I want Mexican Food or Tex-Mex in Phnom Penh

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: I want Mexican Food or Tex-Mex in PP

Post by frank lee bent »

i think Mark has a partner in the renamed Kokopelli
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

2 recent Mexican restaurant additions to PP, both in TTP...

1. Agave Cocina
#38, St. 426
I would say this is the most authentic Mexican/Tex-Mex restaurant in PP, but I'm no expert, just my opinion.

2. Dos Besos
#33, St.123
Newly opened, owned by Jay Miller of Alchemy and formerly Brooklyn. Haven't tried this place out yet so can't comment.

I don't rate Alma, they only do 1-2 dishes a day (they don't have a regular menu), these change daily (unless this has changed recently).
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

The 1 or 2 dishes at Alma has it's appeal as I would think that is better than trying to produce 8-10 dishes.
EVERY place I have ever been that has a menu the size of a novel never ever has that distinct quality of a house just doing a couple different dishes a day or every other day. For me that would be a positive.

Thanks for the input. Prolly just make one Mex resto this trip.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: I've never seen tortillas for sale anywhere. FYI.
Kebab shop, Otres village, Sihanoukville : turkish flat bread (lavaş or tortilla wrap) 30cm 30 cent available anytime any amount just pm
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Luigi wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:06 pm The 1 or 2 dishes at Alma has it's appeal as I would think that is better than trying to produce 8-10 dishes.
EVERY place I have ever been that has a menu the size of a novel never ever has that distinct quality of a house just doing a couple different dishes a day or every other day. For me that would be a positive.
I agree...if the 1 or 2 dishes are done extremely well, however I haven't found that to be the case at Alma.

With regards to restaurants with Novel sized menus, usually best avoided in my experience as the quality of all those dishes are normally well below average, unless you've got a great kitchen team. Too many places in Cambodia try to cater to everyone and their food is usually shit.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Corn tortillas shit all over flour ones, through their tiny tortilla arseholes. There's corn, maize, grown here so why you can't get milled corn is a mystery to me. You can get them frozen by the hundred. Not really practical for home consumption
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

phuketrichard wrote:did alley cat close or was it sold??
Alley car changed it's name to tacos kokopelli for tax reasons but is still the same as before.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

cptrelentless wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:44 pm Corn tortillas shit all over flour ones, through their tiny tortilla arseholes. There's corn, maize, grown here so why you can't get milled corn is a mystery to me. You can get them frozen by the hundred. Not really practical for home consumption
I would give that a go. have you seen frozen corn totillas in shv
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

it is not just milled, it is nixtamalized by removing the husk with cal- an alkaline solution. this produces hominy which has had it's proteins changed- makes it more digestible= the hominy is milled wet to make masa- literally "dough" when that masa is dried and ground again- it becomes masa harina- flour. but the fresh masa is best for tortilla by far.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

frank lee bent wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:45 pm it is not just milled, it is nixtamalized by removing the husk with cal- an alkaline solution. this produces hominy which has had it's proteins changed- makes it more digestible= the hominy is milled wet to make masa- literally "dough" when that masa is dried and ground again- it becomes masa harina- flour. but the fresh masa is best for tortilla by far.
I thought I was reading an Orange Dragon post there, had to double check who posted it :stir: :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic