77% of Cambodian parents use physical punishment against children.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Re: 77% of Cambodian parents use physical punishment against children.

Post by AE86 »

Duncan wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:33 am
Could be a problem solved by using Ritalin ?

It's a controversial topic (ADHD meds), but here's my experience with Adderall. It calmed me down and I was instantly a "good little boy" after I took it. I didn't feel sluggish or drugged, I just normal and my head wasn't spinning out of control (as I put it). Somewhat similar effect with caffeine, it calms me down. It was after it wore off that I would get irritable and bouncy again. So for me it worked.

HOWEVER, there are plenty of people overdrugging their children in an attempt to force the into submission, or they simply don't want to deal with them. I've talked to many "kids" who were given the drugs who were seriously messed up by them, so I recommened treading very cautiously and slowly. Maybe even try giving a little coffee at first. I know it sounds nuts, but when I first got my hands on a cup of coffee (that I wasn't supposed to have), I again sat down and became a "good little boy". It didn't last long though, and after 3 days it was nearly useless at helping my behaviour.
Last edited by AE86 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
-insert signature here
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:50 am too many special snowflakes in this politically correct social media generation, its cringey
My kid is pretty tough already. I don't think beating him around the shop is going to have any desirable results. People commenting on topics they have no experience of - that's really cringey.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:35 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:50 am too many special snowflakes in this politically correct social media generation, its cringey
What are you on about? My kid is pretty tough already. I don't think beating him around the shop is going to have any desirable results. And seriously, you are commenting on a topic you have no experience of, that's cringey.
In Jamie's defence, Jean Jacque Rousseau, the father of modern childcare, forced his long term partner to hand everyone of his three kids over to an orphanage. He did great work in such things as getting rid of the obsession with 'swaddling' babies - the very common practice at the time to wrap babies in bandages so they couldn't move their arms or legs. The very thought of it sends cold shivers down my spine.
Perhaps he got rid of his kids because he knew he'd have to burn the books he wrote.

Man's nature can often be transcended,

for a little while,

until it comes crashing back to reality.
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

juansweetpotato wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:49 am

In Jamie's defence, Jean Jacque Rousseau, the father of modern childcare, forced his long term partner to hand everyone of his three kids over to an orphanage.

That's a great defense, and truly someone to emulate. :roll:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:59 am
juansweetpotato wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:49 am

In Jamie's defence, Jean Jacque Rousseau, the father of modern childcare, forced his long term partner to hand everyone of his three kids over to an orphanage.

That's a great defense, and truly someone to emulate. :roll:
That was the point of me posting that - THE father of modern childcare gave all his kids away.
It's a mad world.

Btw I was just editing to include this at the end of my last post.

But,
in support of jb's post, I beleive that kids generally feel a great amount of injustice when beaten for small things, or things they haven't done - or that just are suffering from hyper activity.
Imo, All that beating children does in those situations is instill a life long rage. That's no good for anyone in the end.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

When I went to school, we still had the cane. Got nailed a couple of times, it hasn't made me want to burn cats or anything. It was par for the course.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

hanno wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:21 am When I went to school, we still had the cane. Got nailed a couple of times, it hasn't made me want to burn cats or anything. It was par for the course.
But how did it make you feel deep down inside?
Did you tell your parents?
What did they say?
Were you hyper active?
Was it for a small thing?
Did you feel a sense of injustice, or that you deserved it for being a little shit?
How did it make you feel?

I think punishment by family is much worse than punishment by outside authority. That includes the anger felt at parents for putting and keeping them in a situation like the Christian Brothers.
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

As a child, if I could see a point of punishment or at least felt the authority was doing it in my best interests, then I was okay with them as people. I still didn't like the punishment and stopped attending school because of it, but I held no resentment to those people.

The people that punished me for no reason, or were hypocritical in their standards, that is what I have a problem with.
-insert signature here
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

juansweetpotato wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:25 am
hanno wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:21 am When I went to school, we still had the cane. Got nailed a couple of times, it hasn't made me want to burn cats or anything. It was par for the course.

Pretty cool, only the bad dudes got caned.

I am not sure.

What did they say?

Again, not sure; this is a little while ago.

Were you hyper active?

Just a normal teenager, those days nobody tried to calm down the kids with meds

All the rules by the school were small things: no fighting, not flirting with the girls, not giving lip to the teacher. Boring stuff really.

Did you feel a sense of injustice, or that you deserved it for being a little shit?

I am sure I deserved it but it was like a badge of honor.

As above.

I think punishment by family is much worse than punishment by outside authority. That includes the anger felt at parents for putting and keeping them in a situation like the Christian Brothers.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

hanno wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:59 am
juansweetpotato wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:25 am
hanno wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:21 am

When I went to school, [/b

]we still had the cane. Got nailed a couple of times, it hasn't made me want to burn cats or anything. It was par for the course.

Pretty cool, only the bad dudes got caned.

I am not sure.

What did they say?

Again, not sure; this is a little while ago.

Were you hyper active?

Just a normal teenager, those days nobody tried to calm down the kids with meds

All the rules by the school were small things: no fighting, not flirting with the girls, not giving lip to the teacher. Boring stuff really.

I am sure I deserved it but it was like a badge of honor.

As above.

After reading your post,,, looks like you only went to school to eat your lunch.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic