'A Cambodian Spring': activist documentary wins film prize

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

'A Cambodian Spring': activist documentary wins film prize

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Another film to check out on the internet ?

‘A Cambodian Spring’ Wins at Brooklyn Film Fest
June 13, 2017
“A Cambodian Spring,” [which took Irish filmmaker Chris Kelly nine years to make], a documentary that chronicles the lives of three activists as they fight evictions and rights abuses in the run-up to the 2013 national election, was awarded Best Feature Documentary at the Brooklyn Film Festival on Sunday.
The documentary follows the lives of land activists Tep Vanny and Toul Srey Pov as they fight evictions in Phnom Penh’s Boeng Kak neighborhood, and Luon Sovath, an activist monk, as he supports farmers in Siem Reap province locked in a violent land dispute with authorities.

Last month, Mr. Kelly also picked up the Special Jury Prize at Hot Docs, an international documentary festival in Toronto.

Due to the sensitive nature of the film, there are yet to be any announcements of screenings in Cambodia.
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/a-ca ... st-131276/

Also posted here: https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/post176873.html#p176873
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: 'A Cambodian Spring': activist documentary wins film prize

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

saw the 10minute trailer for this it looked good
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

If anyone finds an Internet link or pirated DVD please post it here. I want my kids to view
i.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh Post interview with Chris Kelly, director of 'A Cambodia Spring' :
23 June 2017

You’ve mentioned that you were originally supposed to only spend a few months filming for a documentary on land grabbing in Cambodia, which instead took nine years. What happened?

I had been to Cambodia in 2006 as a tourist and became fascinated by the country. I was blown away by the warmth of the people but also aware of the very dark and violent history that was shaping modern life there. I was drawn to the ambiguity, and while there were many brilliant films and books on the Khmer Rouge and Cambodian history, I felt at that time there was not much looking at daily life, and so I decided to try and raise some funding to make a documentary about land grabbing and forced evictions...
Continued : http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weeke ... ian-spring
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:02 amI had been to Cambodia in 2006 as a tourist and became fascinated by the country. I was blown away by the warmth of the people but also aware of the very dark and violent history that was shaping modern life there.
That never happened before.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

vladimir wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:45 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:02 amI had been to Cambodia in 2006 as a tourist and became fascinated by the country. I was blown away by the warmth of the people but also aware of the very dark and violent history that was shaping modern life there.
That never happened before.
Yes sure, but...
I felt at that time there was not much looking at daily life, and so I decided to try and raise some funding to make a documentary about land grabbing and forced evictions...
As expats who follow what's going on in Cambodia we hear about this all the time, but good to get this out to a wider public :thumb:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Derry director's Cambodian film charts gross injustice
Updated / Wednesday, 2 May 2018 10:29
Derry director Chris Kelly believes that anyone with any sense of moral justice would be angered by the events depicted in his documentary, A Cambodian Spring, which recalls the forced evictions of 18,000 residents living by Boeung Kak Lake. Paddy Kehoe met the film-maker and one of his film's subjects, the activist Venerable Luon Sovath.

Screening details for A Cambodian Spring: Tuesday May 1, Gate, Cork, 7pm; Wednesday May 2, Eye, Galway, 7pm; Thursday May 3, Brunswick Moviebowl, Derry, 7pm; Friday May 4, QFT, Belfast, 6pm. The film opens at selected cinemas nationwide from Friday May 4.
https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2018/0 ... injustice/
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

I haven't seen this. It seems like he focused on the protests of a few small groups though? He doesn't cover the mass movement that broke out in the run up and aftermath of the election? Anyone know?
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

"A Cambodian Spring" - Exclusive Trailer on YouTube.

An intimate and unique portrait of three people caught up in the chaotic and often violent development that is shaping modern-day Cambodia. Shot over six years, the film charts the growing wave of land-rights protests that led to the "Cambodian spring" and the tragic events that followed.

This film is about the complexities – both political and personal, of fighting for what you believe in.

Always "hope" but never "expect".
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

Uh, is that trailer true to the documentary itself? There was no "revolution" and the rich xenophobe Rainsy is no "revolutionary".
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic