Voltage stabiliser

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Voltage stabiliser

Post by vladimir »

Where to buy? Cost?

Only need to run a large fridge off it...

Thanks in advance.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Voltage stabiliser

Post by StroppyChops »

Following on from our previous conversation on this, Vlad, I'm told by Bong Pong the Qualified Electrician that the voltage in this area is 180v, not 240v, which is a contributing factor. By default, properties in BT get a shared and limited line. Our landlord had to pay $600 for an upgrade to maximum available power (three lines) for the homestay, otherwise we'd only be able to run one a/c or one hws with the fridges.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I bought a Sharp ,, fridge /freeze about one month ago,, which has a sticker on the door saying, ,, Wide Range Voltage. 113v---260 v.

Not too sure of the exact numbers as I'm not at home where that fridge is.,,, I would assume that means it would not need a Voltage Stabilizer.

But thats not the reason I bought a Sharp fridge, It's the only one I could find that has a key lock on it to stop the kids pinching my favorite ice-cream.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Duncan wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:56 pm I bought a Sharp ,, fridge /freeze about one month ago,, which has a sticker on the door saying, ,, Wide Range Voltage. 113v---260 v.

Not too sure of the exact numbers as I'm not at home where that fridge is.,,, I would assume that means it would not need a Voltage Stabilizer.

But thats not the reason I bought a Sharp fridge, It's the only one I could find that has a key lock on it to stop the kids pinching my favorite ice-cream.
The problem is running a number of high-drain appliances at once tripping the house out, Duncan. Vlad's fridge is a a single voltage unit, and his town power supply is insufficient to use it with another device.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Can't vlad just turn off the TV when he's using the fridge?
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:52 pm Following on from our previous conversation on this, Vlad, I'm told by Bong Pong the Qualified Electrician that the voltage in this area is 180v, not 240v, which is a contributing factor. By default, properties in BT get a shared and limited line. Our landlord had to pay $600 for an upgrade to maximum available power (three lines) for the homestay, otherwise we'd only be able to run one a/c or one hws with the fridges.
My previous place...no problems...also in BT

Maybe I'll ask the guy I spoke to to come and have a look, very smart guy, good English.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

vladimir wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:24 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:52 pm Following on from our previous conversation on this, Vlad, I'm told by Bong Pong the Qualified Electrician that the voltage in this area is 180v, not 240v, which is a contributing factor. By default, properties in BT get a shared and limited line. Our landlord had to pay $600 for an upgrade to maximum available power (three lines) for the homestay, otherwise we'd only be able to run one a/c or one hws with the fridges.
My previous place...no problems...also in BT

Maybe I'll ask the guy I spoke to to come and have a look, very smart guy, good English.
You won't believe it unless you go an see it for yourself, but the street behind and parallel to ours (nearer the slum area) has had the power lines stripped out, new poles put in, and a small number of heavy duty lines installed. Let's hope they do our streets next.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Unless I'm wrong, I suppose you could get one of those plug in boxes (1kw probably sufficient) that you wire to the mains and can plug the icebox directly into that. I can't remember the prices though, but I want to say PP Electrical supply has the 1Kw Chinese units for $40 or so. It's what I had to do for our old food place where voltage was constantly dropping to the 150-160 range. That is of course, if the voltage is the main problem.

-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AE86 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:28 pm Unless I'm wrong, I suppose you could get one of those plug in boxes (1kw probably sufficient) that you wire to the mains and can plug the icebox directly into that. I can't remember the prices though, but I want to say PP Electrical supply has the 1Kw Chinese units for $40 or so. It's what I had to do for our old food place where voltage was constantly dropping to the 150-160 range. That is of course, if the voltage is the main problem.

Is that just another form of UPS?

Edit: I wonder if one of these would be better than a UPS?

Edit 2: Answering my own question, no - it's not another form of UPS, no significant battery.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:30 pm
Spoiler:
AE86 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:28 pm Unless I'm wrong, I suppose you could get one of those plug in boxes (1kw probably sufficient) that you wire to the mains and can plug the icebox directly into that. I can't remember the prices though, but I want to say PP Electrical supply has the 1Kw Chinese units for $40 or so. It's what I had to do for our old food place where voltage was constantly dropping to the 150-160 range. That is of course, if the voltage is the main problem.

Is that just another form of UPS?

Edit: I wonder if one of these would be better than a UPS?

Edit 2: Answering my own question, no - it's not another form of UPS, no significant battery.
Following up, AE86, given the dirty power in PP, do you think a voltage stabilizer in behind a UPS would protect the UPS significantly enough to be worth it?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic