77% of Cambodian parents use physical punishment against children.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: 77% of Cambodian parents use physical punishment against children.

Post by frank lee bent »

But extra-judicial killings, invading a country to steal its resources, bailing out criminal bankers...those are just dandy.
oh yes, these are lawful acts when committed by nation states.
that is just how they spin the threads of suffering into the cloth of history which is then dyed to the hue of the victor
i suppose they preferred the work of tavistock to that of BF Skinner
after all, for practical purposes are we considered to be animals or something extra?
People would like to believe the latter
from my obs. we follow normal mammal behavior
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

cptrelentless wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:57 pm I object to any beating with an implement, that's just sadism. I got the cane at school, the cunts enjoyed it. I see no point in beating shit out of your child, as it just inures them to pain. Kids have not developed the concept of logic until they're around 10 to 12, though. You cannot rationalise with them and have them comprehend what you mean, much like a dog. So, with the baby if after a number of 'No's and a finger-wag he still fiddles with something he get's a rap on his hands. Otherwise it's an open hand on the bum or shoulders, not anywhere it'll cause significant pain, this is about over-stepping the line a number of times not creating a household full of psychopaths. My seven-year-old I smack maybe once a year, just to keep her on her toes. No, truthfully, it's about the final straw, there needs to be the nuclear deterrent. You do it once in a blue moon. My wife has said to me she would rather I look after the kids than her because my parenting style is not the same as her "Chinese" style. From what I can see that style involves yellings and beatings. She'll grab things and hit the kids with them, things like chop sticks and thin shit that forms a cut. I've been squashing down on this behaviour but it is very much learnt, her upbringing was beating with canes and shit, and general servitude as the non-direct lineage biological child. A lot of people here look after kids that aren't theirs, and those are the ones getting shit most of the time. You are a dollar item.
In Riding the Iron Rooster, Paul Theroux talks about seeing children beaten so long and so hard that they turn round and hit their mothers. Can't find the passage.

Here's a link from a site which asked Chinese adults how and what they were beaten with as kids, translated into English.

Chinese Share How Their Parents Beat Them: Part 1

https://www.chinasmack.com/chinese-chil ... -stories-1
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Digg3r wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:38 pm
theres a big difference between a spanking and a beating,
Not in the child's eyes there isn't.

I do not use physical discipline with my children. I do not want them to behave through fear or intimidation. I have a no nonsense regime in my house and I do not tolerate any bad behaviour however the punishments are limited to time out and/or loss of privileges. I rarely have to enforce the rules.
it is now iliegal in the UK to Spank your own child
and now there is a generation full of soft cunts,
So bringing up a generation without physical punishment has lead to a generation of non-violent (soft cunt) people. I would say that proves the point against physical discipline.

Having nieces and nephews and whatever the godchildren are does not give you any experience in parenting unless you are responsible for the upbringing.
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:51 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:32 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:55 pm i see nothing wrong with a kid getting a spanked bottom as a line of discipline
How many kids do you have Jamie?
none, not that it makes much different
my kids would be likely to get a spanked bottom if they deserve it
its not like bringing out the belt is it
the spank is more to do with the shock factor rather than actually hurting the kid
(im a parenting expert obviously lol)
i know i dont have kids, or experience bringing up my own kids, i never claimed to be an expert
im just sharing my views on the subject in this thread, whether the fact i have kids or not wont change my view
were all brought up in different ways and different environments so we will all have different views
you never know my kids could turn out to be little angels that never warrent a little spanking, then again they could be little shits
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i will agree though, i think everyone i know says having a kid does change you, maybe my outlook will to
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
eriksank
Expatriate

Post by eriksank »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:11 pmMore than two thirds of parents still use physical punishment against their children, according to research by the charity World Vision .... there is still much to be done ... it said. Aimylee Gabriel, "child protection" manager at World Vision ...
Just like the State interfering between husband and wife, the State interfering between parents and children amounts for people involved to proving that they are willing to risk their lives and die for what they believe in. The problem is that we unfortunately do not really end up with a World Vision manager's funeral but with a uniformed idiot's instead:

Farmer kills policeman as revenge for arrests.
A farmer has confessed to [getting even with] a commune police chief for revenge in Tbong Khmum province. The suspect had been hiding on a quiet road near the village, lying in wait for the victim to ride by on his motorcycle. He intercepted Lt Sokem and stabbed him in the neck several times, killing him immediately. According to the suspect, Lt Sokem arrested him for beating his wife in 2016. He was released after being told not to do it again. Earlier this year, the police chief arrested Mr Nak’s son, following a verbal altercation with another youth in the village. His son was released after paying compensation to the victim. Mr Nak told officers he had planned the attack to get back at Lt Sokem for targeting him and his family.

You see, there simply exists an entire class of problems that cannot be solved by voting over them. The chilling effect that will neutralize the issue and will remind everybody how far they can go too far in sticking their noses into other people's family matters, comes from spilling blood. Seriously, the currency in this matter is not votes, nor dollars, but liters of red blood. So, yes, obviously, "there is still much to be done!" ;-)
Just Another Dave
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Just Another Dave »

The girlfriends Mum and Aunties are not shy to put a few whacks into any the kids in there presence. But... They've been looking after my pooch for the last few months while we went holidays in Oz and from reports, my pooch has been a downright bitch (yes, she's female). Even to the point of having a nip at a few family members. And reports are that no family members have had the balls to strike the barangs dog. ??????? A bit of alpha discipline. I don't understand Khmers sometimes.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Discipline problems with young'uns? Just stick their hand in a drawer and slam it shut.
Honor the local values however and be sure to
insert their left hand.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

77% ???

IMHO more like 99%

They hit way too easily and the violence begats violence.

I guess it is hard to reason with people with little logic or education (and also be able to try to reason) and hence there is only one option.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic