Avocado

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Avocado

Post by frank lee bent »

the season is back on, it is all too short. i thought they only grew in the mountains, but found out they do well in Kep and Kampong Cham.
it is one of the most lucrative tree crops out there in other countries alongside macadamia.
it seems all the local fruit are from seedlings, they are a lot more fruity tasting than a hass
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Avocado

Post by John Bingham »

I don't see them on sale often though. I went into the scummy part of Psah Damkor a couple of weeks ago and only one stall had some, 10,000 a kilo (4 large avocados).
Silence, exile, and cunning.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yeah fragmented supply chain.
they are kinda hard to handle and still new to Khmers mostly.
macadamia would do well here too.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

When heading down to the entrance to Wat Sonsomkosal, on the left about 10 - 15 meters down there's a little shop which always has a few out the front. I don't eat them, so I can't tell you what the price is.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Explains the sudden large pile of them in Samudera
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

frank lee bent wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:05 pm the season is back on, it is all too short. i thought they only grew in the mountains, but found out they do well in Kep and Kampong Cham.
it is one of the most lucrative tree crops out there in other countries alongside macadamia.
it seems all the local fruit are from seedlings, they are a lot more fruity tasting than a hass
The times I've eaten local ones out here, I've found them a bit hard and lumpy with a possibly bitter taste.
Did you grow your own,? How would you describe their consistency and texture/ taste?
Would it b possible to introduce a non hard - lumpy variety?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

^^Sounds like you didn't get ripe ones. They need to be slightly brown and a little squishy to the grip by hand...don't know how else to describe.

The avocadoes I find here are on the squishier sweeter side compared to ones I'm used to. Ones I know have firmer and "milkier" meat on them and have a more vegetable taste.
-insert signature here
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

They are a weird fruit in that there are such short windows between them being hard and rubbery, ripe, and grey and stringy. That might be why you see them on tuk-a-lok carts a lot but not on menus. If you blend them up you can get a few more days out of them. I wish they were more easily available, I love them with a bit of vinegar and oil as a snack.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

AE86 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:14 pm ^^Sounds like you didn't get ripe ones. They need to be slightly brown and a little squishy to the grip by hand...don't know how else to describe.

The avocadoes I find here are on the squishier sweeter side compared to ones I'm used to. Ones I know have firmer and "milkier" meat on them and have a more vegetable taste.
Ok, I've only tried them a couple of times out here. I did wait about 5 days before trying to eat them, as they were rock hard when I bought them. They seemed to be rotting on the soft ripe parts, while other bits were still hard.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

That's the problem with fucking avocados, when they are right they taste great, but nine times out of ten they aren't right. I think the best avocados I ever had were in Zambia, they were huge and really cheap. They were more that mushy/oily style than the watery ones described here earlier. 8-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic