Reliably ordering/importing stuff of eBay?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Reliably ordering/importing stuff of eBay?

Post by AE86 »

Hi all,

Has anyone ordered stuff off of eBay and had it sent to Cambodia? Trying to figure how to order something and have it sent here without getting it stolen or having shipping cost a fortune.

Normally I just use my shipping company to deal with customs, shipping, etc from Vietnam but this time I need to order something Vietnam doesn't have. It's light (100 grams) and small (2 x 2 inches) and not that expensive (maybe $25 worth).

Any help appreciated on the matter.
-insert signature here
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Reliably ordering/importing stuff of eBay?

Post by timmydownawell »

If you can find it on Aliexpress the shipping will probably be cheaper than Ebay, but either way make sure it has tracking. And put your phone number in your address.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I've ordered a few things of eBay. Nothing big or expensive just some toys for the kids.

Out of 8 parcels I only never received 1 of them.

beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

I've used eBay 25+ times from here (Ta Khmao) only had a problem once, owner didn't send the item, and the money was refunded promptly from eBay.
Shop around for best shipping
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Thanks for the reference, but Aliexpress doesn't have what I need. Re: Kiwi, I'm hoping to find a reliable channel where I can start to consistently order more expensive and complex things, so I'm trying with this small order to get a feel of things. Thank you though. Re: Beaker...any chance anything you order anything from mainland China?  I did find that an eBay seller in China has what I need and is offering "Free" international shipping, but I'm not sure how much I trust the Cambodian post system

And then shipping how did you go about it? Last time I tried Fedex it was 5 times more than the thing was worth, DHL was 3 times, and the Cambodian post system stole the package I had sent over (caught them red handed with the box open).
-insert signature here
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Most items I have had sent with no tracking went missing (I bought a few low cost things from China to test out the mail). But all the Registered ones arrived: the PO will call you to come and pick them up, which is why it must have your phone number on it.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I've had untracked get here no problem, just remember it can take up to three months. Don't be like Sailorman, tip the guys at the PO. I'm sure his post smells like shit

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

AE86 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:08 am Thanks for the reference, but Aliexpress doesn't have what I need. Re: Kiwi, I'm hoping to find a reliable channel where I can start to consistently order more expensive and complex things, so I'm trying with this small order to get a feel of things. Thank you though. Re: Beaker...any chance anything you order anything from mainland China?  I did find that an eBay seller in China has what I need and is offering "Free" international shipping, but I'm not sure how much I trust the Cambodian post system

And then shipping how did you go about it? Last time I tried Fedex it was 5 times more than the thing was worth, DHL was 3 times, and the Cambodian post system stole the package I had sent over (caught them red handed with the box open).
Yes about 1/3 of my eBay items have been from china I also order from GearBest.com and almost all of there stuff is from China. The free shipping from china is OK it doesn't come any faster is you pay a little extra and no use paying for the tracking from china it alway lags way behind.
The shipping is usually up to the seller in my experience. I have asked to have item sent for a cheaper rate and/or combined shipping for multiple items with success. I haven't had any problems with the post office but I'm just outside of Phnom Penh at a small and friendly post office never had any problems. Never paid customs fees but haven't orderd electronics over $250 have had large/expensive boxes of bike parts around $500
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I don't have personal experience but have read that it's worth having a post office box. That way there's fewer hands on your item and the PO calls to tell you it's there. As said above, put your number in the shipping address.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

beaker wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:33 pm no use paying for the tracking from china it alway lags way behind.
I've never had that problem. The tracking usually shows the item arrived in Cambodia and a few days later I'll get a call from the PO to collect it. This is using China Post registered airmail. It's always been spot on.

I've got a PO box as well now, so I'm trialling that for small untracked items to see how that goes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic