19 Year Old British Backpacker Harry Corbett Described As an "Incredible Bloke" Found Hanged in Vietnam

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: 19 Year Old British Backpacker Harry Corbett Described As an "Incredible Bloke" Found Hanged in Vietnam

Post by jaynewcastle »

I'd imagine like their family & friends, you always wonder why these kids decide to kill themselves

A tragic waste of life
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Re: 19 Year Old British Backpacker Harry Corbett Described As an "Incredible Bloke" Found Hanged in Vietnam

Post by AE86 »

^^On these backpacking trips I have a strong suspicion most are into illicit drugs. While of course nothing new, the problem is nowadays that the stuff on the market is so intense that it can take an otherwise healthy person and turn them into a suicidal basketcase, and I think that's evidenced by the steady flow of young naive backpackers jumping ship so to speak.

Just a suspicion.
-insert signature here
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Was it suicide or murder? Either way, it's probably attributable to drugs.
You could be next.
hatchelt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by hatchelt »

Doesn't have to be drugs. When I first went travelling at 20 I found myself in Western Australia jet lagged to all hell, perpetually hungover while living some nocturnal, 1 meal and 40 Winfield Reds a day existence with a Victoria Bitter IV drip which I was constantly sweating out because I'd never experienced heat like this in my entire life. Then the "love of my life" first girlfriend, whom I'd left at home, dumped me because, get this, 21 year olds don't really mean it when they say they'll wait for you to bumble around the globe while they sit patiently at home watching the clock, counting down your return.

Anyway one night I was at some cheap burger bar/internet cafe at 3 in the morning, sober, but so utterly sideways I had no clue who I was or what was going on but just wanted everything to stop. If someone's young and feeling like this, without their normal support networks, I can see how the wrong decisions can be made.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

hatchelt wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:16 pmWestern Australia ... Victoria Bitter
Wasn't perchance a beverage from the Swan Brewery, given that it was 20 years ago?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
hatchelt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by hatchelt »

No, I didn't know any better so it was VB until I ran out of money. Then it was 6 dollar boxes of Goon...Coolabah I think?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

hatchelt wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:33 pm No, I didn't know any better so it was VB until I ran out of money. Then it was 6 dollar boxes of Goon...Coolabah I think?
As it should be, as long as it's hung from the Hills Hoist.
hatchelt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by hatchelt »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:39 pm
hatchelt wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:33 pm No, I didn't know any better so it was VB until I ran out of money. Then it was 6 dollar boxes of Goon...Coolabah I think?
Before being used as a pillow?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

hatchelt wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:43 pm
Verily.

Edit: Incidentally, you can buy goonies at Super Duper if you're interested.
hatchelt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by hatchelt »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:51 pm
hatchelt wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:43 pm
Verily.

Edit: Incidentally, you can buy goonies at Super Duper if you're interested.
*looks away from his keyboard and off into the distance, his face tightening* That's a life I left behind a long time ago...

...but I'm totally getting a selfie outside a shop called Super Duper!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic