TEFL question (please don't lynch me)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hatchelt
Expatriate
Great Britain

TEFL question (please don't lynch me)

Post by hatchelt »

I'm thinking of getting a TEFL qualification as a backup in case my other lines of employment fail (Project Manager, general IT).

Are there people on here making a living from teaching English? If so, what qualifications do you have? How many hours TEFL training did you opt for and was it fairly easy landing a job?

Any advice or suggestions (nice ones) would be greatly appreciated.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: TEFL question (please don't lynch me)

Post by Kuroneko »

hatchelt wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:34 am I'm thinking of getting a TEFL qualification as a backup in case my other lines of employment fail (Project Manager, general IT).

Are there people on here making a living from teaching English? If so, what qualifications do you have? How many hours TEFL training did you opt for and was it fairly easy landing a job?

Any advice or suggestions (nice ones) would be greatly appreciated.
hatchelt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by hatchelt »

Well...yeah ok, cats with popcorn are appreciated too.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

I can't tell you about Cambodia, but to be 'worth' anything, a TEFL certificate course should be a minimum of 120 hours and have a classroom component.
You could be next.
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

Do a course at ACE in PP or SR.

Expect $10/hr. if paid hourly or $800 a month if paid monthly.

There are better deals but they are fewer and usually in demand.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I spent 20 years in academia and some of that in accreditation management - to the best of my knowledge there is not one single legitimate TEFL trainer in Cambodia from which a qualification is recognised in other countries. This may have recently changed, but I doubt it. The reason behind this is that the rest of the world (the adults, if you like) know how easily and cheaply Cambodian institutions pass out qualifications - and so to actually try to offer a real course with accreditation is almost impossible.

I agree with Cruisemonkey - to be taken seriously, a TEFL qualification should be 120 hours or more, and these should be actual hours, not 120 hours spent magically on a single weekend. 120 hours refers to accredited hours, not participation hours.

A TEFL qualification will get you a head-start on broke English-speaking backpackers, but you won't progress to the big money without an actual teaching qualification. Bear this in mind if you choose to invest in an expensive piece of paper.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
ricefarmersdaughter
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by ricefarmersdaughter »

are you sure you wanna become an english teacher in SEA?

judging by my experiences ive seen most turn into mad alcoholics or lose the plot completely and shit there pants in PP streets or end up murdering there room mates in myanmar.

if you value your sanity steer well cleae of the whole region mate Cambodia is not for the faint hearted.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

take 24 off trapper for pseudo advice to a new guy who is asking for informed opinion rather than the ravings of someone who failed to integrate into the local economy.
some of our members here are respected and qualified teachers with decades of experience.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

ricefarmersdaughter wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:27 pm are you sure you wanna become an english teacher in SEA?

judging by my experiences ive seen most turn into mad alcoholics or lose the plot completely and shit there pants in PP streets or end up murdering there room mates in myanmar.

if you value your sanity steer well cleae of the whole region mate Cambodia is not for the faint hearted.
It's certainly not as good as it used to be here. Harder to find work, and less money by around a half than 10 to 15 years ago.
Bring at least 5 grand in savings and look for work immediately you arrive. Get some decent travel insurance that will fly you to Thailand if the shit hits the fan while you're here.
A much better alernative nowadays would be to try to find a job for 6 months in the west, and take a 6 month hoIiday here every year.
If you like to pop pills and have ever considered suicide, perhaps it'd be best not to come.
Just my own opinion of course.
Not much to do when you're not working. No public parks. Lots of bars, where nearly everyone goes to releive the perpetual boredom. There is more, but you have to work hard to find it.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

frank lee bent wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:52 pm take 24 off trapper for pseudo advice to a new guy who is asking for informed opinion rather than the ravings of someone who failed to integrate into the local economy.
some of our members here are respected and qualified teachers with decades of experience.
Giggle. Well, maybe inside Cambodia they are. :stir:

Not necessarilly the teachers' fault. More to do with the reputation of its schools that are, in the main, run by gangsters.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic