Australian Expat's TukTuk Stolen Last Night in Phnom Penh: $500 Reward

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Australian Expat's TukTuk Stolen Last Night in Phnom Penh: $500 Reward

Post by General Mackevili »

$500 if you can find this stolen Tuk-Tuk. Looks like they have CCTV security footage of the thieves, but I doubt it will help:

Quotes:
Spoiler:
Our custom Tuk Tuk (below) was stolen last night, it has a disability access ramp at the back. If you see it please message me and spread the word to Tuk Tuk drivers to look out. $500 reward.

Did you have a GPS tracker on it?

Nope.

Probably had a full (cheap) makeover by now but sincerely, best of luck.

Showed our tuk tuk drivers. They said its Siem Reap style. So will be easy to identify if still in PP.

security cameras catch anything? street or neighboring cams?

Yep, got the whole thing. Police have it.

Look for a thief in a wheelchair.

ដំណឹងបាត់រ៉ឺមំកកង់បី!
បើបងប្អូនណាបានឃើញរ៉ឺម៉កកង់បីដែលមានភិនភាគដូចក្នុងរូបនេះសូមផ្តល់ដំណឹងដល់យើងខ្ញុំ យើងនឹងមានជូនជាសាគុណ500$។
បញ្ជាក់ៈ រ៉ឺម៉កនេះត្រូវចោរលួចនៅយប់មិញថ្ងៃទី១៤ខែមិថុនា ឆ្នាំ២០១៧ នៅលើផ្លូវ ៤១០ ម្តុំបឹងត្របែក។ ជារ៉ឺម៉ក អាចដឹកជនពិការបាន ដោយផ្នែកក្រោយអាចទំលាក់ជាជំរាលបាន ហើយវាគឺមានលក្ខណៈខុសពីរ៉ឺម៉កកង់បីធម្មតា។
ទំនាក់ទំនង៖ 0966111123 / 078972580
សូមជួយចែកចាយបន្តពត័មាននេះផង។ សូមអរគុណ!!!
Randomly, this is not the only TukTuk designed for handicapped people in Cambodia.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Re: Australian Expat's TukTuk Stolen Last Night in Phnom Penh: $500 Reward

Post by AE86 »

Someone wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:04 pm Showed our tuk tuk drivers. They said its Siem Reap style. So will be easy to identify if still in PP.
Sorry but that's just dumb. Siem Reap tuk tuks are everywhere in Phnom Penh because Phnom Penh drivers like to order them because of better build quality.
-insert signature here
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Ok, I just have to ask this question and it concerns working in Cambodia. So this Barang guy owns a tuk tuk so does that mean he hires a Khmer to drive it around and then split the proceeds? Is there anything a foreigner CAN''T do for work in Cambodia? Surely there have to be restrictions of some sort in place. You'd never find a foreigner buying a tuk tuk in Thailand so of course I'm wondering why the hell this expat has a tuk tuk.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ It is possible to own a tuk tuk as your own personal transport.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Ronny wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:45 pm Ok, I just have to ask this question and it concerns working in Cambodia. So this Barang guy owns a tuk tuk so does that mean he hires a Khmer to drive it around and then split the proceeds? Is there anything a foreigner CAN''T do for work in Cambodia? Surely there have to be restrictions of some sort in place. You'd never find a foreigner buying a tuk tuk in Thailand so of course I'm wondering why the hell this expat has a tuk tuk.
I own several tuk-tuks in Phnom Penh, and use one for our own personal transport as well as work-related driving. I am licensed to drive it, and we believe that I'm the only foreigner that's licensed to drive tuk-tuks and registered for tours. Our social enterprise employs local drivers at times, but not currently, and insist on them getting their Cambodian driver's license. We don't ever take fares from the roadside, it's not what we do. We are registered as a legitimate tour company, though, and have operated group tours for incoming groups, but not as much in the last year as our focus has shifted.

I miss your point, though - what restrictions do you feel should be in place?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Ronny wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:45 pm Ok, I just have to ask this question and it concerns working in Cambodia. So this Barang guy owns a tuk tuk so does that mean he hires a Khmer to drive it around and then split the proceeds? Is there anything a foreigner CAN''T do for work in Cambodia? Surely there have to be restrictions of some sort in place. You'd never find a foreigner buying a tuk tuk in Thailand so of course I'm wondering why the hell this expat has a tuk tuk.
I think you are confusing the use of a tuk-tuk as a vehicle for general transport and the use of it as a taxi. This isn't Thailand anyway, what people do isn't over-regulated here. I've often overseen and done construction/ refurbishment work here and nobody cared. Apparently if a Falang tries that in Thailand they can get busted. That's just a pain in the ass. I'm not stealing anyone's job, and I'll hire locals as needed, but often it's better to just do it yourself, or work alongside people. The Thais would prefer to run the show themselves so they can exploit migrant workers from Myanmar, Cambodia or Isaan, pay them buttons (if at all) and pocket the profits themselves. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:21 pm
I think you are confusing the use of a tuk-tuk as a vehicle for general transport and the use of it as a taxi. This isn't Thailand anyway, what people do isn't over-regulated here. I've often overseen and done construction/ refurbishment work here and nobody cared. Apparently if a Falang tries that in Thailand they can get busted. That's just a pain in the ass. I'm not stealing anyone's job, and I'll hire locals as needed, but often it's better to just do it yourself, or work alongside people. The Thais would prefer to run the show themselves so they can exploit migrant workers from Myanmar, Cambodia or Isaan, pay them buttons (if at all) and pocket the profits themselves. 8-)
In three years of driving tuktuks I've had two (just two) Khmer criticize me for "stealing jobs from Cambodians." For the past few months, Mrs Stroppy hasn't been able to get the tuk-tuk drivers on the corner to drive her because they're all engrossed in their card game and beer drinking. She walks to the next corner, and is welcomed by the drivers as part of the community.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:32 pm Mrs Stroppy hasn't been able to get the tuk-tuk drivers on the corner to drive her because they're all engrossed in their card game and beer drinking.
Glad I'm not crazy, people don't believe me when I tell them that the 6 tuk tuks that steal all the parking on the side of our business refuse to take us anywhere because they play cards all day. Everyone tells me it must be because they don't like me, but if I want to play cards with them they're all too eager to get me a free beer and join in on the "fun".

I honestly don't know where their money comes from though. It seems like they take at most, 3 people a day between them all.
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AE86 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:58 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:32 pm Mrs Stroppy hasn't been able to get the tuk-tuk drivers on the corner to drive her because they're all engrossed in their card game and beer drinking.
Glad I'm not crazy, people don't believe me when I tell them that the 6 tuk tuks that steal all the parking on the side of our business refuse to take us anywhere because they play cards all day. Everyone tells me it must be because they don't like me, but if I want to play cards with them they're all too eager to get me a free beer and join in on the "fun".

I honestly don't know where their money comes from though. It seems like they take at most, 3 people a day between them all.
The guys on our corner were good, hard-working people and most of them are our neighbours - and then a couple of new guys moved in on the action and now it's just gambling and beer every day. The locals usually offer me a beer and to join in, but know I'm on my way to or from school. We occasionally buy them a few cans of beer for goodwill, but it won't be happening while they're refusing to drive anyone. I also don't know where their money comes from, as the normal pattern is beer for breakfast in the communal tuktuk, cards for a couple of hours (with beer), sleep for 2-3 hours, more cards until dark (with beer), lock the tuktuks away in the construction supply yard, and set up the table in front of the house for a few beers.

Edit: the infamous Nigerian church/drug-ring is within the same community, and at least a couple of guys from the street are runners, so who knows...
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Ok guys, I get it. I just never heard of anyone using a tuk tuk for anything other than a taxi service. I'm beginning to understand that Cambodia is fundamentally different than Thailand in several ways and I'll learn as I go. About Cambodia not being overly regulated, I think that's a good thing. Here in Thailand there's always a certain pressure I feel when I go out in public because I feel like almost all the Thais I meet are exploitive and looking for any reason to take a buck or two off of me. Maybe it's paranoia to a certain extent but it seems like you have to be careful about every single thing you do here and it takes its toll on you mentally. It would be nice to be able to sit back a chill without worrying about "stepping on someone's toes", so to speak. Thais smile a lot, but from my experience, they can become aggressive quite easily if they feel slighted or feel they have "lost face". Are the Khmers that way?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic