City buses to expand to new routes

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

http://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/cit ... new-routes

"Phnom Penh’s city bus municipal public transit system will be adding five bus routes to its existing network in mid-July, City Hall spokesman Met Measpheakdey said yesterday.

According to Measpheakdey, the new lines will travel along Norodom Boulevard, Preah Monireth Boulevard and Hanoi Street, among other main thoroughfares in the capital. The plan, however, is still being discussed by experts from several institutions, including the Japan International Cooperation Agency.

“The plan to expand by five more public bus lines is expected to improve the public transport service for passengers, and it will contribute to the reduction of traffic congestion in Phnom Penh,” Measpheakdey said.

He added that talks of new routes started after the Chinese government pledged to donate 100 50-seat buses to the city. The buses are expected to arrive by mid-July.

Currently, 57 buses are transporting 6,000 to 7,000 passengers per day on three lines. Line 1 runs from Russey Keo district to Chbar Ampov district, Line 2 runs from the night market in Daun Penh district to Takhmao town in Kandal, and Line 3 runs from the night market to Choam Chao commune.

Measpheakdey noted that children, students, senior citizens and the disabled can take the bus for free.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: City buses to expand to new routes

Post by Duncan »

There are often up to ten buses parked at the riverside depot and another ten parked at the gas refuel place at Chbov Ampov. Where are all the new buses going to park ? There is no room left on the roads for any Lexus and Toyota Tundras , let alone another 100 buses

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Duncan wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:37 pm There are often up to ten buses parked at the riverside depot and another ten parked at the gas refuel place at Chbov Ampov. Where are all the new buses going to park ? There is no room left on the roads for any Lexus and Toyota Tundras , let alone another 100 buses

I don't know about all that, but I am impressed with the pavement and the tidy parking. Is that K L?
It seems like I haven't​ seen an open space like that since I left SNV. Especially one so clean and well kempt.
I suppose they are ok if you leave for work three hours before you need to get there. There is definitely no point in trying bus lanes here.
Perhaps they can park them outside the PM's house in Takmau.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

juansweetpotato wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:14 pm
Measpheakdey noted that children, students, senior citizens and the disabled can take the bus for free.[/b]
Socially, the above statement is great news. But, financially, I'm not sure. A lot of bus users must fall into these categories. Who is paying for them ? Don't tell me it's the city tax services redistributing wealth to provide services for the disadvantaged ? :shock:
Oh, and they forgot the unemployed (and the poor.)

But that's a detail. I'm not knocking the idea of a viable public transport system in PP. Needs to be done. And as the transport system becomes more extensive, it becomes more viable for users. All good.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:53 pm
juansweetpotato wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:14 pm
Measpheakdey noted that children, students, senior citizens and the disabled can take the bus for free.[/b]
Socially, the above statement is great news. But, financially, I'm not sure. A lot of bus users must fall into these categories. Who is paying for them ? Don't tell me it's the city tax services redistributing wealth to provide services for the disadvantaged ? :shock:
Oh, and they forgot the unemployed (and the poor.)
Lol
But that's a detail. I'm not knocking the idea of a viable public transport system in PP. Needs to be done. And as the transport system becomes more extensive, it becomes more viable for users. All good.
Not without bus lanes it doesn't. Afaic, it seems to render the whole idea as fairly useless for people using them to get to and from work.
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Perhaps they can park them outside the PM's house in Takmau.

Well that idea will not work. Where would they move all the tanks , rocket launchers and helicopters to.

Ha Ha,,,, I always travel free . I save 1500 r every time. My biggest problem is when the girl asks for the money and gives me the ticket,,, is do I tell her I'm over seventy,,, Or do I pay the 1500 r and tell her I'm the same age as her , she is very beautiful and should come and live with me .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Duncan wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:04 pm Perhaps they can park them outside the PM's house in Takmau.

Well that idea will not work. Where would they move all the tanks , rocket launchers and helicopters to.

Ha Ha,,,, I always travel free . I save 1500 r every time. My biggest problem is when the girl asks for the money and gives me the ticket,,, is do I tell her I'm over seventy,,, Or do I pay the 1500 r and tell her I'm the same age as her , she is very beautiful and should come and live with me .
1500R may seem cheap to some, but not if you're on $80 pm it isn't. I ride all over the place each week and it only costs me just over 8000R.
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Technically as state vehicles the buses have right of way, and a driver tested this with me (on a moto) on Russian Boulevard when he physically edged the bus into me, from behind, in a traffic jam. I rolled forward as much as the traffic allowed, and he nudged into me again. So I swung backward and punched the windscreen of the bus, and stood and yelled a few choice proverbs at him to back off, which sort of stunned him. Not a lot though, as once traffic was rolling again he managed to get around me, and tried to slam me into a construction wall where they're building the new bridge. An Aussie mate was riding with me at the time, who fortunately kept me from being unreasonable.

Around 15 minutes later another knob deliberately cut me off in his Tico heading into the roundabout at Japanese Bridge, and suddenly found he needed a new rear light bracket. I was (almost) as surprised as he was. He slowed down and suggested we discuss the matter further like men, but then gunned it for home when I pulled over for the tentatively-booked meeting.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:59 pm I swung backward and punched the windscreen of the bus, and stood and yelled a few choice proverbs at him to back off, which sort of stunned him. Not a lot though, as once traffic was rolling again he managed to get around me, and tried to slam me into a construction wall where they're building the new bridge. An Aussie mate was riding with me at the time, who fortunately kept me from being unreasonable.

Around 15 minutes later another knob deliberately cut me off in his Tico heading into the roundabout at Japanese Bridge, and suddenly found he needed a new rear light bracket. I was (almost) as surprised as he was. He slowed down and suggested we discuss the matter further like men, but then gunned it for home when I pulled over for the tentatively-booked meeting.
Living up to your name there, stroppy.... :D :shock:
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:14 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:59 pm I swung backward and punched the windscreen of the bus, and stood and yelled a few choice proverbs at him to back off, which sort of stunned him. Not a lot though, as once traffic was rolling again he managed to get around me, and tried to slam me into a construction wall where they're building the new bridge. An Aussie mate was riding with me at the time, who fortunately kept me from being unreasonable.

Living up to your name there, stroppy.... :D :shock:
My Aussie mate is more of a pacifist than Ghandi, and he was reaching up to punch the bus window seconds before I got there. By the time of the second incident, he was parking his moto up too! Cambodia challenges his non-violence ethos.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic