Video of Foreigner In SUV Running Over Khmer on Motorbike in Phnom Penh Sparks Debate: Whose Fault Is It? (POLL)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Whose fault was this accident?

THE BARANG
30%
THE KHMER
42%
BOTH
18%
NEITHER; SHIT HAPPENS
9%

Total votes: 33
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Video of Foreigner In SUV Running Over Khmer on Motorbike in Phnom Penh Sparks Debate: Whose Fault Is It? (POLL)

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Watching the video closely I'd say they're both to blame. I put it 60-70% Khmer and 40-30% car driver. Moto driver moved in and out of the way as everyone mentions. He also didn't even bother glancing behind, which gives him most of the blame. However, this is Cambodia and the car shouldn't have been riding so close if he wasn't ready to brake at a moment's notice. Failed at defensive driving. I do agree with AK though. It really sucks but you might have to swallow the whole pride/principle...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Video of Foreigner In SUV Running Over Khmer on Motorbike in Phnom Penh Sparks Debate: Whose Fault Is It? (POLL)

Post by cambo swa »

OP should consider when taking his time in deciding who will win the "whose fault is it" that as your car sits in impound they will be charging you afee for every day. And it is not a small amount. It could be possible that the final impound cost could exceed what you might pay now to get this done.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Just a side-note: just because the guy got up straight away does NOT mean he was uninjured.

Adrenaline.

I went over the top of a car, landed on my knee, smashed my kneecap, and got straight up, felt almost no pain for around 3-4 minutes...but trust me, that night was hell, and for a few weeks thereafter

Just be thankful he didn't bang his head, things could be a whole lot worse.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

vladimir wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:16 pm Just a side-note: just because the guy got up straight away does NOT mean he was uninjured.

Adrenaline.

I went over the top of a car, landed on my knee, smashed my kneecap, and got straight up, felt almost no pain for around 3-4 minutes...but trust me, that night was hell, and for a few weeks thereafter

Just be thankful he didn't bang his head, things could be a whole lot worse.
Sure, but Saffers have reduced pain receptors anyway, don't they? :D
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

On a sidenote, I swear some Khmer can't feel pain nearly as much as other people. I watched a welding patching up a neighbor's gate with no gloves or shoes on, sparks landing all over his arms and face and he didn't seem to notice. Seen many instances like this before too.
-insert signature here
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Not a comment as to fault. Been there done that as I was stationary have 3 helmetless riders glance off the front of my vehicle. One broken leg later. Cost me a fair bit of $ to extricate my self. Done & done.

If I had not been there it would not have happened.

Now have front & rear DVR camera in vehicle. Will it make a difference. Who the fuk knows. But will be shopping for another in PP for second vehicle next week. Fuk all these are some idiotic drivers here.

I continue to review the contrast between KL where the driving courtesy is everyones responsibility.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AE86 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:31 pm On a sidenote, I swear some Khmer can't feel pain nearly as much as other people. I watched a welding patching up a neighbor's gate with no gloves or shoes on, sparks landing all over his arms and face and he didn't seem to notice. Seen many instances like this before too.
I must admit I weld in bare feet and without gloves, unless I'm handling the hot ends. I tried welding in full safety gear, it's much less safe as you'll pass out and fall into the weld. What's dangerous for me is as a diabetic I have reduced sensitivity in my feet and will often be standing on a molten lug for a while before it registers as painful. I do still use a full auto-darkening welding mask though, you've got to have standards - none of this just looking a little to the side rubbish!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Haha, I don't know how you can do it mate. I need forearm length welder's gloves, jacket, long pants and boots if I'm going to weld. Only thing I don't have is an auto darkening mask, just got used to the "head banger" flip style.
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AE86 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:45 pm Haha, I don't know how you can do it mate. I need forearm length welder's gloves, jacket, long pants and boots if I'm going to weld. Only thing I don't have is an auto darkening mask, just got used to the "head banger" flip style.
Found a "proper" welding helmet in TTP for $35 - now that I have it I'd never go back to flip-goggles. I do get sunburn from welding, but as I'm not at it every day, it doesn't seem to be a huge problem. My worse habit is then grinding the slag instead of chipping it and ending up with it in my hair, up my nose, down my throat.
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

Well if the dumb dumb didn't drive into the SUV he wouldn't have gotten hit in the first place.

just another Khmer trying to make a buck off the western world again and again when does Cambodia give 500 USD million back to USA and when does Cambodia even acknowledge to 40 million dollar refugee deal with Australia.

They Wil always have there hand out to.the west
Even beggars even politicians and no to drivers the works they are the welfare planets of the earth
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic