Sniper Shatters World Record

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Sniper Shatters World Record

Post by juansweetpotato »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:48 am You obviously don't know what you're talking about and have never had any military training. No one follows the paper range of any weapon to the letter. An AR15 has a very limited range, but with a modified barrel and different grain loads, will easily double the range and do 1000m+. These guys pack their ammunition themselves (they're not just given standard NATO rounds out of a box) and know their shit. Remember, he was in a high rise so it adds considerably to the range of a .50.

Yet another article :
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... 36dec05c11
Even that article says such a shot is highly implausible. What would you say the chances were out of a 100? I'd say almost 100% luck. If the weather conditions were perfectly still with no cross currents through the, over two miles of possible, buildings, then the chances are somewhat higher. The reports don't go into any detail. Like if the target was alone or in a group. They just say he hit a target. Couldn't that be a group?
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

lurcio wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:28 am
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:18 am
lurcio wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:06 pm Fake news - lap it up
I cross referenced the story with numerous reputable other sources before posting, with the lead coming from The Sydney Morning Herald

Lap it up.

Yeah right, newspapers never print propaganda or flat-out fake news. :facepalm:

I said I cross referenced the story from several reputable other sources before posting. You believing The Sun to be reputable says a considerable amount, I'd suggest, perhaps try reading The Guardian.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:22 am
I cross referenced the story with numerous reputable other sources before posting, with the lead coming from The Sydney Morning Herald

Lap it up.

I said I cross referenced the story from several reputable other sources before posting. You believing The Sun to be reputable says a considerable amount, I'd suggest, perhaps try reading The Guardian.
Do you have a link to the Guardian's article? I couldn't find it.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

juansweetpotato wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:25 am

Lap it up.

My point was more general and not related to the specific story of the sniper. That is to say, if you are going to read trash like The Sun you are going to run the very high risk of being misinformed or blatantly lied to. And those that do read and quote papers like The Sun you'll generally find in your local street running in tight circle screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling".
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:44 am
juansweetpotato wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:25 am

Lap it up.

My point was more general and not related to the specific story of the sniper. That is to say, if you are going to read trash like The Sun you are going to run the very high risk of being misinformed or blatantly lied to. And those that do read and quote papers like The Sun you'll generally find in your local street running in tight circle screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling".
Obviously the Guardian, being a proper newspaper, chose not to pick it up. :D :stir:
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Believe the story, don't believe it.....
lurcio
Expatriate
Guatemala

Post by lurcio »

I've never fired a sniper rifle but an object will fall almost 500 metres in 10 seconds due to gravity so presumably you have adjust the sights to take that into account. As the rifles normal operating range is around 1500m (guesstimate 3 second flight / 45 metre fall) then it seems to me not to make sense to have sights that will adjust to a 3500m shot as that would make it less accurate at 1500m.

Maybe they fit special super long distance scopes. I honestly don't know.

taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

lurcio wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:28 am I've never fired a sniper rifle but an object will fall almost 500 metres in 10 seconds due to gravity so presumably you have adjust the sights to take that into account. As the rifles normal operating range is around 1500m (guesstimate 3 second flight / 45 metre fall) then it seems to me not to make sense to have sights that will adjust to a 3500m shot as that would make it less accurate at 1500m.

Maybe they fit special super long distance scopes. I honestly don't know.

The latest models I've seen come equipped with a mini computer that handles all those variables. All the sniper has to do is keep the target in the crosshairs. No idea if the rifle used in this case was computer aided.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

lurcio wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:28 am I've never fired a sniper rifle but an object will fall almost 500 metres in 10 seconds due to gravity so presumably you have adjust the sights to take that into account. ]
Yes, you have to point it at the sky and aim at Allah. :bow: lol
Also, don't forget to aim to the left a bit, or you may just hit the wrong God.
For all those that think I'm wrong on this, ask yourself, what are the chances of him doing it again?
More Western bullshit propaganda. Raa!
lurcio
Expatriate
Guatemala

Post by lurcio »

Playing around with a Shooters Calc program and it came out that it would have to be about an 8.25 sec shot with the shot aimed at about 300m (a 10 degree elevation) over the targets head. http://www.shooterscalculator.com/balli ... t=647eb252

Not sure how the muzzle of the rifle doesn't block the scope view though???

(edit - should say 10 deg in the diagram - d'oh)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic