Yamaha YBR 125, currently being overhauled, $1,000

Have a car, truck, motorcycle, or bicycle you'd like to sell? List it here for free. Heck, you can even buy and sell tuktuks or your pink Scoopy here. Remember, you need a driver's license in Cambodia for cars, trucks, and any motorbike that's over 125cc. And always wear a helmet!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Yamaha YBR 125, currently being overhauled, $1,000

Post by AE86 »

Hi all,

Engine currently undergoing an overhaul. Waiting for the top end kit to arrive from the U.K.

Original ad here (see for more pictures): https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/cars-mo ... ybr%20125

Reason I'm starting a new thread is because the bike is being rebuilt now. I didn't like the gearbox whine in 5th gear, so I decided to tear into and rebuilt the motor from the ground up rather than sell a "97% new" bike.

When the bike is finished, the entire engine will have been reworked. This means the following:

Rebuilt transmission (new gearbox bearings)
Rebuilt balance shaft
Bottom end rebuild (crankshaft/main bearings replaced)
Top end rebuild (piston, cam chain, etc.)
Rebuilt clutch

Parts used are mainly from Thailand except for the piston (imported from the U.K.), and the clutch disks (Yamaha OEM).

As mentioned in the previous ad, carburetor has already been rebuilt and jetting for Cambodia, new tyre, chain/sprockets, battery, tach/gauge lights, and misc small things replaced.

Excellent "big" bike for Cambodia because it's very light (same weight as my Wave 125), and doubly nice because it's legal with a simple car licence vs. other big bikes of larger displacement.

I would keep it but I seriously need the space.

Price $1,000 ono, but please be reasonable in offers.

Thank you
AE86
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Yamaha YBR 125, currently being overhauled, $1,000

Post by StroppyChops »

What I really like about your bike sale posts, AE86, is that you post "Engine all new inside - see?" That's awesome.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Very easy for liars or idiots to say "machine good, 99%", much harder for liars or idiots to prove it.
-insert signature here
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

AE, is your 5th gear stripped or has one of the teeth broken off? Why don't you just look for a good used 5th gear for this model, repair your transmission, and be done with it? And as for bearings, where did you buy those from? Getting used bearings that are still in good shape is a lot cheaper and a lot easier to find. I NEVER buy new bearings when I repair a transmission at my shop because good quality used bearings are all over the place. Are you sure you really know what you're doing?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Are you sure you really know what you're doing?"

Ronni Ronnie, if there's one man on this forum who knows his business inside out it's this poster. Stick around a while.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Ronny wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:25 pm AE, is your 5th gear stripped or has one of the teeth broken off? Why don't you just look for a good used 5th gear for this model, repair your transmission, and be done with it? And as for bearings, where did you buy those from? Getting used bearings that are still in good shape is a lot cheaper and a lot easier to find. I NEVER buy new bearings when I repair a transmission at my shop because good quality used bearings are all over the place. Are you sure you really know what you're doing?
Do you live in Cambodia? I'm asking genuinely here, but I suspect you don't because the idea of looking for another 5th gear over here is simply out of the question, and the same goes for used bearings. Almost nothing used/second hand in Cambodia is good quality, hence the abysmal resale value of bikes here.

But anyway, what do you mean be stripped? If you mean the cogs/receiver then no, those were fine and there were no broken teeth either. 5th gear was worn a bit more than others but still within wear limits in terms of backlash. The noise was because of the pinion shaft bearing, the one closest to the pinion on the output shaft, not the gear itself. 2nd gear also whined a little but virtually no wear.

Bearings I had to source from different makers. The balance shaft bearings (6202 open cage) and input shaft bearings were from NSK (Yamaha OEM manufacturer), the output shaft bearings one from NSK and one from Nachi or NTN (I can't remember off the top of my head), and the crank bearings from UKS, an aftermarket company, supposedly from Thailand. Can't confirm, but an informal spark test on a sacrificial test bearing netted similar results to the original, so it seems to have been hardned correctly.

Truth be told, I'm told the bearings are from Thailand, I can't confirm. They might be knockoffs, but what I do know that I've used these bearings for many of my rebuilds and they hold up together very well, some motors going over 5 years so far so I'm convinced they're alright. Best I can do in this country without ordering directly from Japan and waiting a month or two, only to find the package gets opened by the post and the contents disappear.
-insert signature here
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

No, AE, I live in Thailand.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

What can I say, AE? Bearings are all over the place here in Thailand and are cheap as dirt. But to be honest, I want to say what the fuck? If you can't find used parts for a simple motorcycle and have to IMPORT a gear then is it really worth having a bike at all? And I cringe to think that, if I buy a used car over there, how hard it would be to find parts when something needs to be replaced. In Thailand we have industrial areas all over the country that only sell automotive parts but in Cambodia you don't? And "stripped" is just a word that I use and it means that at least 2 teeth have broken off your gear piece as to make it impossible to use. Sorry for the poor wording.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Ronny wrote:No, AE, I live in Thailand.
That makes sense. And what you're saying is what I often do in Japan (where I'm from). I almost never buy new parts (bearings are cheap enough compared to wages, so I buy those), but gearsets, cranks, clutch baskets etc I almost always buy used unless I'm piecing together a custom build.
Ronny wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:18 pm What can I say, AE? Bearings are all over the place here in Thailand and are cheap as dirt. But to be honest, I want to say what the fuck? If you can't find used parts for a simple motorcycle and have to IMPORT a gear then is it really worth having a bike at all? And I cringe to think that, if I buy a used car over there, how hard it would be to find parts when something needs to be replaced. In Thailand we have industrial areas all over the country that only sell automotive parts but in Cambodia you don't? And "stripped" is just a word that I use and it means that at least 2 teeth have broken off your gear piece as to make it impossible to use. Sorry for the poor wording.
In Cambodia things don't make a lot of sense frankly, but it's not as bad as it sounds. I'll explain.

Over here there are common vehicles, and then "other" vehicles. Khmer are like sheep, they follow the popular crowd end of story so there's only a few models that cover 95% of bike/car owners here. So here where I live, it's not uncommon to see 20 Khmer workers with 20 of the same bike, colour, model, trim package, everything. Same with cars, if you have a Toyota Camry or a Toyota Land Cruiser, parts are everywhere for them and decents prices, same for motorbikes.

If you buy an "uncommon" model though, in this case a Yamaha YBR 125 like mine, then anything more than common size wear parts like brake pads, chain sets and tyres need to be ordered, often times from countries like the U.K or U.S. That means pistons, gearsets, conrods, gauges, etc, DESPITE THAT 125s ARE CURRENTLY SOLD AT YAMAHA DEALERSHIPS! Sorry, had to vent my frustration for a moment, but it's true, even dealerships here often don't know how to order a part for you.

What might cause confusion though is what constitutes a "common" and "uncommon" bike. To me, things like Kawasakis, Yamahas, Suzukis, Hondas, BMWs, Ducatis, Triumphs, Harley Davidsons, etc are ALL considered common back to the mid 80's or so and parts are plentiful, and then "uncommon" bikes would be things like Ariels, DKWs, Bultacos, Aermacchis, Jawas etc. Here in Cambodia, "common" means 4 models of Honda (Scoopy, Wave, Dream, Super Cub) for small bikes and 2 common models of "big" bike (223cc Phantom based motor & XR 4 valve motors), and "uncommon" means EVERYTHING ELSE, and that means that even seemingly common bikes have an oddly low amount of parts available, especially when it comes to used stuff.

Yeah, that's how it is over here, in a nutshell, and it's kind of retarded to be truthful. A petrolhead's nightmare if you will, and I cringe all the time I deal with machines here, even after 7 years of living here.
-insert signature here
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

I see where you're coming from now, AE. But to be honest, I sell parts for transport trucks (Hino, Nissan, Isuzu, etc, and I don't know much about bikes because I drive a truck. But yeah, it seems like you really know your stuff when it comes to bikes. While you're here, let me ask you about buying used cars over there: Are there any used cars over there that you can buy anywhere from $5,000-$10,000 that are dependable and worth a damn and easy to find parts for?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic