Symptoms of what disease(s)?0

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Symptoms of what disease(s)?0

Post by taabarang »

I read an article in the PPP about prisoners who showed these symptoms, "Twenty-four inmates in Kampong Speu’s provincial prison – where five prisoners escaped earlier this week – are reportedly experiencing a combination of respiratory difficulties, coughing, skin rashes and swollen legs."

Van someone who has medical knowledge possibly identify the disease? The swollen legs seemed a bit unusual.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Symptoms of what disease(s)?0

Post by juansweetpotato »

taabarang wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 am I read an article in the PPP about prisoners who showed these symptoms, "Twenty-four inmates in Kampong Speu’s provincial prison – where five prisoners escaped earlier this week – are reportedly experiencing a combination of respiratory difficulties, coughing, skin rashes and swollen legs."

Van someone who has medical knowledge possibly identify the disease? The swollen legs seemed a bit unusual.
I'm not sure, but it does sound like a case of escape or die. Let's not forget that some of these people have been imprisoned for protesting government​ ministers and their wives stealing their land at gun point.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Good points JSP, all well taken. However these symptoms were present in those still incarcerated. 24 to be exact. If it's contagious I never heard of it. Maybe they are all separate diseases.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

taabarang wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:36 am Good points JSP, all well taken. However these symptoms were present in those still incarcerated. 24 to be exact. If it's contagious I never heard of it. Maybe they are all separate diseases.
Actually, it sounds like TB. It would account for the lung problems and its asscociated kidney problem​s.
Kidney problems can cause the legs to swell. I guess the whole thing is beng hushed up, as the government​ don't want any humanitarian organisations to have access to their prisons.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

a combination of respiratory difficulties, coughing, skin rashes and swollen legs.
TB and other respiratory diseases spread easily in overcrowded conditions as do skin rashes which could be scabies/ ringworm. Swollen legs can simply be caused by standing/ sitting for too long and not exercising enough.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

juansweetpotato
Expatriate

They all sound possible. Can't an NGO carry out tests?
PS I haven't read the article yet.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

http://m.phnompenhpost.com/node/95500

I hope that does the job. My phone is on the rag.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic