Australian Expat's TukTuk Stolen Last Night in Phnom Penh: $500 Reward

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Australian Expat's TukTuk Stolen Last Night in Phnom Penh: $500 Reward

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I've watched a series of programmes where people doing similar jobs in the west have travelled to less developed countries in the world and experienced the same job with a local worker, lived with the family and understood all aspects of the local conditions and community they live under. Midwives, taxi drivers and one other I can't remember. There seemed to be a lot of respect and knowledge gained from both perspectives to take back to use in their respective countries, jobs and environment.

I cannot understand in this case why a highly skilled foreigner thinks setting up a business, ( social enterprise, or whatever the new socially correct word for supposed charity is ), to compete on some sort of moral high ground with a considerably less educated group of people in their own back yard benefits anyone other than themselves and their own self worth.

Yeah it's great to get a Western tuk-tuk driver in a 3rd world country.

Love to discuss it over a free trade coffee served in an orphan only staffed restaurant but obviously its difficult to get from the airport coz the locals are too lazy playing cards and drinking to give me a lift into town. How did anyone ever get around and survive in Phnom Penh before this bunch arrived. The French, the business NGO's and now the hipsters. Let them make cake and be well trained to serve it to us in our own language.

:stir:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

In Stroppy's enterprise, there is no competition with locals. I believe they help beneficiaries to get tuktuks to operate for themselves.
btw you missed out:
gluten free and non gmo cake
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

there was a good show on tv about a guy that went to different countries and worked as a taxi driver, one episode in India,one in PP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0485ls7
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:24 amI cannot understand in this case why a highly skilled foreigner thinks setting up a business, ( social enterprise, or whatever the new socially correct word for supposed charity is ), to compete on some sort of moral high ground with a considerably less educated group of people in their own back yard benefits anyone other than themselves and their own self worth.

Yeah it's great to get a Western tuk-tuk driver in a 3rd world country.
I genuinely don't know if this is a shot at me. Please let me know if it is and I'll respond, otherwise I'll be accused of being oversensitive.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

tuk tuk 's for sale in the UK

http://www.tukshop.biz/tuk-tuk-faq/

and take a course in how to drive one in Chiang mai

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... n-bangkok/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

Ronny wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:13 am PhuketRichard, it could be because I live in an industrial area (In Thai we call it Siang Gong) where almost all the people are Chinese and it is very intense and highly competitive here. And because of my family business, I have to interact with Chinese merchants and other people all the time so it's very hectic most of the time. I wasn't really knocking Thai people in general, but as we both know, there are many out there such as policemen who obviously are looking for $$$. And since I drive a lot, I encounter a lot of these policemen who want there "tea money" for driving 100 km/h in a 80 km/h zone. I imagine that since you live in Phuket things are much more laid back so our situations are very different.
It was a good move to ban you in 2017, since you write a LOT of B/S!
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

It’s a 3 year old thread. What’s your point???
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

In three years of driving tuktuks I've had two (just two) Khmer criticize me for "stealing jobs from Cambodians." For the past few months, Mrs Stroppy hasn't been able to get the tuk-tuk drivers on the corner to drive her because they're all engrossed in their card game and beer drinking. She walks to the next corner, and is welcomed by the drivers as part of the community.
[/quote]

SC, please correct me if I am wrong but the rules and competitive nature of tuk tuk drivers in Temple Town are much different that PP. The Tuk Tuk association were the leaders in even banning moto rentals there (if that is still a current rule). Anyway, do you think a barang could escape harm for driving a tuk tuk in Siem Reap?
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

SC has left the building.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Shazza
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Shazza »

This bloody thread is 3 years old, what a bloody waste of eye sight. Not much information on the stolen tuk tuk anyway, everyone is trying to one up everyone. And who's the wanker ,that brought the thread up away, wasted 5 minutes of my life 🖕
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic