Woman arrested for stealing chain from 5 year old.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Woman arrested for stealing chain from 5 year old.

Post by juansweetpotato »

AE86 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:43 pm What was the 5 year old doing with a gold chain anyway?
Rubbing it in poor people's faces by proxy.
Whoever put that chain round that child's neck is many times more culpable imo. Alot of the time the kids get murdered for them.
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AE86 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:32 pm
jaynewcastle wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:27 pm
Totally irrelevant, the thief is completely in the wrong, whoever she stole from. The fact that she robbed a 5 year old defenceless child is just despicable

I'm not saying the thief was somehow in the right, I was wondering what the hell a 5 year old is doing with a gold chain in the first place. Seems stupid beyond reason if you ask me.

Anyway, was just talking to my wife however and she told me a lot of rural people will buy gold and "bling" their kids out to show off their wealth and how much they "care" and are good parents. Still sound stupid after hearing her explanation.
My kid had a gold bracelet and necklaces when he was really young. Before he was able to speak I brought him to Olympic Stadium near my house and his bracelet was missing when we got home. I'm pretty sure it was stolen off his wrist by someone who was being a bit creepy and approached us. I thought it might be worth $30 or something but it turned out it was 1 chi, maybe $200 or something. Stupid thing to put on a kid anyway, and if I'd known I would have left it at home.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:40 pm
Totally irrelevant, the thief is completely in the wrong, whoever she stole from. The fact that she robbed a 5 year old defenceless child is just despicable

I'm not saying the thief was somehow in the right, I was wondering what the hell a 5 year old is doing with a gold chain in the first place. Seems stupid beyond reason if you ask me.

Anyway, was just talking to my wife however and she told me a lot of rural people will buy gold and "bling" their kids out to show off their wealth and how much they "care" and are good parents. Still sound stupid after hearing her explanation.
My kid had a gold bracelet and necklaces when he was really young. Before he was able to speak I brought him to Olympic Stadium near my house and his bracelet was missing when we got home. I'm pretty sure it was stolen off his wrist by someone who was being a bit creepy and approached us. I thought it might be worth $30 or something but it turned out it was 1 chi, maybe $200 or something. Stupid thing to put on a kid anyway, and if I'd known I would have left it at home.
Gotta watch out for those really big portentous smiles.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:40 pm I thought it might be worth $30 or something but it turned out it was 1 chi, maybe $200 or something. Stupid thing to put on a kid anyway, and if I'd known I would have left it at home.
I'm guessing by the gold price that this was around 5-6 years ago?
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

My question was why the need to cut the chain? Couldn't the thief manage the clasp?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I have no idea, I just looked up a Chi and apparently it is 37.14 grams, there's no way this thing was more than a few grams.

My question was why the need to cut the chain? Couldn't the thief manage the clasp?
It's much easier, stealthier and quicker to cut through a chain than negotiate a clasp. The other method is to just pull it off till it breaks, which risks losing the item. The downside is that it can't be resold as jewelry, the upside is that gold is gold and you can just weigh that stuff in anytime.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

A Chi is 3.75 grams, and "Dom Laung" is 37.5 grams.

As of now a Chi is worth around $150-160 give or take now, back in 2011 well over $200. That's if it's 99.99% gold. If it's anything less than pure "red" gold, then of course it's worth less, and lots of jewelry is alloyed with less precious metals, often times for durability.
-insert signature here
Ryu Natsu978
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Ryu Natsu978 »

When you're short on Ice money smh :cunt:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

in england, parents put money into a bank account set up for the child, in Cambodia they buy them Gold, the same reason all Cambodians (girls especially) kit themselves out in Gold, plus is their kid is kitted out in Gold it gives them face
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:36 pm

in england, parents put money into a bank account set up for the child, in Cambodia they buy them Gold, the same reason all Cambodians (girls especially) kit themselves out in Gold, plus is their kid is kitted out in Gold it gives them face

I would think it as being more equatable to British parents that dress their kids in designer lables.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic