Bringing external hard drives to Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Bringing external hard drives to Cambodia?

Post by hanno »

Why would I want to encrypt my HDD?

I would also worry that in some countries where HDD's are checked, an encrypted disk would arouse all sort of suspicions.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Probably goes without saying but bring them in your carry-on baggage as the checked bags get massively banged around on the airport conveyors etc
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
eriksank
Expatriate

Post by eriksank »

hanno wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:57 pmI would also worry that in some countries where HDD's are checked, an encrypted disk would arouse all sort of suspicions.
You cannot see that the disk is encrypted. That was exactly the point I was making. It just looks like an old disk that possibly has been used for something in the past, but now just contains random nonsense. That constatation should be enough for them, no?

Furthermore, immigration/customs officials have no right to search people's hard drives. It is a violation of the provisions in the fourth amendment concerning unreasonable searches and seizures. They do it anyway, because they can. However, that is also exactly what the terrorists say to them. "Why did I do it? Also because I can." Seriously, neither party is more allowed to break the rules than the other party. What's more, the law is the only thing that protects them from irate users seeking to blow their legs off. They are gradually but surely losing their protection.

Therefore, I do not care if I "arouse their suspicion", because it is not me who is running the risk to die like a dog.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

provisions in the fourth amendment
Surely that only applies to the US?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

aren't you all making this as something its not?
who here has EVER had his bags checked flying in or crossing a land border into Cambodia ?
I never have in 13 years

the US customs can ask u to turn on ur computer ( happened to me once) and can look thru it, I imagine if they wanted to, they could ask you to cable ur external hard drive and open it. IF its encrypted, they will ask u to open it, a refusal will not go down well
Flying in with 20 T of movies is not something i would wish to be caught with in the states :popcorn:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I've had my bags checked at the UK border twice now, both times looking for fags. A quick look and a hearty fuck off was all I got.
eriksank
Expatriate

Post by eriksank »

hanno wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:34 pm
provisions in the fourth amendment
Surely that only applies to the US?
In certain ways, yes. In other ways, not really. The constitutional amendments that you find in the American Bill of Rights were not entered into the document for no good reason at all. They collectively try to prevent the situation from becoming unmanageable. These things are mechanisms. Every country basically has the same problem and will provision similar mechanisms, unless they are in the middle of a situation that is unmanageable anyway. We could look up how, for example, for Cambodia, they have tried to keep the lid on this problem. If they haven't, it is just going to run out of control some day.

In fact, the situation with the British colonial authorities had effectively run out of control prior to the American War of Independence. The colonial population did not seek to get rid of His Majesty, King of the British Isles, for no good reason at all. His Royal redcoats had obviously been unreasonably searching and seizing just for the hell of doing so. Impunity always comes at a cost. All of that culminated in Charles, 1st Marquess Cornwallis, Viscount of Brome surrendering his commander sword, after a long siege, in Yorktown on October 19, 1781 to George Washington, commander of the militia of the thirteen united colonies, now re-baptized, the thirteen united states. Now it were his redcoats who would enjoy some unreasonable searches and seizures.
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

Possibility is very very low having entered the KoW less than 3 Times they never are slightly interested in anything besides green bank notes passing hands.
eriksank
Expatriate

Post by eriksank »

hanno wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:57 pman encrypted disk would arouse all sort of suspicions.
By the way, if you encrypt the drive at the device level (sda, sdb, ...), the metadata is no longer readable either. The blocks that describe the folders, files, and their permissions and other attributes are no longer where the system expects them. If you try to mount the drive in order to access its content, you will get an error message saying something like: Invalid filesystem. The drive is not formatted. So, in fact, from the computer itself, it looks like it is an empty drive; which is totally innocuous. The dd instruction will happily read it back, though.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

The fact that identity theft is a thing means every piece of data storage should be encrypted.

BTW eriksank a condition of entry into Australia is that customs can confiscate and examine any electronic device or storage without warrant and without reasonable suspicion.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic