Rampaging traffic policeman on the run after firing shots at accident scene

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Rampaging traffic policeman on the run after firing shots at accident scene

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cruisemonkey wrote:
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:50 am “We will follow national police protocol and issue him with a warning, confiscate his gun and suspend him from work,” Mr Chamroeun told local media.
He should have added -
"When his (paid) suspension is over, we will give him his gun back... and a promotion."
Police Say Car-Shooting Official’s Son Is Not Facing Arrest
June 13, 2017
A traffic police officer accused of shooting at another vehicle after a hit-and-run collision avoided arrest because of his father’s high-ranking government position, a provincial police chief said on Monday.
“Chamnan is a son of Mr. Pol Lim, a secretary of state at the Interior Ministry,” Mr. Roatha said on Monday. “He was reported to have shot at another car, then escaped after his car collided with the other car.”

Video footage of the incident, which was shared online by Fresh News on Sunday, shows the Camry clipping the other car as it overtakes in rainy conditions before speeding off. As the other car tries to follow, sounding its horn, the driver’s window opens and a gun appears before a shot is heard. [CEO edit: See video posted above]
ImageThis is the Camry filmed leaving after the accident. Fresh News.
Provincial police chief Iev Chamroeun on Monday said he had received orders from his superiors to issue Mr. Chamnan a fine. No details of the amount were given.

“Chamnan was not arrested because he is the son of a high-ranking government official,” he said.

Contacted on Monday, Mr. Lim, a former deputy National Police chief, confirmed Lim Chamnan was his son and said that he had gone to Phnom Penh municipal police on Monday morning to explain that he had used his gun in self-defense...
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/poli ... st-131275/

This is not even a slap on the wrist. The father obviously wields too much clout to have his son embarrassed.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

"he had used his gun in self-defense..."

Case closed!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The Cabinet Ministers of Cambodia សមាជិកគណះរដ្ឋមន្រ្តីនៃរាជរដ្ឋាភិបាលកម្ពុជា
A Secretary of State at the Ministry of the Interior.
Mr. Pol Lim (ប៉ុល លឹម)
sophirom.wordpress.com/2010/12/06/the-cabinet-ministers-of-cambodia
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

I find it interesting that there seems to be a lot of officials willing to rat out on higher gov/ police officials?
Is this a new thing, or am I just noticing more do you think?
Well done for posting the pic of his father :thumb:

Anyhow,
Case closed.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Police Son of Official Demoted After Car-Shooting Accusation
June 15, 2017
A senior police officer who is the son of a high-ranking government official has been demoted following the release of video footage showing him shooting at a car from his own vehicle after he clipped it while overtaking, a National Police official announced on Wednesday.

Lim Chamnan, the son of a secretary of state at the Interior Ministry, was demoted from lieutenant colonel to major and stripped of his position as deputy chief of the Kandal provincial traffic police bureau by order of Interior Minister Sar Kheng, said National Police spokesman Kirth Chantharith.

“[Mr.] Sar Kheng has decided to discipline Mr. Lim Chamnan, even though we did not receive a complaint from the victim,” General Chantharith says in a video posted to the National Police website on Wednesday.
He says Mr. Chamnan was dropped from deputy chief to a traffic officer. His father is Pol Lim, a former deputy National Police chief.

Police officers found to have fired a weapon “without an order or without a legitimate reason” may be subject to demotion of rank or expulsion from their unit, post or the police force, National Police disciplinary regulations say.

Sok Sam Oeun, a legal expert, said that other than in cases of self-defense, it is illegal for someone to shoot at a car, which could carry a charge of attempted murder...
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/poli ... on-131367/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Geez, does this happen a lot there in Cambodia? I don't want to get my head blown off just because I get into a fender bender.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Ronny wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:04 pm Geez, does this happen a lot there in Cambodia? I don't want to get my head blown off just because I get into a fender bender.
You are probably safer here than in the US :D

Road rage incidents involving firearms have more than doubled since 2014.The Trace’s analysis found that incidents categorized as road rage — broadly, where someone in a car brandished a gun in a threatening manner or fired a gun at another driver or passenger — have more than doubled in the last three years, from 247 in 2014 to 620 in 2016.

All told, there were at least 1,319 road rage episodes involving firearms over that span. Nationwide, at least 354 people were wounded and 136 people were killed. https://www.thetrace.org/2017/04/road-r ... ings-guns/
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I think 137 mass shootings in the US so far this year so cambodia looks a much safer place.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Mass shootings is one thing but getting shot over a fender bender is another. This one guy who used to live in Cambodia and still puts up stuff on youtube said he almost got shot by a guy in a car who bumped him from behind as he was riding his bike down the road. So I was wondering just how common this is in Cambodia.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

A common rule of thumb is that in the case of a traffic accident, the foreigner is always at fault. So, your chances of being extorted by both the police and the "victim" are greater than being shot. You are of little financial value to them dead.

However, if you step on someone's foot while dancing being shot or being the victim of a grenade attack are distinct possibilities.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic