77% of Cambodian parents use physical punishment against children.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: 77% of Cambodian parents use physical punishment against children.

Post by StroppyChops »

As a kid, had to regularly choose between the belt and the metal-edged ruler. Often beaten unconscious by the old man when he was drunk, or just feeling mean. Occasionally concussed by my mother banging my brother and my heads together. Forgiven, never forgotten. There's a line between discipline and abuse, but the old man seemed to have the understanding of that line beaten from him by the Christian Brothers, and possibly his old man before he was abandoned.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:29 pm My parent's weren't too strict, but I remember getting thrashed by them a few times too (usually for good reasons, like throwing rocks at passing cars etc). Teachers used to be fairly nasty when I was in school. After corporal punishment got banned around 1984 they didn't even acknowledge it and they beat the shit out of us worse than before. In this period I had both eardrums perforated, one time by a lay teacher and the next by a fucking monk.
So anyway I don't generally hit my kid, unless he does something really dangerous. His mom is one of those 77%, which wouldn't bother me except that the punishments always seem very arbitrary, and I can't see what the point is except just perpetuating obedience to idiocy.
Did she beat your kid when she found out that the gold braclet had been stolen?

I had to leave Westline because they were doing things like whacking 10 year olds in the face with ac remotes. The kids didn't deserve that treatment.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:55 pm i see nothing wrong with a kid getting a spanked bottom as a line of discipline
How many kids do you have Jamie?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

juansweetpotato wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:29 pm

Did she beat your kid when she found out that the gold bracelet had been stolen?
No, that was blamed on me! She's more likely to get into silly tit-for-tat escalations with him, she's not really brutal or anything. It just never seems to make much sense why he's being punished other than they have been at loggerheads for a while.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Kuroneko wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:35 pm
Luigi wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:11 pm Kuroneko wrote,
'' When wearing a hat, it would be suitable etiquette to take it off when going indoors, into a shop or when talking to a lady on the street.

Wondering why this is. Any ideas where it originated.
Heres a couple of reasons:

“A relic of the ancient custom of taking off the helmet when no danger
is nigh. A man takes off his hat to show that he dares stand unarmed
in your presence.”

In the 16th to the 18th centuries in England, the donning and doffing of hats was governed by a code of etiquette and custom that it is hard for us now to appreciate. Every man of standing wore a hat, and the form of hat and the rules governing when it could be removed or for whom it should be raised in acknowledgement were bewilderingly complex. Hat doffing was an accompaniment to bowing and the depth of the bow determined how far the hat was lifted.

A bit like five versions of performing Sampeah in Cambodia

Edit: Highly relevant I think :thumb:
AE86 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:31 pm My mum would say this to me too (removing my hat indoors). Told me it was disrespectful to the homeowner because it was implying the house was not a hospitable place to the point of still needing one's hat. She also received somewhat of a British education as well if that matters.
Have you read any Scottish history? If you have you will note that most of the perceived English Victorian etiquette, actually comes from Edinburgh during the Scottish enlightenment. They wanted to show they were better than their English counterparts, and wrote many books on the subject. Some of which became popular guides to English etiquette.
Ref: Smoute - A history of the Scottish People.
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:32 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:55 pm i see nothing wrong with a kid getting a spanked bottom as a line of discipline
none, not that it makes much different
my kids would be likely to get a spanked bottom if they deserve it
its not like bringing out the belt is it
the spank is more to do with the shock factor rather than actually hurting the kid
(im a parenting expert obviously lol)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: 77% of Cambodian parents use physical g against children.

Last edited by juansweetpotato on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

too many special snowflakes in this politically correct social media generation, its cringey
my mates trying to find a labourer to work for him, his last one quit after a few hours because "he was working him too hard"
his record in 3 in 1 week before
pfft
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:51 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:32 pm
none, not that it makes much different
Actually it makes a huge difference when it happens. I'm not saying you're wrong in your views of raising children, just saying that being single and open vs. being a commited parent very much changes you.
-insert signature here
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

There are three times over the past years when I have got involved in mothers ? hitting kids. Twice on riverside and once at Wat Phnom. The one I remember most was on r/side , I ended up grabbing the stick off the lady and throwing it into the river, then looked at the blood on my hand caused by several small nails that were in the stick. Only then to be attacked by the lady with another stick and I was saved by a guy wearing his moto helmet who attacked her.

I have a crazy crazy 5 yo [ nearly 6 ] in my family and hitting her would be no big deal for her. She would just laugh and enjoy the punishment, so her punishment is usually missing out on being given something or left at home while her sister goes somewhere.

Could be a problem solved by using Ritalin ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic