Seeking a pharmaceutical - Xyrem?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Seeking a pharmaceutical - Xyrem?

Post by Kuroneko »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Ok SC, but you are asking us to help you find a drug which is not for you and is potentially lethal if not properly administered. People are asking questions. No need to get snarky with Roz.
I think that was a fair comment considering the danger of of this drug, and the potential for abuse. In addition to the fact that it has only recently been tested for safety on children.

The package leaflet (Information for the user Xyrem 500mg/mL oral solution Sodium oxybate) still states:Do not give this medicine to children and adolescents.

And the EMC site information for Xyrem states:

The safety and efficacy of sodium oxybate in children and adolescents aged 0-18 years has not been established. No data are available.http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicin ... l+solution

However it seems that a study in 2012 by Mansukhani MP1, Kotagal S. entitled Sodium oxybate in the treatment of childhood narcolepsy-cataplexy: a retrospective study. concluded:Sodium oxybate is effective in alleviating sleepiness and cataplexy in childhood onset narcolepsy-cataplexy. The therapeutic response was sustained over time, and without development of tolerance. Forty percent of the subjects experienced adverse effects.

Diagnosing narcolepsy is a little involved predominantly utalising polysomnography and a multiple sleep latency test. I do not know which hospitals here have a "sleep centre" and the requisite equipment, but I would think they would have to be one of the better ones. Whatever, it is surprising that they do not carry the requisite medications.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Okay, fair enough. And enough's enough.

I simply asked whether a particular pharmaceutical was available in Cambodia. I didn't ask to be judged by a group of people leaping to conclusions and/or demanding that I respond to their questions about my intentions. Frankly it's none of your business. But because I know how aggressive that particular group gets when their egos are challenged...

1. The kid was diagnosed by western-trained doctors in his home country as being narcoleptic and cataplexic.

2. The recommended treatment is not available in Cambodia, nor is the family legally able to bring it into the country.

3. I'm part of a wider discussion about how to help this kid, and in doing so am simply finding out what treatment is available, and what isn't, in Cambodia.

4. As it turns out I AM qualified and experienced to administer medications AND to provide after-care, but that's not relevant to my initial question and again, none of your business.

Quite simply, I asked a question and the vast majority of posters who didn't know the answer DIDN'T respond or get involved - and kudos to them for that, thanks.

Most who participated in this thread know nothing about the subject (that they couldn't quickly find with a Google search on the product names) and yet chose to get involved anyway, layering on their own uninformed assumptions when I wouldn't respond to their irrelevant questions. Those entitled few think it's their right to know the fine detail - but again, it's none of their business.

I won't be responding further to comments or questions on this thread, but do feel free to mock away as you typically do. Deduct karma, make snarky comments, whatever you need.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:18 pm Okay, fair enough. And enough's enough.

I simply asked whether a particular pharmaceutical was available in Cambodia. I didn't ask to be judged by a group of people leaping to conclusions and/or demanding that I respond to their questions about my intentions. Frankly it's none of your business. But because I know how aggressive that particular group gets when their egos are challenged...

1. The kid was diagnosed by western-trained doctors in his home country as being narcoleptic and cataplexic.

2. The recommended treatment is not available in Cambodia, nor is the family legally able to bring it into the country.

3. I'm part of a wider discussion about how to help this kid, and in doing so am simply finding out what treatment is available, and what isn't, in Cambodia.

4. As it turns out I AM qualified and experienced to administer medications AND to provide after-care, but that's not relevant to my initial question and again, none of your business.

Quite simply, I asked a question and the vast majority of posters who didn't know the answer DIDN'T respond or get involved - and kudos to them for that, thanks.

Most who participated in this thread know nothing about the subject (that they couldn't quickly find with a Google search on the product names) and yet chose to get involved anyway, layering on their own uninformed assumptions when I wouldn't respond to their irrelevant questions. Those entitled few think it's their right to know the fine detail - but again, it's none of their business.

I won't be responding further to comments or questions on this thread, but do feel free to mock away as you typically do. Deduct karma, make snarky comments, whatever you need.
I think generally people asked pertinent questions about your query I dont see why you're getting all defensive about "things " you dont need to. I think if you had posted youre query with the above information things might have been different.

I have been running medical services for well over 20 years and when possible I try to help but there were a few "alarm bells" that worried me.
1 AFAIK at the time Xyrem was not administered to children. However I now know things have changed. I was worried that some practitioner here may have made a spurious recommendation that you may have followed with adverse consequences. Your above extra information qualifies this.
2Having to be with a child at bedtime to administer medication and then wake them again a few hours later to administer a second dose puts you in a very "precarious" situation, which I assume you realise.
3 Of course you realise that Xylem is restricted partially because of its likelihood of "abuse"
Here I was answering an anonymous internet query. In what I wrote I was trying I was trying to give information on the question to the best of my ability while adhering to the concept of due care.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

is throwing'a'stroppy bunny throwing his carrots out the pram again? :popcorn: :roll:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic