Lurker colonistin, I've reported you to admin, you're wasting your time

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Lurker colonistin, I've reported you to admin, you're wasting your time

Post by General Mackevili »

AE86 wrote:I think this thread reflects a very important flaw in the system. One single user can completely destroy an entire user's Karma. i.e. If ONE user disliked 30 of my posts, I'd be in the negative right now. I know code and add-on features are complex and expensive, but this really is a problem I don't think can be overlooked.

If there's a way to "Hide Karma" from displaying on a user's profile but keep the post rating I'm for that, but if not, I'll cast a vote that Karma should be done away with.
Come on. There is NO user-generated feedback/karma/reputation/like/points system that isn't vulnerable to manipulation.

Think you can get Facebook to remove a "sad face" reaction? No.

Think you can get Reddit to remove a down vote? No.

YouTube to remove a thumbs down? No.

Get CEO to remove negative KARMA points? Um, well yeah, we can do that, and have, in some cases of abuse.

So how is CEO's karma function to flawed compared to other systems that CAN'T even be corrected when noticed?

No system which allows USERS to give other users feedback is perfect, but ours seems as good as it can possibly get, as we can and do remedy cases of abuse.

Jesus, I can't believe we even have to address this.

Stroppy got -2 karma points, and I see no reason to do anything. I don't see that as abuse. They perp has given good karma to others, and Stroppy received -1 two times. Hell, he could have given -3 each time, but was very modest instead.

So, please continue to report abuse, but don't get too worked up over it. As stated before, you won't be auto-banned or anything, so it's really nothing to sweat.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

What's the difference between "Rate post positive" (thumb up button) and "Rate post positive" (numerical icon)?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ I just clicked on the 'numerical icon' on your post and it gives a message 'there are no karma points'. So I guess you can only click on the thumbs up or down.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Think I just figured it out. The numerical icon is the cumulative score for the post. So its floating title maybe ought to say, duh, "Post's cumulative score".
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:42 pm Come on. There is NO user-generated feedback/karma/reputation/like/points system that isn't vulnerable to manipulation.
I know that any system is vulnerable to manipulation, and don't take this as I am advocating a nanny forum, what I am saying however is that one user could downvote 30, 50, 100 or let's take my fairly "low" 700 something posts and drain an entire user's karma and permanently put someone into the negative abyss.

My point was that the system could be very easily manipulated by ONE ill intentioned user, so if the user wanted to downvote SC into negative numbers, it would only take a matter of minutes which in effect, renders the entire system useless as an effective rating system for anything.
-insert signature here
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

AE86 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:55 pm
General Mackevili wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:42 pm Come on. There is NO user-generated feedback/karma/reputation/like/points system that isn't vulnerable to manipulation.
I know that any system is vulnerable to manipulation, and don't take this as I am advocating a nanny forum, what I am saying however is that one user could downvote 30, 50, 100 or let's take my fairly "low" 700 something posts and drain an entire user's karma and permanently put someone into the negative abyss.

My point was that the system could be very easily manipulated by ONE ill intentioned user, so if the user wanted to downvote SC into negative numbers, it would only take a matter of minutes which in effect, renders the entire system useless as an effective rating system for anything.

So what>>its all BS anyway,Never have liked it.
I still dont see why admin wont run a poll and see what the users think ( as after all its OUR forum) :stir: and if it should stay as i suggested>>>>>
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

What a load of childish nonsense.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

after all its OUR forum
Whois does not agree
i tend to think of fora the same way i think of pubs ( Public House)
just because you drink there does not make you a shareholder - a patron yes

karma points are i think intended to be a way- however weak, of rating opinions on an individual level.
people are taking it personally, instead of seeing it as a desirable addition to the site.
fora are not popularity contests- they derive from the old BBS as a place to hold discussions often centering on a particular point of interest- in our case Cambodia.

What a bunch of crybabies, if you want to consider a neg as personal well neg them back, duh. I am over you guys- you act like 10 year olds.

being a mod is a real pain in the ass. it takes up time thinking about what is essentially quibbling bullshit like this debate over karma point, and takes away time from productive effort.

Are we not men ( and women- the ones who were not run off by trolls )?

i would like to see any of the chronic complainers here own and operate a successful forum.

you may not have noticed but CEO has for some weeks now had higher traffic than TOF.

So despite all the crying about hurt feelings over karma points and which troll is having a holiday and which troll is perma banned there must be some decent content in here somewhere. Thanks to the providers of the interesting stuff.

so send me neg karma now. i am a big boy and won't cry where anyone can see me.

btw- fuck safe spaces and polls
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AE86 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:55 pmI know that any system is vulnerable to manipulation, and don't take this as I am advocating a nanny forum, what I am saying however is that one user could downvote 30, 50, 100 or let's take my fairly "low" 700 something posts and drain an entire user's karma and permanently put someone into the negative abyss.

I think the group collective has chosen to overlook that this was never about two lousy karma points, but rather exactly what you've expressed here.
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:02 pmSo what>>its all BS anyway,Never have liked it.
I still dont see why admin wont run a poll and see what the users think ( as after all its OUR forum) :stir: and if it should stay as i suggested>>>>>
Because, you know, it's "our forum." Just ask Frank.

frank lee bent wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:35 pmi would like to see any of the chronic complainers here own and operate a successful forum.
Oh, the irony, it hurts! IT HURTS! Hey Cambod, I have irony burns.
frank lee bent wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:35 pmi would like to see any of the chronic complainers here own and operate a successful forum.

you may not have noticed but CEO has for some weeks now had higher traffic than TOF.

So despite all the crying about hurt feelings over karma points and which troll is having a holiday and which troll is perma banned there must be some decent content in here somewhere. Thanks to the providers of the interesting stuff.
You're welcome - actually, the forum is welcome, you seem to have turned into a TOF-style admin since turning green.

Footnote
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
ricefarmersdaughter
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by ricefarmersdaughter »

a safe space for the snowflakes to crybwhen they get a negative point sounds like a good plan , FLB and JL are actually way cooler mods than the TOF.
Locked Previous topicNext topic