Yikes,it's the gripes !

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Yikes,it's the gripes !

Post by ExPenhMan »

There are nice apartments in the city, good restaurants and bars, very decent supermarkets for those "must have" ingredients, all in all a very attractive arrangement for an expat.

But then you have to descend from your building into the chaos of the street, with its dust, dirt, garbage, potholes, tuktuk chicanes everywhere, lack of anything resembling a sidewalk that you can actually use before the motorcycles and SUVs block the entire path. So my biggest gripe is the street-level blight and the pain of getting anywhere.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

ReasonstobefearfulP3 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:32 am Personally I don't think the traffic in PP is too bad, especially compared to the other SEA cities. Rush hour is pretty hectic but can easily be avoided for the most part. With it being a relatively small city you can always walk!

As mentioned above, after being in Jakarta for so long I think the traffic could be quite idyllic in comparison.
Its not the traffic so much as the appalling standard of driving that's the issue. In most places around the world there isn't a large proportion of drivers deliberately trying to kill you. Over the last two years the number of young "kamikaze maniacs" driving motos has increased considerably, making moto riding extremely risky, and car driving potentially expensive when someone for instance "plows" into you. Since the early '70's I have driven cars and bikes all over the world and driven in Phnom Penh for over 20 years and over the last two years this has become the worst driving experience of my life.
jayblues
Expatriate

Post by jayblues »

As a pedestrian, I find Phnom Penh very navigable and easy to get around. No need for a vehicle.
Drivers are all insane, crossing roads and intersections can be stressful and dangerous.
But as a pedestrian, I feel safer walking than when riding on the back of a motorbike or tuk tuk.
jayblues
Expatriate

Post by jayblues »

I'm not an expat, but what annoys me the most is the intentional bill padding by (usually expat) bar staff/owners who think that I'm drunk after 6 draft beers. I count my beers and know what I drink. It's very bad business to attempt to rip off a professional beer drinker.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

jayblues wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:31 pm As a pedestrian, I find Phnom Penh very navigable and easy to get around. No need for a vehicle.
Drivers are all insane, crossing roads and intersections can be stressful and dangerous.
But as a pedestrian, I feel safer walking than when riding on the back of a motorbike or tuk tuk.
I walk pretty much everywhere but let's be honest: it is not a pleasant experience (like in any city in SE Asia). It is hot and grimy, crossing some of the streets is a nightmare, and it can of course be time-consuming if the destination is a few kilometers away.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

hanno wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:34 pm
jayblues wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:31 pm As a pedestrian, I find Phnom Penh very navigable and easy to get around. No need for a vehicle.
I walk pretty much everywhere but let's be honest: it is not a pleasant experience (like in any city in SE Asia). It is hot and grimy, crossing some of the streets is a nightmare, and it can of course be time-consuming if the destination is a few kilometers away.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Definitely have to keeps your wits about you and be looking in all directions even when crossing the road with the lights (motos on wrong side and/or running red light). I'd rather use a motodop than ride a moto myself... but when possible I'll use a regular one so I know how good they are.

I like a city vibe, I would be bored shitless in SHV.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bobsboots »

Kuroneko wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:23 pm
ReasonstobefearfulP3 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:32 am Personally I don't think the traffic in PP is too bad, especially compared to the other SEA cities. Rush hour is pretty hectic but can easily be avoided for the most part. With it being a relatively small city you can always walk!

As mentioned above, after being in Jakarta for so long I think the traffic could be quite idyllic in comparison.
Its not the traffic so much as the appalling standard of driving that's the issue. In most places around the world there isn't a large proportion of drivers deliberately trying to kill you. Over the last two years the number of young "kamikaze maniacs" driving motos has increased considerably, making moto riding extremely risky, and car driving potentially expensive when someone for instance "plows" into you. Since the early '70's I have driven cars and bikes all over the world and driven in Phnom Penh for over 20 years and over the last two years this has become the worst driving experience of my life.
With you on that one. I don't know if it is the same in PP , but here a strange phenomenon occurs.
Generally speaking, The Indonesians you meet on the street are friendly, considerate, caring and pretty much laid back. Put them on a motorcycle though and watch out. They become maniacal; not a care for their own safety, let alone the safety of others. They own the road. Rules, what rules ? Riding in any direction or side of the street is fine. Riding on the sidewalks is normal. They carry babies with no crash helmets. They text while riding.
When they get off the bike, they return to their normality. Still can't figure this out after all this time.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

bobsboots wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:22 pm 1. I hate both.
2. Interesting. Never had a metallic tomato beer.
3. Your'e wrong, in my opinion.
4. Maybe only towards you.
5. Look up the definition of prostitution in a dictionary.
6. Like you ?
7. You are what you eat.
8. It's Cambodia !
9. See point 8.
10. See point 11.
11. a) If all you do is beer, why are you exhausted ?
b) If the beer is shit, why drink it ?
I like you, you've worked out Trapper already!
I spent 5 years in Sihanoukville. Sort of agree with Jamie that there's not a lot to do if you are single and don't work, but that's one of the main reasons I work. Also that I'm far to young to retire and the extra cash always comes in handy too :D The fact that I'm in a long term relationship also makes things a lot easier (sometimes, in some ways :wink: Now I'm on the Island and things are fukn awesome tbh
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bobsboots »

Hotdigr wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:08 am
bobsboots wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:22 pm 1. I hate both.
2. Interesting. Never had a metallic tomato beer.
3. Your'e wrong, in my opinion.
4. Maybe only towards you.
5. Look up the definition of prostitution in a dictionary.
6. Like you ?
7. You are what you eat.
8. It's Cambodia !
9. See point 8.
10. See point 11.
11. a) If all you do is beer, why are you exhausted ?
b) If the beer is shit, why drink it ?
I like you, you've worked out Trapper already!
I spent 5 years in Sihanoukville. Sort of agree with Jamie that there's not a lot to do if you are single and don't work, but that's one of the main reasons I work. Also that I'm far to young to retire and the extra cash always comes in handy too :D The fact that I'm in a long term relationship also makes things a lot easier (sometimes, in some ways :wink: Now I'm on the Island and things are fukn awesome tbh
Haha. But he is pretty transparent. Wonder why he has been silent for a few days ? Maybe ripped off by a Thai or Khmer girl in Queensland ? Which island are you on ?
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bobsboots »

jayblues wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:33 pm I'm not an expat, but what annoys me the most is the intentional bill padding by (usually expat) bar staff/owners who think that I'm drunk after 6 draft beers. I count my beers and know what I drink. It's very bad business to attempt to rip off a professional beer drinker.
That happens here too. It's a sin. We know what we have drunk.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic