Death Island- Koh Tao

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Death Island- Koh Tao

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Ian Yarwood wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:50 am
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:24 am well seeing as the video was in the samui times......
sure there going to be upset,

Thai's have ZERO sense of humor when it comes to breaking their income revenue and slamming the police/government as being ineffective or corrupt
More than one farang has been taken to court here in phuket
Yes, that’s true. Apparently the Thais have no sense of humour when it comes to breaking their income and slamming the police and government as corrupt. Go figure!? :wink:
Yet another totally condascending attack on Thai people that applies to every country in the world, are you seriously saying that people in Australia and America are rolling in laughter when their income is cut. I I heard that Australia recently restricted migration to it's cities due to economic implications. It's a bit like the often heard ignorant foreigners saying, " Thais only care about money ", which actually seems to be the driving force in materialstic countries such as Australia and America.

If you think " The Thais " have no sense of humour in slamming the police and government " then I'm afraid you really are showing a lack of ignorance of the current state of Thailand. Some would say it's no laughing matter given the seriousness of the situation politically.

Anyway I won't hold my breath at seeing Miss not stupid Click Bait sweeping the Oscars next year. :thumb:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Ian Yarwood
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ian Yarwood »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:43 pm
Ian Yarwood wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:50 am
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:24 am well seeing as the video was in the samui times......
sure there going to be upset,

Thai's have ZERO sense of humor when it comes to breaking their income revenue and slamming the police/government as being ineffective or corrupt
More than one farang has been taken to court here in phuket
Yes, that’s true. Apparently the Thais have no sense of humour when it comes to breaking their income and slamming the police and government as corrupt. Go figure!? :wink:
Yet another totally condascending attack on Thai people that applies to every country in the world, are you seriously saying that people in Australia and America are rolling in laughter when their income is cut. I I heard that Australia recently restricted migration to it's cities due to economic implications. It's a bit like the often heard ignorant foreigners saying, " Thais only care about money ", which actually seems to be the driving force in materialstic countries such as Australia and America.

If you think " The Thais " have no sense of humour in slamming the police and government " then I'm afraid you really are showing a lack of ignorance of the current state of Thailand. Some would say it's no laughing matter given the seriousness of the situation politically.

Anyway I won't hold my breath at seeing Miss not stupid Click Bait sweeping the Oscars next year. :thumb:
It is clear that Cowshed Cowboy is misrepresenting what has been posted and also the material in the video.

I never suggested that Thailand suffers under a “news blackout” although I can make the obvious point that there is heavy censorship including self-censorship due to the draconian criminal defamation laws, which most expats are keenly aware of.

(It is worth noting that within Thailand, some of the best news and information can be found in social media and in forums (fora) such as this one, CEO! - mixed in with some odd comments here and there.)

In addition, I did not suggest that expats are unaware of the laws they live under. The point I made was that the actress, Natasha Dai is also very aware of those laws. (It is also worth noting that within Thailand the courts do not follow precedents so it is fair to say that the law is often unsettled or unknown when it comes to interpreting statutes!)

Given that statements have been misrepresented by Cowshed Cowboy, he might wish to be more careful when accusing others of being “condAscending” (sic) as he simply puts a huge target on himself by doing so.

In addition, if he accuses someone of having a “lack of ignorance”, he should recognise that he has actually praised them!

For the record, I am very aware that there are many decent, switched on Thais and expats living in the kingdom. I even made the point in the video that many Thais become targets of scapegoating.

As PhuketRichard would know, many decent people fall victims to various real estate scams on Phuket.
Ian Yarwood
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ian Yarwood »

http://www.nmg-news.com/koh-tao-murder/

The focus of the defence lawyers including the Myanmar lawyer quoted in this article is not optimal.

Yes, it is worth noting that the defendants’ DNA was not found on a hoe that appeared to be one of the murder weapons.

The feature of the case that is far more important was that there was absolutely no reliable evidence that the defendants’ DNA was on either victim. The “evidence” that the police and prosecution put forward was bogus.

It was a scrap of paper prepared by a police laboratory that lacked the correct accreditation at the material time. Internationally accepted procedures for the collection and preservation of original samples were completely ignored. There was no chain of custody. The defence had no access to original materials. There was no statistical analysis of the samples. The report submitted was an unendorsed report, which should never have been tendered as evidence and which (with the utmost respect) the court erred in accepting.

Ian Yarwood
Barrister & Solicitor
PERTH
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Ian Yarwood
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ian Yarwood »

Samui Times refers to article from Network Media Group News. No decision yet from the Supreme Court of Thailand on the appeals against convictions in Koh Tao double murder case.Image

http://www.samuitimes.com/no-decision-o ... rder-case/
Ian Yarwood
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ian Yarwood »

A tweet from Thai politician known as “Khun Bow” about letters passing between Norway and a Burmese guy on death row in Bangkwang Central Prison, Bangkok is going a little viral.

“Maria” of Norway had noticed stories about a 22-year-old Norwegian girl (Silje Mathisen) who was killed during a scuba lesson in Koh Tao waters in a completely avoidable accident. Maria also became aware of the murders of David Miller and Hannah Witheridge and the subsequent convictions of Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo on bogus evidence.

Maria has written letters of support to the scapegoats and the correspondence is now the subject of the very popular tweet.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Meanwhile, the trend seems to be spreading to other islands:

BRITISH TOURIST RAPED ON PHI PHI ISLAND, POLICE SAY
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crim ... olice-say/

CHONBURI MAN ARRESTED OVER ALLEGED RAPE-MURDER OF GERMAN TOURIST (on Koh Sichang, Chonburi province)
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crim ... n-tourist/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

and another in Khao Lak
Australian stabbed 12 times trying to protect Thai woman

PHANG NGA: An Australian man is recovering in hospital after he was stabbed multiple times following an altercation at a bar in Phang Nga in the early hours of Thursday morning (Apr 18).

https://www.thephuketnews.com/australia ... 3cA6SF5.97
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
kaputt
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by kaputt »

This happens again and again on the islands in southern thailand (and on the islands close to sihanoukville). I always wonder what's wrong with these western women in their 20's, don't they have any sense of putting themself in danger ? A number of western women not only got raped but also murdered but that does not deter them of getting wasted and than simply dump themself at the beach (probably they do the same kind of shit back home).

The 21-year-old Briton, whose name was withheld, registered a complaint alleging sexual abuse with police on the island of Koh PiPi on Monday. She said she could not remember the attacker as the assault occured while
she was drunk and asleep outside a hotel restaurant on Loh Dalum beach, Pol Col Krissana said. The tourist was a lone traveller and went out with an Irishman for drinks on Sunday night. They were returning to their hotel after the bar closed at 1am on Monday. They instead ended up going to sleep outside a beachside restaurant at another hotel.

Please credit and share this article with others using this link: https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/crime/ ... oh-phi-phi.. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Bangkok Post Public Company Limited. All rights reserved.
Ian Yarwood
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ian Yarwood »

Here is a link to the satirical sequel to the HONEST KOH TAO TOURISM VIDEO published on 15 March 2019.

This time, Sydney actress Natash Dai focuses on the CULTURE on Koh Tao aka Death Island.

Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I really wish young Westerners didn’t bring their culture of drunkenness to Thailand’s beautiful islands. I was shocked to read a young British girl was so drunk she couldn’t even make it back to her hotel room and passed out sleeping in the street. Apparently a Thai guy was able to cut off her shorts, rape her and she couldn’t even recall any of it. Western standards of behaviour and personal responsibility seems to be at an all time low.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic