Immigration Police Making The Rounds in Phnom Penh, Asking Barangs For Big Money

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Immigration Police Making The Rounds in Phnom Penh, Asking Barangs For Big Money

Post by General Mackevili »

Lock your doors, a report of Cambodian Police going to around to an expat's home, demanding $130 because their on the wrong visa. Daily occurrence, I'd imagine:

Quotes:
Spoiler:
Has anybody had an experience like this?

Three cops came to my house on Tuesday. I was at work but my housemate was there. They claimed they were immigration police. They filled out some form. They took pictures of our passports and our lease.

They claimed my friend had the wrong visa (he has an ordinary E visa) because he wasn't working. They also asked for money, sometimes saying $120, $125, or $130.

We got our landlord to talk with them and he gave them like $20. But right after they left, they called my friend to ask for money again.

I haven't heard from them since, but I am concerned that this will be a monthly shakedown.

Kevin Bahler, your friend needs to check his visa extension. If it starts with the letters "EB" - that's a business visa extension and he needs a work permit to remain in Cambodia on this visa.
If he holds an "EB" visa extension and he doesn't have a work permit, then yes, you might get regular visits from now on. In this case, it doesn't matter if he actually works, as he is expected to work as part of his visa requirements. He will still need a work permit.

If he doesn't qualify for any other visa extensions, like the retirement extension of stay for example, there is little else he can do.

He is not currently working. There are no new visas to cover this - only new extensions of stay. So entering the country he would only have choice between tourist and ordinary visas, and it is the latter he has

They are not even immigration police

Well expat workers have to be registered with the Ministry of Labor - this also requires a yearly health check at the Ministry. Since this year, registered workers receive a work permit which is a credit sized ID card. It has been predicted that this year, unannounced checks by the police could follow where they want to see if expats with a business visa have this work permit.

Jamie Alister how do you know they're not immigration police? Should I go to the anti corruption unit?

Yes, happens every six months to us because we have a homestay. They Passports and visas. Last time they tried to bring the Sangkat police into the house with them, we refused and said only immigration. All very civil.

Also helps if you ask for their badge numbers, phone numbers and their bosses phone number.

I think I'll be fine. I have big enough connections that I think it would scare them with a couple phone calls. But anything to hold people accountable in Cambodia tends to scare them away long term. Smart move though.

Advice....remove this pic. They might not like it and come over for another cup of tea.

my family got this problem one time, 7 police came to my home with gun,ask for money but lucky the owner of my apartment is police man( high level ) comeback then they gone with some stuff ( speaker, page ,my husband gave them) From that day we never meet them again since 5 years. So this is some group they trying to make money, it is corruption, you should tell them that give you the address of their office you will come there.

We had them.come to the house we were sub letting last year. They wanted money from us. Our friend came round who speaks fluent Khmer and they left with a few dollars tonget petrol
We were told they were probably not even immigration police. They said they would come back but never did.

When I first came to Cambodia, the Sangkat police came to my house and wanted copies of my passport and visa. They didn't demand any money, but said that they wanted to register when a foreigner was living in their area. They gave us their phone numbers and asked if there was ever a problem to give them a call. This wasn't in PP, this was in Takhmao at the time. I was actually happy to have them come, once I completely understood why. At first, scared the life out of me.

No worries Kevin. When they called Jim back, I took the phone, telling them I was recording the conversation as they were asking him to "help the police". I asked how much money that meant and they immediately shut the conversation down. Low rank scammers, but to be reported to the anti-corruption unit for sure, especially as you know their usual working spot.

A must report to anti-corruption.....I usually tell them 'yes I definitely want to help and to do the right thing, now I just need your name, badge or ID number, a business card from your office and a receipt on official letter head and I'm happy to pay whatever is required".

Immigration police show up in a vehicle that says just that, immigration. Nothing can really be done with out actual proof such as video with the conversation and money exchange or them demanding the money. Your word against theirs and theirs is what counts sadly. You get iron clad proof and I can get something done about, putting it to an end. But only if inside phnom penh.

They do this alot to African expats living here. They extort shit loads of money from them by becoming very nasty and threatening to arrest them even though they have valid visas.

To be fair, ive also met alot of white western people here that are into shady businesses too. Including sleeping with underage kids, found with dead prostitutes in guesthouses, drug trafficking, shoot outs on the streets in sihanoukville etc. So....am not sure what your point is.

And he deleted his comment...obviously..

Seriously I dont know why anyone tries to row with Iain Donnelly online.
1. He will 9/10 times be funnier than you
2. Despite being a jock he knows more about how to use English than you can ever dream.
3. He's usually annoyingly always right
4. He's tenacious and when hes right (see point 3) he will either toy with you like a cat with a mouse (as above) or destroy you he will never STOP.
So anyway TL:DR if Iain schools you walk away he's right. He knows a lot. Apart from how to get sausages in Kampot

Just scammers. Take their picture and ask for their id. Then record a video with them and ask how much they want and for what purpose.

Local Sangkat or District offices are required by law to keep a file on every foreigner in that said district. Go to the District office and speak to the Chief. This much I know but not sure about the visa thing. Image

You can share that news to newspaper pages which will public very large in country, but to make sure what they checking for and find out the exactly they wants, or someone complain to them about you and your friends.

It doesn t matter if you have a job or not. Everything else than a tourist visa will be treated as a business visa. For that you need a work permit now. No matter if these guys are scammers you will have problems ( you have to pay work permission fees for all non tourist visa stay periods ) latest when you want to start a job.

Since my organization can not get registered (Education related) I wtill have no WP, my husband stays at home and looks after the kids, we now extend our visa 3 months at a time, more expensive but have been told only the 6 month and 1 year EOS require WP.

Got a one year extension on my last visa, no problem. I'm always surprised when I hear people having problems. But I've come to expect double, triple, and other shady standards as par for the course here. Without much recourse, it's often the price we pay for being able to live here as we do. Kingdom of Smiles . . . and endemic corruption.

Antti Rantanen Yes they extended at immigration opposite of PP airpot. My formemr employer adviced me to keep a copy of the WP at all times. This year they have changed the WP to a small card so maybe you are supposed to carry t arround now?

Wow, apparently it's much cheaper when they visit in Sihanoukville. Then again, I have a Khmer fiance and we live together with her mom. I was super polite and offered them $ because it's too hot to work in uniforms like that and they deserved some cold drinks after work. 5-10 a piece as a gift and they walked away happy as clams, over 4 months ago.

On a much more positive note. I had a moto crash last week (someone went in the back of me then demanded money to repair his moto). After much arguing with him and the police - they told him to do one. I gave the police man a reward for being honest and making the right decision.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Ronny
BANNED

Re: Immigration Police Making The Rounds in Phnom Penh, Asking Barangs For Big Money

Post by Ronny »

Can you elaborate more, General? DID he have the wrong visa? And if he did, why doesn't he clear it up so he won't be pestered by these immigration officials? But yeah, to me it sounds like they are checking for any infraction so they can make some $$$. Kinda like a money grab...
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Immigration Police Making The Rounds in Phnom Penh, Asking Barangs For Big Money

Post by StroppyChops »

We had a PM conversation with Kevin about this. The going rate is $15-20 per visit total (not each person), not more than once every six months. If they appear more often than that, make a show of writing down their name, ID number, and get their name - actually, do this anyway. Don't try to take their photo. Always remember that they DO have the right to access your property, although if the time is not convenient or you need to hide some ... err... herbs, you can ask them to come back at another time. If they try to bring the street cop from the corner with them, he's just looking for a slice of pie - refuse him entry, and tell the Immigration copper it's an immigration matter, not a local police matter. Stand your ground on this point, or you'll be paying lots of tea money for a long time. If they say you have the wrong visa type, tell them you will go to the immigration office tomorrow to get the right one, and make a show of asking again for their phone number so the Immigration Department can "call them for more information." Naturally, this is all bluff. You are actually not required to give them cash at all, even if they are threatening to have you arrested.

Threats of arrest are quickly followed by "I didn't have you arrested, I did you a favour. Now maybe you do me a favour." It's that blatant. If you're prepared to call their bluff and say "have me arrested if you think you're right, my lawyer will meet us at your office, but give me your name and number again before we go" - they'll back right down. Every time. Unless you're a person of colour.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
eriksank
Expatriate

Post by eriksank »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:06 pmDon't try to take their photo.
Why not? What are they going to do about it anyway? All that could happen, is that their misguided reaction ends up in the newspapers ... with a photo. You can always safely seek to trigger a Streisand effect.

The Streisand effect is the phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the Internet. It is an example of psychological reactance, wherein once people are aware something is being kept from them, their motivation to access and spread the information is increased.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Tell them to fuck off.

Take their picture.

But have photocopies of your visa and personal details page on hand, tell them your work has these, if they give the address of their office, and their names, you can bring them in.

I had some cunt coming to my last home asking for my WP. I asked for his name, he refused yo tell me.I took a picture, he asked me why.

I told him I was going to MoL the next day, and I could meet his supervisor to give them the documents.

Never saw him again, I suspect he rented the uniform.

I suspect the OPs guy also rented the uniform or is trying a scam his supervisor doesn't know about.

Get details.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

In SHV we have a Barang friendly immigration cop (unless he's transfered to another dept) named Nop Sambo. Seems a decent bloke!
He's previously announced in FB pages to contact him if there is any wrongdoing such as this. Not sure how he could help in PP but worth a try.
https://www.facebook.com/Nop.Sambo.9
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

In 7 years I've not had a single immigration visit. I wouldn't let them anywhere near my front door tbh. Landlords have always dealt with them by providing copies of my passport and lease, as is their obligation, and I've never paid a cent.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

We have had immigration accompanied by Phnom Penh police in Koh Kong, over work permits. The fine for not having the WP alongside the business visa. The fines have been $125.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

eriksank wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:19 pm All that could happen, is that their misguided reaction ends up in the newspapers ... with a photo. You can always safely seek to trigger a Streisand effect.

The Streisand effect is the phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the Internet. It is an example of psychological reactance, wherein once people are aware something is being kept from them, their motivation to access and spread the information is increased.
No no no no, very bad idea. You make an officer lose face, you're going down regardless of guilt.

You have to tread lightly with these kind of people unless you absolutely have the higher authority on your side. You can make small talk with them, give them a round about story about how you're going to go to immigration tomorrow, tell them you'll call them back, or maybe give them a case of beer and smile, letting them know that you know, but no hard feelings, but DO NOT whatever you do, try and expose them for what they are. You will be so fucked if you try and expose a dirty cop here and seek justice.
-insert signature here
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

" You will be so fucked if you try and expose a dirty cop here and seek justice."

Correct, if you expose one you expose the whole system.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic