Rampaging traffic policeman on the run after firing shots at accident scene

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Rampaging traffic policeman on the run after firing shots at accident scene

Post by StroppyChops »

Ronny wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:04 pm Geez, does this happen a lot there in Cambodia? I don't want to get my head blown off just because I get into a fender bender.
"Ricochets" are common here.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick_o'shea »

StroppyChops wrote:
Ronny wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:04 pm Geez, does this happen a lot there in Cambodia? I don't want to get my head blown off just because I get into a fender bender.
I thought I was a unique snowflake!?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

rick_o'shea wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:51 pm
StroppyChops wrote:
I thought I was a unique snowflake!?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk
Ha! Ma HAH! I wish I could give you more than one carrot for that response, but alas...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Mech Dara and Jovina Chua,
The Phnom Penh Post, Thu, 15 June 2017

Lim Chamnan, Son of Interior Ministry Secretary of State Pol Lim, has been demoted in rank and removed from his position as the deputy Chief of Kandal's Provincial Traffic Department for firing a gun on the street while fleeing an accident on Saturday, National Police spokesman Kirth Chantharith announced in a video posted on the National Police website on Tuesday.

"At the request of the National Police Chief and Sar Kheng, the minister of interior, we have decided to punish Lim Chamnan in three ways," he said.

In addition to receiving a warning letter, Chamnan has been "demoted one rank from lieutenant colonel to a major and removed from his position as the deputy head of the traffic bureau to become a regular police officer".

Chantharith also explained the decision behind not criminally charging Chamnan.

"We have checked the law and it does not state that shooting one time into the sky must be punished by a jail sentence. Therefore, when it is not stated in the law, we need to comply with the. . . discipline of the National Police, "he said, referring to an article from the National Police Regulations.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Just hijinks. The good news is that most of the events where the people brandish guns they miss what they are shooting at, anyhow. That's why they use grenades if they really want you dead.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic