up doing the same shit a lot

both have their pros n cons tbh
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Phnom Pehn
its a busy congested city and to far from a beach

Shv,
the amount of ripoffs and general attitude of locals towards Barangs, and as Jamie said, outside of sitting on the beach and drinking at night, not much to do, Poor choice of food and shopping

- for cambodia, if used to western things in Thailand, they will ALL ( except getting drunk) cost ya more
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

The 'driving', if one could call it that.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

Hmmmm.

Khmers using mayonnaise instead of cheese.

Horrible beer that taistes like metal/tomato.

Expat forums that have a lot of members who cannot handle other people thought oppinions .

Western women who are snotty and stuck up.

Khmer women demanding money for sex.

Expats who think they are higher up in some mind of heirachy because they live in Cambodia .

Bad food.

Too hot weather.

Dust.

Exhaustion.

There's nothing to do but drink beer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic