Drivers Don’t See Red With New Traffic Lights in Capital

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: Drivers Don’t See Red With New Traffic Lights in Capital

Post by Luigi »

one_dolla wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:50 pm there be 6 junctions 'controlled' by sets of lights down here in pleasant Sihanoukville by the sea. depending on which way you is traveling, on the correct side of the road, some are too far round a corner or obscured by tree limbs to be seen as you approach.....

Recently one set, not counted above, was replaced by a traffic circle/roundabout .... and it seems to have slowed everyone down , even the speed mad Chinese, when going through an intersection that some used to blast through before...

Is that the one bedfore Vic Hill? Was a dolphin statue now a billfish & a dolphin statue.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

Luigi wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:36 pm
one_dolla wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:50 pm there be 6 junctions 'controlled' by sets of lights down here in pleasant Sihanoukville by the sea. depending on which way you is traveling, on the correct side of the road, some are too far round a corner or obscured by tree limbs to be seen as you approach.....

Recently one set, not counted above, was replaced by a traffic circle/roundabout .... and it seems to have slowed everyone down , even the speed mad Chinese, when going through an intersection that some used to blast through before...

Is that the one bedfore Vic Hill? Was a dolphin statue now a billfish & a dolphin statue.
yes
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:24 pm I don't understand why they have activated the new lights at intersections that already had them before, instead of starting with the intersections that didn't previously but desperately needed them. Oh wait... yes... Cambodia. nvm
I've noticed major improvements with the new lights in two places so far in PP:

At the crossroads on Monivong and the road that goes to Capital/ Orussey. They now have straight on, turn right, turn left, for all four directions. A huge improvement, and people are actually starting to get used to them and use them. I have seen, what I consider as, a tremedos improvement in safety. All we need now is to start shooting people that jump the lights in the middle of the red cycle. Lol

The other place is on MTT where it goes under the flyover. They took the roundabout away and added a similar system to the one above. I have seen a tremedos improvement in reduction of congestion.

Oh yeah, and they finally got some lights to turn into and cross over Monivong at lakeside.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

juansweetpotato wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:49 am
timmydownawell wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:24 pm I don't understand why they have activated the new lights at intersections that already had them before, instead of starting with the intersections that didn't previously but desperately needed them. Oh wait... yes... Cambodia. nvm

At the crossroads on Monivong and the road that goes to Capital/ Orussey. They now have straight on, turn right, turn left, for all four directions. A huge improvement, and people are actually starting to get used to them and use them. I have seen, what I consider as, a tremedos improvement in safety. All we need now is to start shooting people that jump the lights in the middle of the red cycle. Lol

The other place is on MTT where it goes under the flyover. They took the roundabout away and added a similar system to the one above. I have seen a tremedos improvement in reduction of congestion.

Oh yeah, and they finally got some lights to turn into and cross over Monivong at lakeside.
Oh yeah, once they get them all going it should help things a lot. Just seems silly not to prioritise turning on the new ones where they are needed first, and worry about the replacement ones (which already had working lights with countdown clocks) later.

I'm going to miss the countdown timers though (as a pedestrian mostly, they let me know if I can retreat to the shade for up to 80 seconds while I wait)
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:11 pm
juansweetpotato wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:49 am

Oh yeah, once they get them all going it should help things a lot. Just seems silly not to prioritise turning on the new ones where they are needed first, and worry about the replacement ones (which already had working lights with countdown clocks) later.

I'm going to miss the countdown timers though (as a pedestrian mostly, they let me know if I can retreat to the shade for up to 80 seconds while I wait)
Agreed.. not that I was ever disagreeing with what you said. They also have put pelicon crossing lights in at the Moni/ Orri junction. :shock:
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

In some places the new lights have increased the danger factor a lot. Hopefully temporarily until they start enforcing the lights.
The multi-junction in front of wat analoum on riverside is now a real lottery. Some drivers are obeying the new lights and others are completely ignoring them. This creates a large degree of uncertainly. I anticipate a number of crashes until there is some uniformity of driver behaviour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Why the emphasis on not stopping within the boundaries of the crosswalk? Much more dangerous and moronic driving habits to be concerned with. Anyway, no one walks. Especially since sidewalks are basically unusable for walking. Crosswalks are surely a waste of paint along with the other lines on the roads.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

jah steu wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:06 pm In some places the new lights have increased the danger factor a lot. Hopefully temporarily until they start enforcing the lights.
The multi-junction in front of wat analoum on riverside is now a real lottery. Some drivers are obeying the new lights and others are completely ignoring them. This creates a large degree of uncertainly. I anticipate a number of crashes until there is some uniformity of driver behaviour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Taken out of the context of your above post, and applied generally to the driving here, I ROFL at the bit I bolded. 1000% right.
Last edited by AlonzoPartriz on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
See crook!!!
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

cambo swa wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:58 am Why the emphasis on not stopping within the boundaries of the crosswalk? Much more dangerous and moronic driving habits to be concerned with. Anyway, no one walks. Especially since sidewalks are basically unusable for walking. Crosswalks are surely a waste of paint along with the other lines on the roads.
I have to agree with that. I was on JNehru the other day, at the lights on Monivong. I had just woven myself round the 50m of huge gaps between the cars and tuktuks to come out near the lights, and just went over the line. A young guy next to me, who was infact stopped at the line, told me I shouldn't do that. I said I know, but there are no driving rules in Cambodia. He agreed but said there are some bad people who don't obey the law. It took me back a bit I must admit, but I agreed with him without explaining that it wasn't so important stopping exactly on the line, as driving the wrong direction at speed, driving on the wrong side of the barrier to cut through the traffic at lights, flying across junctions whilst talking on your mobile, never looking behind you - either physically or via the mirrors etcetcetcetcetcetcetc ad infinum.
See crook!!!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

cambo swa wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:58 am Why the emphasis on not stopping within the boundaries of the crosswalk? Much more dangerous and moronic driving habits to be concerned with. Anyway, no one walks. Especially since sidewalks are basically unusable for walking. Crosswalks are surely a waste of paint along with the other lines on the roads.
Some of us walk. It's safer than riding a moto.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic