Expat In Thailand Warns Us Of South African Scammer (Louis Baartman) Trying Sell Land To Foreigners in Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Expat In Thailand Warns Us Of South African Scammer (Louis Baartman) Trying Sell Land To Foreigners in Siem Reap

Post by General Mackevili »

Louis Baartman seems very well known for his Ponzi Scheme back in South Africa, and on the radar in Thailand as well. Now it sounds like he's trying to do the same thing in Cambodia.

From the Cambodia Scammers Facebook Page:

"Beware of this man, he is active in the Siem Reap area where he wants to sell land to foreigners.

He is back in Phuket now, but opened a page, Saffas in Siem Reap. As soon as things gets too hot for him on a page he changes the name, blocks a few persons and carries on under a new page name.
"

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Expat In Thailand Warns Us Of South African Scammer Trying Sell Land To Foreigners in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Post by juansweetpotato »

Hey, that looks to be a white guy. I wonder if he's a member of CEO?
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Expat In Thailand Warns Us Of South African Scammer (Louis Baartman) Trying Sell Land To Foreigners in Siem Reap

Oh, and most importantly, which explains Louis Baartman's scamming history, the video about him:

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Bushboy36
Tourist
South Africa

Re: Expat In Thailand Warns Us Of South African Scammer (Louis Baartman) Trying Sell Land To Foreigners in Siem Reap

Post by Bushboy36 »

He is busy working on a scheme to sell Hydroponic farming systems in Siem Reap. How many unsuspecting South Africans will fall for his scheme this time?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Bushboy36 wrote:He is busy working on a scheme to sell Hydroponic farming systems in Siem Reap. How many unsuspecting South Africans will fall for his scheme this time?
Why would he only target South Africans? Seems they would be most likely to know about his past. He should target a new community.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Ms Jaystar
Tourist
South Africa

Post by Ms Jaystar »

Before I came to Asia about fifteen years ago, I worked at Old Mutual as a helpdesk clerk. Part of our training was done by SAPS Fraud division because we were actively buying and selling shares for our clients. Thus, it was imperative to know what to look out for in a voice over the phone and in documentation. In February this man phoned me and said my friend, Stuart, who apparently was his friend too, had given him my number in Cambodia, This pompous sod could not keep the self-important, greedy, inflection out of his voice. I was on guard immediately. I phoned my friend, Stuart, and asked him who this was and why he had referred the man to me. Stuart, said the guy was a businessman and wanted a foot in the door in Cambodia and just needed me to tell him how to get a job here. I told Stuart I didn't like the tone of voice the man took with me. Just something in my gut said steer clear. I have always followed my gut about people, even though I am compelled to suffer some of them here for the sake of networking, there are times when I just know somebody is up to no good. Sometimes we have to put up with expats here who think they have power but there is a saying in Afrikaans, which I like to believe I live by: Ek maak nie 'n moordkuil van my hart nie. And when cee you en tees like this come along I am glad when they get what they deserve. Nico, thank you for posting this video, and if any of my friends see what I wrote here, I just want to tell you, I was right AGAIN.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

of coarse hes a scammer, hes not the real Bartman... this is the real Bartman!!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Being conned is just awful, you get labeled gullible and stupid, when all you did wrong was trust the wrong person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by obelisks »

rozzieoz wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:37 pm Being conned is just awful, you get labeled gullible and stupid, when all you did wrong was trust the wrong person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And it seems a lot of those gullible and stupid people happen to be in the southern hemisphere :facepalm:

Australians report losses of $300 million to scams in 2016

http://www.smh.com.au/business/consumer ... w2wpz.html
Bushboy36
Tourist
South Africa

Post by Bushboy36 »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:02 pm
Bushboy36 wrote:He is busy working on a scheme to sell Hydroponic farming systems in Siem Reap. How many unsuspecting South Africans will fall for his scheme this time?
Why would he only target South Africans? Seems they would be most likely to know about his past. He should target a new community.
Because he is advertising it on South African Facebook pages only and telling them half truths, making Cambodia out as heaven on earth, spreading lies about how cheap life is and how wonderful everything is when he knows better.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic