Snookie Sucks... so far

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Snookie Sucks... so far

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Arrived last Wednesday and got settled in to my 'Deluxe Suite Room' at Harbor Lights Palace Hotel on Victory Hill... which is (mostly) as advertised. To be fair, it has it's good points - like the fast, strong wi-fi, two fridges, decent pool and huge balcony with a great view.

However, the room was filthy because (obviously) no one had stayed in it for several months; and, while it had been cleaned and 'set up' after the last guest left, dust, dead insects and gecko shit had accumulated... everywhere! Some moron had been working on the air con unit in the living room/kitchen and not cleaned up after doing the job - left little bits of plastic electrical wire insulation and black, 'tarry' sealer all over the counters... a FUCKIN" PIG STY! The bedroom air con unit will circulate air but not cool it. I 'cleaned up' (destroying a bathmat in the process) and decided not to complain. To have housekeeping do your room you have to leave your key at the Reception Office. This is fine, except for the fact Reception is rarely 'manned'; and when it is, it seems to be by some clueless Khmer kid who is not in the office, but lounging outside playing with his phone.

The French owner (Oliver) defers questions as to why the room amenities are not as advertised on the booking site - Agoda - to the Belgian manager (Bernard) who is not available because "He's sleeping". Both seen to spend their days drinking beer and Pastis at the bar/restaurant/pool area with friends/customers? who are stupid enough to pay $18.00 for a hamburger (I'm not kidding). When you try to get your key back after going out, there's a 50/50 chance you will be given the key to someone else's room.

I'm not a popular guest... because when I came home last night there was a lot of yelling/screaming and slamming doors (at 3:00 AM) when, at first, I couldn't get my key. When I did finally got into the room, it was 110 degrees F... because housekeeping had turned off the air con (I assume they are trained to because electricity costs money) and hidden the control. The fuckin' lazy cunt manager refused to do anything when I woke him up... saying "It could be anywhere". It was nasty. :pardon:

More later about the: crazy 70-something American hippie ex-pats who (wrongly) argue with Khmer restaurant owners over $1.25 for a fruit shake, fried rice (made to their exact specifications) and tea (one bag, TWO mugs of hot water), stoned-out-of-their-mind Europeans and pickled, loud-mouthed Aussie ex-pats who populate the 'Hill'... along with the tweaking Khmers strung out on 'ice'. No matter... they are all being displaced by the Chinese.

Jesus H. Christ!
:facepalm:
You could be next.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Re: Snookie Sucks... so far

Post by AE86 »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:03 pm When I did finally got into the room, it was 110 degrees F... because housekeeping had turned off the air con (I assume they are trained to because electricity costs money)...
That's normal. Most hotels have power shutoffs when you leave the room. Makes it somewhat aggravating if you're trying use the fridge to keep leftovers or some water cold for when you get back.
-insert signature here
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

AE86 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:07 pm
Cruisemonkey wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:03 pm When I did finally got into the room, it was 110 degrees F... because housekeeping had turned off the air con (I assume they are trained to because electricity costs money)...
That's normal. Most hotels have power shutoffs when you leave the room. Makes it somewhat aggravating if you're trying use the fridge to keep leftovers or some water cold for when you get back.
Halfway decent hotel will have the fridge on a separate circuit.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i stayed there 1 night,
great view, nice building, dirty and uncaring staff and management.
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:03 pm Arrived last Wednesday and got settled in to my 'Deluxe Suite Room' at Harbor Lights Palace Hotel on Victory Hill... which is (mostly) as advertised. To be fair, it has it's good points - like the fast, strong wi-fi, two fridges, decent pool and huge balcony with a great view.

However, the room was filthy because (obviously) no one had stayed in it for several months; and, while it had been cleaned and 'set up' after the last guest left, dust, dead insects and gecko shit had accumulated... everywhere! Some moron had been working on the air con unit in the living room/kitchen and not cleaned up after doing the job - left little bits of plastic electrical wire insulation and black, 'tarry' sealer all over the counters... a FUCKIN" PIG STY! The bedroom air con unit will circulate air but not cool it. I 'cleaned up' (destroying a bathmat in the process) and decided not to complain. To have housekeeping do your room you have to leave your key at the Reception Office. This is fine, except for the fact Reception is rarely 'manned'; and when it is, it seems to be by some clueless Khmer kid who is not in the office, but lounging outside playing with his phone.

The French owner (Oliver) defers questions as to why the room amenities are not as advertised on the booking site - Agoda - to the Belgian manager (Bernard) who is not available because "He's sleeping". Both seen to spend their days drinking beer and Pastis at the bar/restaurant/pool area with friends/customers? who are stupid enough to pay $18.00 for a hamburger (I'm not kidding). When you try to get your key back after going out, there's a 50/50 chance you will be given the key to someone else's room.

I'm not a popular guest... because when I came home last night there was a lot of yelling/screaming and slamming doors (at 3:00 AM) when, at first, I couldn't get my key. When I did finally got into the room, it was 110 degrees F... because housekeeping had turned off the air con (I assume they are trained to because electricity costs money) and hidden the control. The fuckin' lazy cunt manager refused to do anything when I woke him up... saying "It could be anywhere". It was nasty. :pardon:

More later about the: crazy 70-something American hippie ex-pats who (wrongly) argue with Khmer restaurant owners over $1.25 for a fruit shake, fried rice (made to their exact specifications) and tea (one bag, TWO mugs of hot water), stoned-out-of-their-mind Europeans and pickled, loud-mouthed Aussie ex-pats who populate the 'Hill'... along with the tweaking Khmers strung out on 'ice'. No matter... they are all being displaced by the Chinese.

Jesus H. Christ!
:facepalm:
Hahahaha I love this guy........

Hey goto mojo bar, lots of cool Khmer girls.

Dragon fly is good too, the girls there all know Jamie Lambo.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

hanno wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:14 pm
AE86 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:07 pm
Halfway decent hotel will have the fridge on a separate circuit.
That's good to know. I've always tried to go "mid range" for prices to avoid stuff like that, but I've never had a fridge on a separate power circuit, up to $25 a night here. Then again I've not stayed at many hotels either.
-insert signature here
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Should this thread be more accurately named about the hotel? Hows your experience been in snooky (out of the hotel)?

មានទឹកមានត្រីមានលុយមានស្រី
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

C'mon be fair. Vic Hill is not Snookie in general. Its always been a little "special". :rave:

Is your hotel the place that used to be called Golden Rooster ?
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

frank lee bent wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:15 pm i stayed there 1 night,
great view, nice building, dirty and uncaring staff and management.

Yes, it could be a great place... but you can't successfully own or manage a business when you spend all day drinking.

I can leave the (one 'working') air con unit on if I go out - there is no automatic 'shut off'... magnetic key card or otherwise. However, if I want the room cleaned, I have to leave the room key at Reception. The Housekeeping girls come in, do their job and turn off the air con when they leave. Last night when I came home, couldn't find the controller to turn the air con back on. I found it this morning in the kitchen... under the counter... where Housekeeping had accidentally (I assume) knocked/misplaced it.

Last night I was a very hot, unhappy camper.
You could be next.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

you are still there?
give him a recommendation Jamie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic