Barcodes to be put on all vehicle licence plates

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Barcodes to be put on all vehicle licence plates

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Barcodes to be put on licence plates
23 June 2017
The Ministry of Public Works and Transport plans to put QR barcodes on vehicle licence plates by the end of 2017 in a bid to manage data, protect against fraud and make police investigations easier.
Ministry spokesman Chan Dara yesterday said officials would soon set up the system to manage vehicle data and facilitate vehicle supervision.

“We will put QR codes on licence plates. It will make it easy to get information about whether the licence plate matches the car or motorcycle registration,” he said. “This means people will not be able to cheat. There is a technical working group preparing this and I think we will adopt it soon.”

Following a meeting at the ministry on Tuesday, Transport Minister Sun Chanthol told local media the barcodes would make police work easier because officers could simply scan the codes with mobile phones to determine vehicle information.

“From late 2017, all licence plates on vehicles must include the barcode in order to avoid the use of fake plates,” the minister added.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/39597/ ... ce-plates/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Barcodes to be put on all vehicle licence plates

Post by Username Taken »

So anyone with a QR code scanner in their phone can identify the owner of a vehicle?
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:50 pm So anyone with a QR code scanner in their phone can identify the owner of a vehicle?
Interesting question! I await. :popcorn:
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

What I don't understand is that exactly which problem does the QR code solve? Why they cannot just input the license plate number to website and get the info, like it is done in most developed countries. Why they need the QR code? With QR code they still need some access to database and probably some QR reader app. But hey, this is Kingdom of Wonder.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Username Taken wrote:So anyone with a QR code scanner in their phone can identify the owner of a vehicle?
You can make a private database to hold all the information that only certain people could access. Of course this would not take away the threat of someone hacking his database with everyone's information but the average joe with a qr scanner wouldn't be able to see anything unless they had database access.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:29 pm What I don't understand is that exactly which problem does the QR code solve? Why they cannot just input the license plate number to website and get the info, like it is done in most developed countries. Why they need the QR code? With QR code they still need some access to database and probably some QR reader app. But hey, this is Kingdom of Wonder.
FWIW, I think this is yet another brilliant "idea" imported from western countries which won't work in Cambodia until there is systematic registration on a working computer database.
Fine idea in theory, but not yet adapted to reality in Cambodia.
As often in Cambodia, somebody in the government announces some new measures to deal with whatever, then there will be back-pedalling because the measures are unrealistic because there's no way to implement them.
Anyway, we will soon see how this works or doesn't work . They say that it should be in place before the end of 2017. Uh-huh. :dm:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Clearly the KOW was inspired by CEO's karma system.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

Of course it will all be done free of charge as a good will gesture ?? Same prices for Barangs :wink:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

taabarang wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:08 pm Clearly the KOW was inspired by CEO's karma system.
Let us know when you can give karma or licence points for good driving. :?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

.No idea, it's a negative system. Money can buy a lot of get out of jail cards here which is a kind of positive karma.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic