Yawn . . . Clueless Tuktuk/taxi drivers

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Yawn . . . Clueless Tuktuk/taxi drivers

Post by timmydownawell »

Kuroneko wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:12 pm
angkorjohn wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:26 pm If the tuk tuks dont sort themselves out then in 5 years time they just gonna be novelty rides for tourists like the cyclos before them.
The Government are keen to phase them out, and with the increasing traffic congestion problems, I wouldn't be surprised if in five years they are all but gone from Phnom Penh.
and replaced with what? Lexus SUVs?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

angkorjohn wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:26 pm I for one love these apps. I wish they would roll out in Siem Reap as well for when I'm there too.
iTsumo works in SR
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:39 pm
angkorjohn wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:26 pm If the tuk tuks dont sort themselves out then in 5 years time they just gonna be novelty rides for tourists like the cyclos before them.
The Government are keen to phase them out, and with the increasing traffic congestion problems, I wouldn't be surprised if in five years they are all but gone from Phnom Penh.
:lol: Sky Train,Buses and metered taxis.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

Kuroneko wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:09 pm
:lol: Sky Train,Buses and metered taxis.
Yeah that's my point, replaced by taxis, metered rikshaws -- passapp, utsumo, exnet, grab, uber etc. they need to go with the times or they'll just be a novelty, once upon a time as i said the way to get about was the cyclo now they just have those old dudes in green driving around slack jawed tourists on group tours clogging up riverside. I see them around BKK1 all sat on their asses wondering why nobody is taking them as people get wise to use one of the apps. Only time I take a tuk tuk is if theres more than 3 people and we a car for a short journey makes no sense.

and Kuroneko thanks for the heads up on itsumo on SR. was there for a week last month and didnt see any on the street but will check the app.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^^ That was Chorlton that gave the heads up on itSumo in SR.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

sorry UT didn't have my glasses on. Thanks Chorlton
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

people who can drive? I had high hopes when the little indian things turned up. the drivers seemed to be failry sensible but now they are upo to all the old tricks, signal left turn right, jump lights etc etc :-(
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Are tuk tuk drivers lowering their price demands because of PassApp competition? Or are they raising them?

I took a PassApp from mid-riverside to Hard Rock Cafe the other night and it was 3200 riel. Leaving the Hard Rock, PassApp network was down. Tuk Tuk driver asked for $3 (almost 4X the price) for the return ride.

Is anyone getting better prices from tuk tuk drivers by whipping out their phones and saying "I'll pay you $1 or I'm using PassApp"? Will they capitulate if you do that or will they still refuse and just sit there and watch you go off in the PassApp rickshaw?

I'm kind of surprised there isn't more hostility and violence from the tuk tuk drivers towards PassApp and the customers who use it. Maybe there is such hostility and violence but I haven't seen it yet.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

The Khmer get fed up with being ripped off. It will be time soon for the old Tuk-tuc's to go.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:13 pm The Khmer get fed up with being ripped off. It will be time soon for the old Tuk-tuc's to go.
Why don't they just adjust to the market and lower their price demands? Do Khmers really never do that?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic