77% of Cambodian parents use physical punishment against children.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: 77% of Cambodian parents use physical punishment against children.

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:35 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:50 am too many special snowflakes in this politically correct social media generation, its cringey
My kid is pretty tough already. I don't think beating him around the shop is going to have any desirable results. People commenting on topics they have no experience of - that's really cringey.
fuck off, were (or i am at least) talking about using physical punishment (spanking) as a way of disciplining your child, not beating him/her round a shop, or one of these parents who physically abuses their child,
theres a big difference between a spanking and a beating,
no i have no children of my own, but doesnt mean i dont have experience, i have 2 nephews and 2 godsons, im 30, not some 16 year old that thinks he knows better,
all ive said is i dont see anything wrong with spanking
it is now iliegal in the UK to Spank your own child
and now there is a generation full of soft cunts, of which you have no experience of, so your point of view over my point of view, is invalid :roll:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

That's why the title is a bit misleading. One has to wonder how World Vision (get the donations in) defines physical punishment... It's a very broad term that goes from a little slap on the wrists to physical abuse.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Not in the child's eyes there isn't.

I do not use physical discipline with my children. I do not want them to behave through fear or intimidation. I have a no nonsense regime in my house and I do not tolerate any bad behaviour however the punishments are limited to time out and/or loss of privileges. I rarely have to enforce the rules.
it is now iliegal in the UK to Spank your own child
and now there is a generation full of soft cunts,
So bringing up a generation without physical punishment has lead to a generation of non-violent (soft cunt) people. I would say that proves the point against physical discipline.

Having nieces and nephews and whatever the godchildren are does not give you any experience in parenting unless you are responsible for the upbringing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Digg3r wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:38 pm
Not in the child's eyes there isn't.

I do not use physical discipline with my children. I do not want them to behave through fear or intimidation. I have a no nonsense regime in my house and I do not tolerate any bad behaviour however the punishments are limited to time out and/or loss of privileges. I rarely have to enforce the rules.
Some kids are different than others. If the way you parent your children works that way then great (and I mean that genuinely), and I can actually see how hitting well behaved (they sound well behaved naturally) kids would be traumatised in a way from a spanking. So in your case I'd say keep doing what you're doing.

For some kids though timeouts simply wont work, and in their cases I advocate physical action with in reason and with clear guidelines.
-insert signature here
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I object to any beating with an implement, that's just sadism. I got the cane at school, the cunts enjoyed it. I see no point in beating shit out of your child, as it just inures them to pain. Kids have not developed the concept of logic until they're around 10 to 12, though. You cannot rationalise with them and have them comprehend what you mean, much like a dog. So, with the baby if after a number of 'No's and a finger-wag he still fiddles with something he get's a rap on his hands. Otherwise it's an open hand on the bum or shoulders, not anywhere it'll cause significant pain, this is about over-stepping the line a number of times not creating a household full of psychopaths. My seven-year-old I smack maybe once a year, just to keep her on her toes. No, truthfully, it's about the final straw, there needs to be the nuclear deterrent. You do it once in a blue moon. My wife has said to me she would rather I look after the kids than her because my parenting style is not the same as her "Chinese" style. From what I can see that style involves yellings and beatings. She'll grab things and hit the kids with them, things like chop sticks and thin shit that forms a cut. I've been squashing down on this behaviour but it is very much learnt, her upbringing was beating with canes and shit, and general servitude as the non-direct lineage biological child. A lot of people here look after kids that aren't theirs, and those are the ones getting shit most of the time. You are a dollar item.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

they beat us with wooden paddles like a cricket bat with 1 inch holes to leave blood blisters at the slightest pretext in school in USA.
normal practise.
they did other thing to us too.
you had to bow and scrape your right foot with hand on heart as a kid.
fuck- we should have been mussies!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

frank lee bent wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:36 pm they beat us with wooden paddles like a cricket bat with 1 inch holes to leave blood blisters at the slightest pretext in school in USA.
normal practise.
they did other thing to us too.
you had to bow and scrape your right foot with hand on heart as a kid.
fuck- we should have been mussies!

Were kids not allowed to take handguns to school in those days ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

well to be honest i had some redneck bullies after me age 14 who would corner me at lunch and beat the shit out of me 5 on 1.
after a while i borrowed a little 9 shot ruger long barrel .22 revolver and asked who was going to be first, and that ended the bullying.
true story from rural Oklahoma.
see, their big brothers were in Nam and i questioned why.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

oh, and quite often the teachers who were proposing to paddle a hulking 16 year old would be punched to the floor and the police would come, LOL.
they had dry counties back then in OK.
as if anyone would NOT drink given the mother fucking tornadoes and fucking Bill Clinton right next door in Arkansaw en shit.
you would get them mexican min bricks sprayed with sugar water to compress and preserve. $75 one pound, came up from Tejas.

no wonder they beat us hard to hurt us.

we were pretty ungovernable and not real ahem, amenable, if that is the word to their brand of indoctrination.

and they are still pushing the same shit today, but no more beating,
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:11 pm According to a recent report by World Vision, more than three-quarters of Cambodian parents use physical punishment to discipline their kids. Physical discipline is rapidly becoming morally, and sometimes legally, unacceptable in western countries,
But extra-judicial killings, invading a country to steal its resources, bailing out criminal bankers...those are just dandy.

I think the assumption here is that because western countries think it's wrong, it's wrong for everybody.

A good whipping or keel-hauling never hurt anyone.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic