Death Island- Koh Tao

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Death Island- Koh Tao

Post by Username Taken »

Ian Yarwood wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:12 pm Deadly Australian drop bears and Koh Tao Murders.

The things some people learn too late!

Your credibility just took a nosedive, Ian.
Part 1 of your video is totally irrelevant to the seriousness of Part 2.

What were you thinking?
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:43 pm
Ian Yarwood wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:12 pm Deadly Australian drop bears and Koh Tao Murders.

The things some people learn too late!

Your credibility just took a nosedive, Ian.

What were you thinking?
Sometimes you shoot for the moon, but just burn up in the sun. :beer3:
Ian Yarwood
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ian Yarwood »

Reply to Username Taken

"Your credibility just took a nosedive, Ian.

What were you thinking?"

For your information, Part 1 is also very serious.

The relevance of the two parts is explained in both the video and in the description beneath it. It is about how people get things wrong - possibly a habit you are familiar with? It is about how journalists and others fail to research before commenting. With your respect, your comment is a mere assertion that is refuted within both the video and the description. Have a nice day.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^^^ Koh Tao deaths were just a prank. Got it!

Good day to you too, sir.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I'm confused. But not enough to click on a YouTube video. Not sure about drop bears, but coconuts are a real killer (if they land on your head).
Ian Yarwood
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ian Yarwood »

Drop bears do confuse and surprise some people. Coconuts 🥥 are much easier to understand.
Ian Yarwood
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ian Yarwood »

My new video featuring an interview with Sam Venning who survived an unprovoked attack with Canadian girl, Carla Bartel in the very same spot where Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were found bludgeoned to death just one year later.

Two young tourists survive an unprovoked attack in the SAME PLACE on Sairee Beach, Koh Tao where the battered bodies of Hannah Witheridge & David Miller were found just over one year later! (The story from two young tourists)
“I have tried to suppress those memories as it could have easily been me in that body bag instead of David and Hannah. I think of them often and consider myself lucky to be alive.”
- Sam Venning 24 March 2021
San Francisco, California, USA
“Sam ran up behind me about a minute later with blood gushing down his face. He had a rock smashed across the side of his head ..”
- Carla Bartel 17 September 2014
Manitoba, Canada

sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Ian Yarwood wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:58 am My new video featuring an interview with Sam Venning who survived an unprovoked attack with Canadian girl, Carla Bartel in the very same spot where Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were found bludgeoned to death just one year later.

Two young tourists survive an unprovoked attack in the SAME PLACE on Sairee Beach, Koh Tao where the battered bodies of Hannah Witheridge & David Miller were found just over one year later! (The story from two young tourists)
“I have tried to suppress those memories as it could have easily been me in that body bag instead of David and Hannah. I think of them often and consider myself lucky to be alive.”
“Sam ran up behind me about a minute later with blood gushing down his face. He had a rock smashed across the side of his head ..”
Manitoba, Canada

Didn't have the time to watch the whole video, but at one point he says, "I knew people that lived on the island. I hung out with them while I was there." A bit later, he says, "One thing my friends did say before I came out: be very respectful of Thai people and you know, their cultures and their norms because you don't want to get into any trouble."

This implies that he had some knowledge of the island's reputation but chose to travel there with the plan to spend two weeks anyway. He seems to be an intelligent fellow. Can you explain how or why he made this decision or mention where he explains it in the video? It's a bit puzzling...

Perhaps, he didn't have in-depth knowledge of the murders, but it seems like his decision was rather irrational. In short, if you know a place is famously dangerous, why would you visit there? :chin: :unknown:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

sigmoid wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:51 pm
Ian Yarwood wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:58 am My new video featuring an interview with Sam Venning who survived an unprovoked attack with Canadian girl, Carla Bartel in the very same spot where Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were found bludgeoned to death just one year later.

Manitoba, Canada

Didn't have the time to watch the whole video, but at one point he says, "I knew people that lived on the island. I hung out with them while I was there." A bit later, he says, "One thing my friends did say before I came out: be very respectful of Thai people and you know, their cultures and their norms because you don't want to get into any trouble."

This implies that he had some knowledge of the island's reputation but chose to travel there with the plan to spend two weeks anyway. He seems to be an intelligent fellow. Can you explain how or why he made this decision or mention where he explains it in the video? It's a bit puzzling...

Perhaps, he didn't have in-depth knowledge of the murders, but it seems like his decision was rather irrational. In short, if you know a place is famously dangerous, why would you visit there? :chin: :unknown:
I know two dive instructors there; the dives are superb apparently. Worth the risk? Maybe not, unless you love diving enough to die perhaps.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Ian Yarwood
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ian Yarwood »

sigmoid wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:51 pm

Manitoba, Canada

Hi sigmoid.

I can’t really speak for Sam Venning. I would agree that Sam certainly seems intelligent but intelligence is no guarantee that one doesn’t make some bad decisions. To be fair on both Koh Tao and Sam, he might have had a brilliant vacation without any violence had he not stopped to chat in a dark part of Sairee Beach near that bridge.

I gather that Sam “had some knowledge” of Koh Tao’s reputation as you say but maybe he learned a great deal more on the night/morning he was attacked.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic