Kandal province in the news again

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Kandal province in the news again

Post by juansweetpotato »

You may remember an article about debt in Kandal province being at saturation level in certain communes. They also have to contend with members of the ruling CPP stealing their land in other ways.
It's getting harder and harder for me to see the CPP winning next year while they still let this stuff go on. Unless of course they disband the CNRP. But, will they risk going that far?

Kandal families allege official intimidation

http://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/kan ... timidation

"Soth Koemsoeun

Sixteen families in Kandal have accused a purported Interior Ministry official of sending soldiers to intimidate them to take their land, though the official denied the claims and said no such dispute existed at all.

Soy Chamroeun said soldiers on Wednesday descended on land belonging to her and others in Lvea Em district’s Prek Takov commune while they were protesting a land dispute with Bun Ravuth, who she described as a “senior” official at the Interior Ministry.

“Bun Ravuth often deploys armed forces to intimidate, destroy farmland, [and] pull out the crops and fences repeatedly . . . to make sure that we cannot live in peace,” Chamroeun said, describing Wednesday’s visit as only the latest attempt to scare them from the land.

However, Ravuth, who also said he worked at the Interior Ministry but declined to reveal his position, denied the accusations and said he had no claims to land there. “If you do not believe me, you can ask the local authorities. When I go, I will sue the woman,” he said.

Commune Chief Hun Huey said the land belongs to the villagers and that he was also not aware of Ravuth’s involvement in any dispute over the land.

Yeun Sokhun, another protester, said the land was given to the families by Prime Minister HE after 2008 after a dispute over it with a company named Sin Dai – but that the Kandal provincial government later sold the land to Ravuth, rekindling their problems.
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Kandal province in the news again

Post by StroppyChops »

It would be interesting to set up some discrete time lapse cameras...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:01 pm It would be interesting to set up some discrete time lapse cameras...
Focused on the soft title and hard title.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

juansweetpotato wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:46 pm You may remember an article about debt in Kandal province being at saturation level in certain communes. They also have to contend with members of the ruling CPP stealing their land in other ways.
It's getting harder and harder for me to see the CPP winning next year while they still let this stuff go on. Unless of course they disband the CNRP. But, will they risk going that far?

"Soth Koemsoeun

Sixteen families in Kandal have accused a purported Interior Ministry official of sending soldiers to intimidate them to take their land, though the official denied the claims and said no such dispute existed at all.

Soy Chamroeun said soldiers on Wednesday descended on land belonging to her and others in Lvea Em district’s Prek Takov commune while they were protesting a land dispute with Bun Ravuth, who she described as a “senior” official at the Interior Ministry.

“Bun Ravuth often deploys armed forces to intimidate, destroy farmland, [and] pull out the crops and fences repeatedly . . . to make sure that we cannot live in peace,” Chamroeun said, describing Wednesday’s visit as only the latest attempt to scare them from the land.

However, Ravuth, who also said he worked at the Interior Ministry but declined to reveal his position, denied the accusations and said he had no claims to land there. “If you do not believe me, you can ask the local authorities. When I go, I will sue the woman,” he said.

Commune Chief Hun Huey said the land belongs to the villagers and that he was also not aware of Ravuth’s involvement in any dispute over the land.

Yeun Sokhun, another protester, said the land was given to the families by Prime Minister HE after 2008 after a dispute over it with a company named Sin Dai – but that the Kandal provincial government later sold the land to Ravuth, rekindling their problems.
Although I agree with your observation I have a sad truth.

Those with the most guns get to write the rules. When HE makes a proclamation of "prepare your coffins'' That is not an idle threat. The tentacles reach far and wide. He will NEVER relinquish power no matter what an election says. HE has the power to cancel any results. World condemnation be damned. China still give ren.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Luigi wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:34 pm
juansweetpotato wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:46 pm You may remember an article about debt in Kandal province being at saturation level in certain communes. They also have to contend with members of the ruling CPP stealing their land in other ways.

"Soth Koemsoeun

Although I agree with your observation I have a sad truth.

Those with the most guns get to write the rules. When HE makes a proclamation of "prepare your coffins'' That is not an idle threat. The tentacles reach far and wide. He will NEVER relinquish power no matter what an election says. HE has the power to cancel any results. World condemnation be damned. China still give ren.
Yes, you're probably right even if the Chinese are enforcing tougher laws on foreign investment, Cambodia seems to be fairly immune to the changes according to an article in today's PPP. They say there is some effect though, but the lawyer in the article said she couldn't disclose the details. How much do you think FDI has on the resolution of the CPP?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic